GAS WOES

13»

Comments

• The way I see it

me or Tom complaining about NYC Subway strike affecting our lives

=

Adam complaining about gas prices affecting his life

thats all I'm saying, ain't no need to try to make a dick measuring contest out of who feels the pinch in transportation and furthermore if you complained about transportation just recently you are really in no position to tell others not to complain.

cocaine is a hellova drug

• me or Tom complaining about NYC Subway strike affecting our lives

=

Not at all. It's not like his life comes to a screaching hault, he has to walk home through 30 degree weather, over the east river and through long island city, thwarting robbery attempts, and pissed off people pushing and shoving each other. it means he pops out an extra twamp or two a week on gas. stop buying weed, records, movies whatever...problem solved. the strike basically meant we had to physically suffer.

dude your mind garden is an ugly place.

Instead of braving 30 degree weather maybe you should of bought less of that shit you snort and invested that coke money in a cab ride home

it cuts both ways

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    Exactly. Get some perspective.

And/or a motorcycle.

Subways and Motorcycles ain't going to cut it here in Sellersville.. especially with kids.

...come on dude, get with the program.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

You can try taking off those Simpsons decals off your windows, they're prolly kinda inefficent due to weight/drag. No worries though, soon cars will run on corn and you'll be the dude.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    me or Tom complaining about NYC Subway strike affecting our lives

=

Not at all. It's not like his life comes to a screaching hault, he has to walk home through 30 degree weather, over the east river and through long island city, thwarting robbery attempts, and pissed off people pushing and shoving each other. it means he pops out an extra twamp or two a week on gas. stop buying weed, records, movies whatever...problem solved. the strike basically meant we had to physically suffer.

Nah I feel you all I was saying is that it's ugly situations affecting individuals, what affects me and you is different than what affects someone else, it's just personal complaints.

I do agree that the subway was way more fucked for people that didn't have an alternative, in the sense that no amount of money could alleviate it. Gas is an involuntary force determined by lots of factors whereas the strike was more of a "decision" by the people involved.

• PEKPEK 735 Posts

I heard a story on NPR a few weeks ago that said that some huge percentage of transportation in Brazil is fueled by ethanol.

Approximately 50 % of all vehicles on Brazil's roads - ethanol; usually derived from sugar beets, potatoes, corn, sugarcane...

Future font of geopolitical tension won't just be over a commodity such as oil, but also potable water...

As for the size of cars, etc. in North America, one need only look @ the smaller frames of vehicles in a place like Europe where a Nissan Sentra is considered a big car - it's the big is better syndrome (and if you're overweight and complain about uncomfortable cabins, lose some pounds and then see if it's still an issue) whereby SUVs replaced boat-size Cadillacs of the '70s; Daimler also needs to lose the Smart Car division - it's been haemorrhaging $$$ for them incessantly since it can't compete price-wise w/ models such as the Renault Clio and is pretty subpar when it comes to performance (it's been getting by on looks which reflects the priorities of owners of said car)...

• Dude, please show me that graph. People aren't gonna be lining up for gas so long as there isn't a huge shortage. Why would we be lining up? Gas would be so cheap that dudes would just drive up to the pump and let that shit overflow for a few gallons just to be a ?

The problem now is that people can't afford gas, so they are not even driving. Exxon made something like $10 billion in profits this QUARTER. Bush got elected cause of big business so he can't put the smack down on these companies for price gouging. If a dem was in office, you would not see prices this high.

Oil companies make large profits due to the huge quantity sold. There profit margins are very low. Lets say we accept the rather ludicrous premise that companies shouldnt make large profits when you dont happen to like the price they charge. Oil companies make less than 10 cents per gallon of gasoline. Even if they altered their profit margin in order to attain profit figures that you personally find 'moral', 'conscienable' or any other emotional word liberals typically use, it wouldnt make any substantial difference to the consumer.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts

Future font of geopolitical tension won't just be over a commodity such as oil, but also potable water...

No doubt. American companies are already buying as much fresh water resources in Canada as they are allowed. Wait a few decades to see the fight/control for fresh water...

• PEKPEK 735 Posts

And/or a motorcycle.

This is all true, but it's also true that oil companies are screwing us as hard as they can. Bush and his buddies are making plenty off of us right now. Even people with economic cars are paying more, so the whole blame SUV's doesn't really fly. SUV people shouldn't bitch cuz they knew they were buying a gas guzzler, but people who bought the Honda Civic are getting screwed too.

Motorcycles and scooters are more harmful to the environment w/ regards to their emissions (reason why Vespa hadn't offered current models in North America for @ least a couple of decades - older models were grandfathered in - and only until Vespa made amendments to meet the emissions guidelines were their present product allowed for importation) - so yes, you'll save $$$ on gas, but the environment takes a bigger hit (if that's a concern)...

As for SUVs, the big 3 in Detroit had lost direction as in failing to make better quality sedans/compacts/etc. that could compete w/ their foreign counterparts, especially from Japan - they then turned on to the SUV w/ profits around 40 % per vehicle and concentrated their efforts as such (w/ their foreign competitors playing catchup in th wake of the popularity of said vehicle type) w/ huge advertising/marketing budgets allocated to spur sales and increase the allure of the SUV... If the price of gasoline gets so high that SUVs are prohibitive and it's too late for Ford or GM to turn around its fortunes, then so be it - you reap what you sow...

• PEKPEK 735 Posts

No doubt. American companies are already buying as much fresh water resources in Canada as they are allowed. Wait a few decades to see the fight/control for fresh water...

On a tangential note, you wanna hear something else ridiculous B*ll*? The Gobi Desert is beginning to encroach on Beijing's outskirts w/ some pretty intense dust storms owing to deforestation which is a direct result of China's drive to modernize and clear wide tracts of land to build factories/etc.

Humans be some stupid mammals despite possessing the ability of reflexive thought...

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    Oil companies make large profits due to the huge quantity sold.

ummm...are you sure?

Conspiracy theories aside for the moment (although some are likely true), the high prices in oil are primarily the result of oil traders in the US who have fears with the possible short term future production of oil. whether this be from OPEC, Iran vs US, continuing issues with Iraq or S. America deeming US not worthy of it's oil. They assume that quantity may be limited in the near future, thus raising the price of oil now.

Oil companies still have large quantities of oil avaiable to them, and they get to benefit now from future fears that oil may be scarse (i am talking short term here, like next 6 months).

at least thats my understanding of the recent sky rocketting profits for oil companies.

• you ever watch road warrior ?

• I've seen waterworld

• Oil companies make large profits due to the huge quantity sold.

ummm...are you sure?

Conspiracy theories aside for the moment (although some are likely true), the high prices in oil are primarily the result of oil traders in the US who have fears with the possible short term future production of oil. whether this be from OPEC, Iran vs US, continuing issues with Iraq or S. America deeming US not worthy of it's oil. They assume that quantity may be limited in the near future, thus raising the price of oil now.

Oil companies still have large quantities of oil avaiable to them, and they get to benefit now from future fears that oil may be scarse (i am talking short term here, like next 6 months).

at least thats my understanding of the recent sky rocketting profits for oil companies.

yes sorry I meant to say profits on gasoline sales.

• progbeatzprogbeatz 451 Posts
    BTW...Gas is NOT cheaper than bottled water. I can get bottled water for less than a dollar a gallon.That argument is beyond lame.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    12OZ OF POLAND SPRING IS $1.00. how many ozs in a gallon??

1 gallon jug distilled poland spring = $2.25 or so.

• 12OZ OF POLAND SPRING IS $1.00. how many ozs in a gallon??

128 so it works out a little over $10 a gallon.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Jesus Christ! ok ok, you win... what a terrible lie. i have decieved the public.

I think you get the point, no?

128 so it works out a little over $10 a gallon.

...if you only buy 12oz bottles at the corner store.

Those bottles are less than half that when bought in bulk, and as I posted above larger bottles/jugs are much less $ per oz.

• a gallon of distilled OZARKA is = .89 at krogers.
    i guess even water is more expensive in new york.

my price was at the corner duane reade, I'm sure it's cheaper at a supermarket or walmart-like warehouse depot.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

just to jump on the pedantic bandwagon, those aree 16oz bottles... (at least everywhere i go in nyc)

• Jesus Christ! ok ok, you win... what a terrible lie. i have decieved the public.

apples and oranges

when we start having water-fueled cars this argument might make sense

• crossingscrossings 946 Posts
    Jesus Christ! ok ok, you win... what a terrible lie. i have decieved the public.

apples and oranges

if anyone's interested...

http://www.spiritofmaat.com/archive/watercar/h20car2.htm

• Jesus Christ! ok ok, you win... what a terrible lie. i have decieved the public.

apples and oranges

doh!

but seriously I need me one of those.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Bring on $10 a gallon--get some people off the road and out of my way.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Bring on $10 a MB--get some people off eBay and out of my way.