'06 Summer Jamz

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    woman-friendly songs

please define - serious question.

Trivialize it all you want, bitch.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Also, listening to that album, it's difficult for me to imagine women getting into any of the material on it.

Try stepping out of your iron-clad box for a moment. Here in Texas (at the very least), there are tons of women who have been going gagga over both "Turn It Up" and especially "Ridin" since almost last summer. And neither of those are even close to the most woman-friendly songs on the album.

But I suppose a place where women cry at Z-Ro concerts doesn't exist to you.......................................................................until the NY Times does an article on it.

Don't be a poptart, Shied.

Cham is basically nerd rap. I am just telling you the real.

I agree with you 99.9% of the time when it comes to all things rap-hop, but you're bugging on this one doud.

You don't think?

I've been a fan for years, but I can't feel much of anything Cham's done since parting ways with Paw Waw--Paul always leavened his nerdier tendencies. For me it was basically over with Mixtape Messiah, which I found unlistenable. Cham's one of the few formerly regional rappers that I thought might really benefit from signing to a major and being pressured to do more commercially accessible material, but in the end his album didn't do anything for me.

I don't disagree at all with your assesment of his music, I wanted to like his album really bad because I think he's a real rapper's rapper so to speak, but I gotta say that the thing that has gotten him over and helped him keep on pushing units is that he seems to appeal to a little bit of everyone. He definitely has a ton of female fans, and I think in general his formerly mixtape-centric fanbase has now expanded to the most mainstream of 16 year old girls and white kids who rock GUnit clothing are checking for him. Also, I gotta say that I think Paul Wall has suffered as much from their parting of ways as Cham has. I'm not really into either of their solo material, but I loved everything they did together. They need to kiss and make up.

Yeah, I've been looking at the SoundScan numbers every week and have wondered publicly who it is that keeps buying that album--Shied is pretty much the only longtime fan I know in the real world or on the internets that is enthusiastic about it.

And I agree that they would both be artistically better off if they made up, although that doesn't appear to be the direction Paul plans to take his career... it looks like he is intent on squeezing all that he can out of his novelty, through reality shows on VH1 and the like.

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts
    wooah woah, sheezy.

I don't think the queen would appreciate that kind of language, sir.

haha.

U.N.I.T.Y.

You don't think?

I've been a fan for years, but I can't feel much of anything Cham's done since parting ways with Paw Waw--Paul always leavened his nerdier tendencies. For me it was basically over with Mixtape Messiah, which I found unlistenable. Cham's one of the few formerly regional rappers that I thought might really benefit from signing to a major and being pressured to do more commercially accessible material, but in the end his album didn't do anything for me.

And of course your lone opinion trumps those of hundreds of thousands who would not only disagree with you but also constitute a much realer representation of the non-nerd rap fan population.

This is obviously a lil hipster gamble on your part...to toss Cham to the side...that you will NOT WIN within any rap audience this side of the Fat Joe Fan Club.

I like Cham, dude--I just don't like Cham's album. And why is "nerd rap" such a hot button subject for you?

• CahootsCahoots 378 Posts
    -

• SexyBNyceSexyBNyce 371 Posts
    RICK ROSS[/b]

• RICK ROSS[/b]

to slow on the tempo to really get the summer vibe going

RICK ROSS[/b]

You think? That seems to have lost momentum in New York--I'm not really hearing it like I was.

• SexyBNyceSexyBNyce 371 Posts
    RICK ROSS[/b]

You think? That seems to have lost momentum in New York--I'm not really hearing it like I was.

It's on about every 15 mins in chicago.
    delayed 808 clap

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts
    I'd wager that "Promiscuous Girl" is set to blow. Moreso than No Hay Igual, I think.

I agree, although No Hay is a better track. Promiscuous is more likely to catch on to a wide range of people (ie it is poppier).

I'd like to hear more of Mighty O though.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    nelly furtado = summer jamz 2006

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i would enjoy it if eightball and mjg's ridin high became the 06 summer jam but i doubt it will get ample promotion

• sonofsamsonofsam 680 Posts
    Rhianna - SOS

watch. it's steady climbing the charts as we speak. yes i know it's been out for a minute, but it's just gaining heat. personally i find the song catchy as hell! that Tainted Love sample is addictive.

here's some ammo for your potential summer jam dildo

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts
    i think Busta Rhymes - I Love My Bitch has some potential.

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts
    and that sergio mendes shit

If Starbucks has their way, this may actually come to fruition.

I picked Rihanna "Pon de Replay" as one of the contenders last year--it was one of the few songs from the original thread to survive the summer. I'll reserve judgment at least until Memorial Day, however.

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    what about Trae's "Swang"? It's recently replaced Rick Ross as my favorite regional rap tune.

OR IS IT TOO MANLY FOR ME TO ENJOY, FAUX??!!

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    "what you know"

this was my second choice. another song that is gaining heat right now, yet has been around for a couple months.

lean bACK AND THE MARIAH SHIT and stuff of years past were always a couple months old by the summer.

i can never remember a summerjam past the previous year.

• TSGTSG 274 Posts
    "what you know"

this was my second choice. another song that is gaining heat right now, yet has been around for a couple months.

lean bACK AND THE MARIAH SHIT and stuff of years past were always a couple months old by the summer.

i can never remember a summerjam past the previous year.

the ti might make it...the rub chicago crowd was feelin it more than i expected...thought it was dead by now but it dawned on me that it could be strong enough...sounds hefty loud, too.

rick ross on the radio all the time is not a good look...ass hurt like the 92.3 dj's and their wack voices. what about the sinden bmore remix? not enough appeal to be a "summer jam" i suppose...

outkast's new joint...hmmm...nice to hear andre rappin but the track during their verses is bland. i love my bitch is a solid sleeper pick...hope we have more to choose from...

can't front on the anthem status of sos for the high school crowd which will carry it through the summer...ughhhh

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

Also, listening to that album, it's difficult for me to imagine women getting into any of the material on it.

Try stepping out of your iron-clad box for a moment. Here in Texas (at the very least), there are tons of women who have been going gagga over both "Turn It Up" and especially "Ridin" since almost last summer. And neither of those are even close to the most woman-friendly songs on the album.

But I suppose a place where women cry at Z-Ro concerts doesn't exist to you.......................................................................until the NY Times does an article on it.

Please, i like cham pretty good, but he aint got no summer jam.

Summer Jams

1. T.I. - Why You Wanna - this is as good as gold fellas. wait till theres a video for it, people will lose it.

2. Young Joc - its goin down. - One of the hardest southern beats out right now. Mezmerizing hook.

3. Rick Ross - Hustlin (or possibly the remix with jay and jeezy)

4. Whatever Dem Franchise Boyz chooses to release next. DOesnt matter.

And for my super duper longshot pick......

Cory Gunz feat. lil wayne - what you know about this.

thats it fellas.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    uh dude...

you don't got tell me mayne...i am trying to stay clear. but the hype machine has started and this chick could very likely pull the "i am from uk thus pay me more attention" crowd.

oh yeah...for right now i am going with Kelis "bossy" too.

Lily Allen definitely got the (UK) blogosphere going nuts. Her shit leans more toward the Gwen Stefani end of things in terms of appeal, so she could end up making more of a mark commercially than either MIA or Sov.

The whole concept of the "summer jam" doesn't really apply to the UK, since (as anyone who's ever spent any time here between June & August will tell you) summer isn't really a given in this country. Nevertheless, I do like checking these threads, because it's interesting to see how much of the material people talk about ends up crossing over to a UK audience, and to what extent - for example, I expected "Lean Back" to be a bigger UK hit than it was. Obviously, Mariah was the sound of the summer everywhere last year, whether you liked it or not.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

1. T.I. - Why You Wanna - this is as good as gold fellas. wait till theres a video for it, people will lose it.

This is a good call. It might be the corniest track on "King" by some distance, but its broader appeal is undeniable.

This is a good call. It might be the corniest track on "King" by some distance, but its broader appeal is undeniable.

No. The corniest track on "King" is unquestionably "stand up guy". The crystal waters flip on the other hand is one of the high points of the record in my opinion.

Also, just for the record.

1. Cham is Nerd Rap. (not neccesarily bad, but it is what it is.)

2. his album was crappy. (face it)

3. I cant remember what it was i originally liked about paul wall these days.

4. Women dont cry at Z-ro concerts.....Anywhere.

5. Whats Guzzo's problem these days?

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    Rhianna - SOS

watch. it's steady climbing the charts as we speak. yes i know it's been out for a minute, but it's just gaining heat. personally i find the song catchy as hell! that Tainted Love sample is addictive.

Somewhere, Schnipper is tingling and he doesn't know why. Someone tell the boy to DL this post-haste.

This is dope. Thanks.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Summer Jams

2. Young Joc - its goin down. - One of the hardest southern beats out right now. Mezmerizing hook.

Damn, so this is really all we've got?

I stopped listening to the radio early this year, these were among the best songs they were playing and they didn't do much for me then

Its going to be a long summer I guess...

What we really need is a new Mike Jones album.

Summer Jams

Damn, so this is really all we've got?

How about Jeezy's "Ya Dig"--is that receiving play anywhere down south? I think it's supposed to be an official single... maybe for the USDA album.

Also Young Dro.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    whatcha'gon do when i bend the block
    pull up on that ass in a brand new drop
    speakers on blast with tremendous knock
    tv's in the dash rims just dont stop
    you need to be down witha pimp like me
    i aint turnin down nuthin but my collar ya see
    imma leave you with my number you should hollar at me
    cause imma balla cant nobody hustle harder than me....ooooooooooooOOOOOOOO

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    ooooooooooOOOOO that ass is right