Has any rapper...

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I need some better examples of this classic status

I know theyre from PHILLY, but alot of other PHILA cats have made more prominant albums. But, If you cats proclaim this as the same as Stezo,SteadyB,CoolC,3XDope,and SchoolyD, I'll shut my mouf.

Paging PHILL..........

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Yeah dude I am not a Philly carpetbaggeur or anything but I think tuff crew is kind of like the city's most felt group, even if it wasn't their biggest export.

Yeah dude I am not a Philly carpetbaggeur or anything but I think tuff crew is kind of like the city's most felt group, even if it wasn't their biggest export.

Somethin' like UGK's status.

yes, LEGENDARY

yes, LEGENDARY

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts

now this is just getting silly

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    There have been lots of rappers that released two albums between 1995 and 2006. But have any of those releases been represented in this thread yet? If not, does this glaring absence lend any creedence to some strutters' feelings about "the sad state of current hiphop"?

Playing devil's advocate here, btw.

Note - I posted right as magnetic mentioned those Mobb Deep albums.

• Incorrect

Man, Paycheck, normally I think your opinions are spot on, but you, sir, are Incorrect on this one. "Stakes is High," still kills it. Listened to it last weekend, and I think it might be the best of their first 4.

Yes, I would make their first 4 albums classics.

As for the Aceyalone in this thread...His first album is FAR from classic. Agreed on "Human Language," though.

A few:

Ghostface
    Quasimoto (which I will relunctantly stand behind, not because I think it's "classic" - yet - but because it represents the spirit of consistency in the original question)

additionally, I think there are other records, post 1996 that weren't back to back but were classics.

And we haven't had the southern contingent weigh in yet.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

Here some other additions:

Brand Nubian:

-"One for All".
    -"In God We Trust".

Pete Rock & CL Smooth:

-"Mecca & the Soul Brother".
    -"The Main Ingredient".

Gangstarr:

-"Step into the Arena".
    -"Daily Operation".
    -"Hard to Earn".

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Incorrect

Man, Paycheck, normally I think your opinions are spot on, but you, sir, are Incorrect on this one. "Stakes is High," still kills it. Listened to it last weekend, and I think it might be the best of their first 4.

You seem like a nice guy but there is no way in hell that Stakes Is High is anywhere near as good as their first three albums.

If I want to hear old men complaining about rap I'll search Big Stacks' posts.

Seriously though, I don't care for that album - BUT, even if I did, I couldn't remotely rank it next to masterpieces like De La Soul Is Dead and Buhloone Mind State, which are some of the best albums of any style of music ever.

41Fivin (couldn't locate an image)

and

• crossingscrossings 946 Posts
    "stakes is high" is a dope album... no doubt about. still holds up to the test of time. it almost seems like it bothers people that it's the first de la album without a hundred interludes... well, buhloone mindstate didn't have as many either... but de la still came correct on stakes.

To me it is the least creative De La LP (not including than those AOI terds).

Very average.

• aw hell yeah.

"stakes is high" is a dope album... no doubt about. still holds up to the test of time. it almost seems like it bothers people that it's the first de la album without a hundred interludes... well, buhloone mindstate didn't have as many either... but de la still came correct on stakes.

"dope" yes classic NO. If you had to give a DE LA album to someone who hasnt heard them, Stakes isnt a must have DELA joint. ONLY the first two, IMO.

• Incorrect

Yes, I would make their first 4 albums classics.

As for the Aceyalone in this thread...His first album is FAR from classic. Agreed on "Human Language," though.

The birth of Complain-o-rap. Dudes went from being abstract and innovative to whining about the fact that music had changed and left them behind. Shit is no kinda classic.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    Now Stacks there's some stuff I would dispute in your list but you KNOW "Jewelz" is not even remotely a "classic".

Can I get a Faux_Rillz lyric quote up in this bitch?

haha...i had to double take that too. I think Jewelz had maybe one or two good songs on it...

So in that sense, it's a classic piece of mediocracy.

but, word...life was a pretty dope album.

and thread jack[/b]....can anyone think of rap albums that only have a 2 color scheme on the cover..

i got

but i was thinking the LP cover.

and now T.I.

anything else??

There have been lots of rappers that released two albums between 1995 and 2006. But have any of those releases been represented in this thread yet? If not, does this glaring absence lend any creedence to some strutters' feelings about "the sad state of current hiphop"?

The game is different now. Mixtapes and downloads have cut into the ClassicAlbums' reverence.

• PEKPEK 735 Posts

I know theyre from PHILLY, but alot of other PHILA cats have made more prominant albums. But, If you cats proclaim this as the same as Stezo[/b]

Phill's home state of Connecticut in the house...

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    i ain't saying they're classics, but all 3 house of pain LPs get repeat bumps for me to this day. Muggs is my man. I'd ditto Stacks on the first two cypress albums, and i'd even add Temples if B-reals rapping didnt come off so wack, i liked the instrumentals. Knowing I might generate a hacky sack circle of college students in raver jeans jpeg, I will admit I think Check your head and Ill communication by the Beasties were great back to backs, and i especially love them because they are the essence of what i feel albums should be like...sounding like mix tapes.

i'd also like to add BlackSheep's Wolf In Sheeps clothing and Non Fiction...but i'l admit non fiction had to grow on me...if i could put it metaphorically, non fiction is like drinking a Guiness. Dres just kills it on autobiographical, i listen to that track on the train and i just watch the whole episode.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    this thread has gone bonkers

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    i ain't saying they're classics, but all 3 house of pain LPs get repeat bumps for me to this day. Muggs is my man. I'd ditto Stacks on the first two cypress albums, and i'd even add Temples if B-reals rapping didnt come off so wack, i liked the instrumentals. Knowing I might generate a hacky sack circle of college students in raver jeans jpeg, I will admit I think Check your head and Ill communication by the Beasties were great back to backs, and i especially love them because they are the essence of what i feel albums should be like...sounding like mix tapes.

i'd also like to add BlackSheep's Wolf In Sheeps clothing and Non Fiction...but i'l admit non fiction had to grow on me...if i could put it metaphorically, non fiction is like drinking a Guiness. Dres just kills it on autobiographical, i listen to that track on the train and i just watch the whole episode.

I cosign the Beastie LPs, but disagree with the Black Sheep claim. "Non-Fiction" was spotty at best. The production was so-so and Dres grew tired. Same goes with House of Pain, as none of their LPs brought the "total package". They typify those sketchy, skip forward every 2 or 3 tracks to the ones you like LPs.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

this thread has gone bonkers

U knew it will. Ill add to the insanity.

• ageage 1,131 Posts
    41Fivin (couldn't locate an image)

and

yes indeed, both dope lps!

here is that image!