abstract rude / ludacris / ciara song

anasarcasmanasarcasm 365 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
Someone was saying there is a Ciara song that Luda raps on that sounds very similar to the stylings of Ab Rude. Are you guys talking about the song OH? because i dont' really hear it except for that echo voice thing. Let me know..i'm curious. thanksl

Comments

• Insulin1200Insulin1200 396 Posts
    did luda BITE THE BLOWED?!

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Someone was saying there is a Ciara song that Luda raps on that sounds very similar to the stylings of Ab Rude. Are you guys talking about the song OH? because i dont' really hear it except for that echo voice thing. Let me know..i'm curious. thanks
    l

Ask Archaic. Be careful how you word your question, though, he may read it as if Ellay Khule was rhyming it and call you a biter.

(Just kidding, Archaic! Don't get all eastide Madstad at me!)

Herm

• ArchaicArchaic 633 Posts
    Ludacris engages in a few lines of double-timed, Ellay Khule-esque patterns. You can tell that Luda is experimenting with various styles within the song and IMO he just so happened upon one that has already been a staple of Project Blowed for like a decade now. Ain't no big deal though because it goes about as fast as it comes.

The Terror Squad song I caught on MTV2 today though...worst case of blatant Blowed biting I have heard in a long while.

• anasarcasmanasarcasm 365 Posts
    ok so which song was it? i'd like to hear the terror squad and the ciara song..

"you'se a slave to a page in my rhyme book"
    -

ok so which song was it? i'd like to hear the terror squad and the ciara song..

The Ciara song is "Oh"...with the blatant Screw bite on the beat to boot. Despite its sweeping derivativity, it's not all that bad a song.

I didn't catch the name of the Terror Squad song.

• anasarcasmanasarcasm 365 Posts
    i guess it's all cyclical....once again is the name of both 2mex and fat joe's new singles right? but the line was borrowed from a public enemy lyric.

Check this out:

http://www.terrorsquad.net/

(Goto Media & Downloads, click on teh video for "Take Me Home")

Fool even starts the video out rolling down Crenshaw.

I only caught the tail-end of the video today...yet I'm pretty sure this is it. The other dude in the video may even be biting worse in that from what I heard earlier today he at least can do the style a little better than Joe.

Is this some sort of subliminal payback for Joe getting please-pass-the-mic-ed right there on Crenshaw and Exposition 12 long years ago?

And y'all thought I was crazy...

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Dude, that's just double-time rhyming. Did the Blowed really invent that?

Is this some sort of subliminal payback for Joe getting please-pass-the-mic-ed right there on Crenshaw and Exposition 12 long years ago?

i think i heard about this. when he got booed out the blowed for not "flowing"(freestyling) during the song "flow joe". ha.

for a sec, i forgot about this "real" degree of seperation of cook coke>blowdian universe.

Ain't JUST double-time rhyming. Joe doesn't sound like Twista. He sounds like he's been jocking the Blowed. There are recognizable patterns there.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

The Terror Squad song I caught on MTV2 today though...worst case of blatant Blowed biting I have heard in a long while.

Jeezus, dude, do you not listen to any rap but Project Blowed? That sh!t only sounds exactly like the look-ma-I-can-do-doubletime track that every rapper to put an album out in the past six years has stuck on it somewhere.

Jeezus, dude, do you not listen to any rap but Project Blowed? That sh!t only sounds exactly like the look-ma-I-can-do-doubletime track that every rapper to put an album out in the past six years has stuck on it somewhere.

Nah, not everyone who does double-time uses those same patterns. In the past year the only stuff I've heard that did was Usher's Confessions, Luda on Ciara's joint, and now this.

I'd love to hear more examples though if you'd care to name some.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts

Ain't JUST double-time rhyming. Joe doesn't sound like Twista. He sounds like he's been jocking the Blowed. There are recognizable patterns there.

DUDE! Fat Joe probally doesn't even listen to his own crews' music (D.I.T.C.) you think he's listening to C.V.E.? That stuff probally doesn't even make it out to New York.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Im sure all these dudes set out to copy this shit that sold like 400 copies.

Come off it. Please. Shit reminds me of like how kool kieth thinks everyone is biting his shit.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Also, I dont know if it means much, but I grew up in atlanta, and I never heard of any of that shit.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Fat Joe doesn't even write his own rhymes! And the guy that writes them I can pretty well assure has never heard of Blowed let alone heard the music.

Funny shit.

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    Oh man. This conspiracy theory blowed shit never gets old to me. Each time it's equally as funny and ludicrous.

-e

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    Someone was saying there is a Ciara song that Luda raps on that sounds very similar to the stylings of Ab Rude. Are you guys talking about the song OH? because i dont' really hear it except for that echo voice thing. Let me know..i'm curious. thanks
    l

Over on the shrimp, I mentioned that Luda sounds like Ab Rude at the beginning of this Bobby Valentino song "Give me a Chance", but I was simply talking about his voice. Dude's voice just sounded like Ab Rude's and it grossed me out. I say this in the comments section:

"Why does Ludacris sound exactly like Ab Rude when he's talking at the beginning? It scares me each time I listen because I think it's another shitty Ab Rude song when in reality it's just a shitty Luda song."

Dunno if that's what you're referring to but I wouldn't put it past the Blowed conspiracy theorists to dig up some shit like this and have it morph into some "LUDA IS BITING AB RUDE!" shit.

-e

DUDE! Fat Joe probally doesn't even listen to his own crews' music (D.I.T.C.) you think he's listening to C.V.E.? That stuff probally doesn't even make it out to New York.

Fat Joe has been to the Goodlife. The video was shot on Crenshaw. Also there is no such thing as coincidence.

Im sure all these dudes set out to copy this shit that sold like 400 copies.

It worked out quite nicely for Coolio and Bone.

Also, I dont know if it means much, but I grew up in atlanta, and I never heard of any of that shit.

Nope, doesn't mean much at all...especially considering that you are not Fat Joe. It doesn't take a village to bite.

Fat Joe doesn't even write his own rhymes! And the guy that writes them I can pretty well assure has never heard of Blowed let alone heard the music.

It's an artist's responsibility not to put stuff out that is identical in design as a previous artist's work. It's well documented that Joe himself has been to the Goodlife...where in 93 at least Khule, Trend, PEACE, Fish, Ridd, Acey, Mikah, etc. among many others were all showcasing that very style. Plus since then the style has been spread about the industry to the point that it's likely that some bite indirectly rather than directly. In this case though, we're dealing with a direct bite.

Over on the shrimp, I mentioned that Luda sounds like Ab Rude at the beginning of this Bobby Valentino song "Give me a Chance", but I was simply talking about his voice. Dude's voice just sounded like Ab Rude's and it grossed me out. I say this in the comments section:

"Why does Ludacris sound exactly like Ab Rude when he's talking at the beginning? It scares me each time I listen because I think it's another shitty Ab Rude song when in reality it's just a shitty Luda song."

Dunno if that's what you're referring to but I wouldn't put it past the Blowed conspiracy theorists to dig up some shit like this and have it morph into some "LUDA IS BITING AB RUDE!" shit.

Why is there so much disdain for Ab Rude on this board? I don't get it.

• BELIEVEBELIEVE 257 Posts

On the subject of "style biting." Take this example...the Volkswagen Rabbit and the Chrysler Horizon (Dodge Omni):

vs.

Both have the distinctive angled hatchback rear, boxy lines, and stubby wheelbase, but Volkswagen was clearly the first to production in 1974. In fact, when the Horizon/Omni came out in 1977, people accused Chrysler of copying the ubiquitous VW hatchback design...and given Chrysler's interest in VW's engine block/design back then, it's relatively easy to connect the dots.

So what does this have to do with Blowed and Fat Joe?

In a market/industry/arena where all eyes are focused on certain key manufacturere/producers/creators (i.e. the 9 major auto makers), style biting happens with a vengeance in order to capitalize on efficiencies, clue in on popular aesthetic preferences, add value tot he product, and (ultimately) try to sell more units.

I think that this happens in rap...Cassidy being a great (and recent) example.

I think it also happens when someone hears some "super dope flow" and wants to "try that style out"/"go in that direction"/BITE (how many Mikah 9 Jr.s did I have to listen to in the last decade?). But Fat Joe consciously biting Ab Rude or Blowed? I highly doubt it. I would argue that certain styles just get absorbed into the collective consciousness of the artists creating new music. When Bone/Crucial Conflict/Blowed/Jay-Z/Twista did their thing, other artists heard it and ran with it...and people 15 years later are just now (ignorantly, perhaps) "discovering" the style or "incorporating" that flow into their repetoire. Not saying it's fair, not saying the style doesn't have a heritage, not even arguing that Blowed folks weren't the FIRST.

Having said all that, I also think that even armed with "clear" evidence ("that cadence was done by _______ 10 years ago!!") exposing the would-be biters, sometimes these things just happen. I recall an old backpacker's tale told to me of Jay-Z stealing the "return of the jedi/redeye" line from souls of mischief, along with the "tell me who profits" beat for Reasonable Doubt. comedy.

Archaic, not trying to discredit your associations (which are oftentimes legitimate to my ears), but I think sometimes you like to assign originator/biter relationships to these artists when it's just not that simple.

I'm also not directly equating rap style to car styling, so please don't let this analogy get your knickers twisted.

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    Isn't it a lot more obvious that new Fat Joe is just a bite of Jay-Z (Oh, but I forgot that Jay bit the Blowed, too)? And frankly who cares? He sounds a lot better since he started biting Jay. I'm actually excited for a Fat Joe album for the first time ever. Keep biting, homie!

Nothing is coincidence, but only because everything comes from somewhere. Nothing exists in a vaccuum.

Why is it so impossible to fathom that styles developed simultaneously and independent of each other?

-e

Archaic, just so I'm clear, you're arguing that:

Fat Joe, in 1993, went to goodlife. At this time he was NOT with ************* who writes for him. For the next twelve years, he continues to make the same "slow rap" records.

Twelve years later, ************ writes a song that has double time rhyming. This coincides with many hit songs from the South featuring the same style. The writer himself was never in LA or at Goodlife in 1993.

Fat Joe, despite not having written the song himself, is "biting" styles from a bunch of local MCs he heard twelve years previous? What, he was just patiently waiting for the moment to strike?

This is clearly proven by the fact that portions of the video were shot in LA?

Yes, I'm with you on the collective consciousness thing...which I account for by mentioning instances of indirect biting. But either way if you can connect the dots and say "this style here actually originated here", why not do so?

Shoot, I think that in many ways James Brown bit NOLA funk if it can be proven or not.

Anyway in this case, it should be OBVIOUS that 1. Fat Joe is toying with a style that is not his own and 2. that style sounds a whole hell of a lot like a trademarked Blowed flow. The fun part of it comes in when we factor in that Joe still has an ax to grind with the Blowed set over getting kicked off of stage at the Goodlife. Also when we consider that Joe choose to shooty his video on Crenshaw as if he was openly aware that he was coopting an LA steez, the "conspiracy" comes together all too nicely.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    Now I'm confused.

Is the cradle of civilization New Orleans, Houston or L.A.?

Dude, dude, dude. Fat Joe has made a whole lot of money and has sold more records that each Blowedian has sold put together. Do you HONESTLY think he has an "axe to grind"?

I think being dissed at the Blowed holds a lot more significance for you than it does for most rappers. I've been hearing this since the 90s, when dudes would come up to the Bay and say, "yeah this weird spot in LA, a whole bunch of local rappers, they boo everyone. Who are they?"

• Joe has always had ghost writers? I am guessing a few other DITC dudes as welL?

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    1. Fat Joe is toying with a style that is not his own

Well, we are doomed to argue forever because I am of the (apparently ridiculous) position that an intagible something like rhythm and/or cadence can't be "owned." Call me crazy.

-e

Joe has always had ghost writers? I am guessing a few other DITC dudes as welL?

Well, I would like to believe he wrote "Flow Joe" but he's had various ghostwriters for many years. The writer of "Take You Home" however was not around in 1993.

Archaic, just so I'm clear, you're arguing that:

Fat Joe, in 1993, went to goodlife. At this time he was NOT with ************* who writes for him. For the next twelve years, he continues to make the same "slow rap" records.

Twelve years later, ************ writes a song that has double time rhyming. This coincides with many hit songs from the South featuring the same style. The writer himself was never in LA or at Goodlife in 1993.

Fat Joe, despite not having written the song himself, is "biting" styles from a bunch of local MCs he heard twelve years previous? What, he was just patiently waiting for the moment to strike?

This is clearly proven by the fact that portions of the video were shot in LA?

It's proven by the fact that his song clearly coopts a Blowed style. The rest of the stuff is just background which comprises an interesting story.

And I'm still waiting for some citations on who in the South is not only doing double-time rhyming but doing so in patterns that were originally developed by the Blowed. I heard a random dude on Damage Control a few months back that sounded like Otherwize to me, but I can't really think of anyone else who has been as specific as Joe in their biting.

Funny though...a while back when I claimed that the Blowed was an influence on Southern bounce y'all acted like I was crazy. Now y'all are using my own argument against me. So go ahead, name artists and songs please.

And yes, I feel really sorry for anyone anticipating a next Fat Joe album.