Has any rapper...

13»

Comments

• I'm about to break out a "Stakes Is High," discussion thread separate from this thread, beacuse it has indeed gone a bit crazy.

As to what was said above re: SIHigh.

I'll back off a bit, and agree that if someone came to me and had never heard De La, this is not the album I'd give them (Probably Buhloone Mindstate, followed by ...Is Dead). And, it had elements of Complain-O-Rap...But, that rap hasn't been done as well save Slaughtahouse. Just because there were legions of shitty undergrounders waiting to run with this mantle doesn't make that De La's fault.

My initial statements about it possibly being the best of their first four is outlandish-there are some serious clunkers through the middle of that album. The first three are much better listens all the way through.

But, to this man, it stands as a classic, and the end of a 4 album run that has only been equalled by a handful of bands, the names of which include "beatles," and "s. wonder".

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    this thread has gone bonkers

if these threads didn't[/b] go bonkers, what would even be the point of reading it when they've had like 90 reincarnations since 1999 or whatever. my joy out of reading these posts is grasping what people consider classics to themselves and then people going "WTF?? how can u mentiont that?"

I mean cmon, you know you're gonna read the same 35 names dropped on all these lists/inquiries and already know what you're gonna be reading before opening the thread, its all about the odd balls or people reaching just trying to say something different/standout

• ScottScott 420 Posts

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

• AserAser 2,351 Posts

- instrumentals alone would solidify classic status, but their rhymes were funny too.

- his metaphors sounds really dated now, but I would listen to this while playing snes bomberman w/ my fronds. Also funny....

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    There have been lots of rappers that released two albums between 1995 and 2006. But have any of those releases been represented in this thread yet? If not, does this glaring absence lend any creedence to some strutters' feelings about "the sad state of current hiphop"?

The game is different now. Mixtapes and downloads have cut into the ClassicAlbums' reverence.

Please, that's got to be the weakest excuse EVAR for an entire genre's inability to come up with two consecutive sets of approximately 12 classic-status songs at one time.

And I think you meant to say "relevance."

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    But, to this man, it stands as a classic, and the end of a 4 album run that has only been equalled by a handful of bands, the names of which include "beatles," and "s. wonder".

I'd also include EPMD in list of groups/bands that had a 4 album run.

I'd also include EPMD in list of groups/bands that had a 4 album run.

There are a lot of bands that had 4 great LPs...

I don't see Stakes Is High as a bookend at all because it is vastly different in tone, concept, production, and consistency from their previous three.

I understand some folks really like that record, and that's cool. They just happen to be wrong!

• There are a lot of bands that had 4 great LPs...

I don't see Stakes Is High as a bookend at all because it is vastly different in tone, concept, production, and consistency from their previous three.

I understand some folks really like that record, and that's cool. They just happen to be wrong!

Consistnecy ("Baby, Baby, Baby" coming to mind earlier as a clunker on that one...) is way off from the previous three, and I can see the arguments on the other three. But, they changed so much from album to album (which is what makes them great) that it is why I put it in as the last in this historic 4 (for some) album run.

You could make the same argument between 3 Feet ... and ...Is Dead, and definitely between ...Is Dead and Buhloone Mindstate.

And, yes, plenty of bands had 4 great albums. But, I put De La in a rarified air that transcends merely putting out 4 (or, yes, 3) straight classic albums. I am talking LENDARY status.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    this thread has gone bonkers

if these threads didn't[/b] go bonkers, what would even be the point of reading it when they've had like 90 reincarnations since 1999 or whatever. my joy out of reading these posts is grasping what people consider classics to themselves and then people going "WTF?? how can u mentiont that?"

I mean cmon, you know you're gonna read the same 35 names dropped on all these lists/inquiries and already know what you're gonna be reading before opening the thread, its all about the odd balls or people reaching just trying to say something different/standout

thats true. Thats why i like these threads too.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    hey, I didn't say it was a bad thing

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Aceyalone? Book of Human Language was the most avant garde garbage can hackey sack rap I've ever heard. Stakes Is High? Way too inconsistent. Too Short? He puts out the same album every few years. Every UGK album? Cmon, Ridin Dirty was kinda inconsistent. Just cuz you like stuff doesn't mean it's classic.

Aceyalone? Book of Human Language was the most avant garde garbage can hackey sack rap I've ever heard. Stakes Is High? Way too inconsistent. Too Short? He puts out the same album every few years. Every UGK album? Cmon, Ridin Dirty was kinda inconsistent. Just cuz you like stuff doesn't mean it's classic.

Of course I agree with you on Acey and De La, but with respect to Short and UGK... just because you don't like it doesn't mean they aren't classics... many, many, many people celebrate the entire catalogues...

I would say Too Short's first four LPs are classic.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

[aside] dopest album cover evar [/aside]

• el_sparkoel_sparko 884 Posts

Of course I agree with you on Acey and De La, but with respect to Short and UGK... just because you don't like it doesn't mean they aren't classics... many, many, many people celebrate the entire catalogues...

I would say Too Short's first four LPs are classic.

Regional bias revealed...

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    There have been lots of rappers that released two albums between 1995 and 2006. But have any of those releases been represented in this thread yet? If not, does this glaring absence lend any creedence to some strutters' feelings about "the sad state of current hiphop"?

The game is different now. Mixtapes and downloads have cut into the ClassicAlbums' reverence.

Please, that's got to be the weakest excuse EVAR for an entire genre's inability to come up with two consecutive sets of approximately 12 classic-status songs at one time.

And I think you meant to say "relevance."

You seem to think that the average 17 year old HIPHOP kid is concerned w/ making the next THRILLER. I think most cats nowadays dont really aim for "classic album" status. Myspace/MP3/LocalMIXTAPE(crazyhuge) has changed the landscape. To assume that kids comin' up aspire to Billboard is wack. There's plenty of good hiphop being made outside the "industry". And it was that way for a minute,way before "Classic albums" were being produced. Having two consecutive hit albums doesnt determine/gauge hip hops pulse. Get Connected.

or some Broiled Salmon.

• HAZBEENHAZBEEN 564 Posts
    And now to make this thread go to heck

These are excellent albums.

• And now to make this thread go to heck

These are excellent albums.

I agree. I think the 1st LP is patchy at times but Beauty and the Beat is classic.

First two 2 Live Crew LP's, first 2 Audio Two's and first 2 Kool G Rap and Polo LP's. Oh and maybe first 2 Lakim Shabazz LP's.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Oh and maybe first 2 Lakim Shabazz LP's.

BAN

• bropsbrops 182 Posts
    Aceyalone? Book of Human Language was the most avant garde garbage can hackey sack rap I've ever heard.

Yes. And I'm loving it.

Anyway, it's hard not to be subjective in something like this.