GAS WOES

Comments

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    gasoline is cheaper than bottled water.

gas has to be drilled, pumped, refined, shipped, and distributed.

water falls out of the sky.

quit bitchin.

Actually I have a practically free, unlimited supply of potable water running from the faucets in my house. I wish I could say the same for gasoline (which I unfortunately have to[/b] purchase at gas stations....
    I'm just trying to put this thing in perspective for fools. The "gASS prices are out of control" woes, are gonna lead us to kill another 100,000 middle easterners. People...HOLD ON.

• If a dem was in office, you would not see prices this high.

i don't agree with republicans as much as the next strutter but watcyh yourself with this man

World commodity economics...not so simple

The scramble for oil is about to get deeper...especially with china's rising needs next big thing is

cosign.

offshore drilling is going to become a much bigger industry as well.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    Americans are used to cheap gas for all of their dumb ass 10 mile to the gallon SUVs and now they flip out because gas is 3 dollars a gallon. Gas is sold by the liter in most of the world and costs around 5 to 6 dollars for the equivalent of a gallon. I hope gas gets a lot more expensive here and then people might finally start to look at what a waste it is to drive everywhere. Americans drive too often and are obsessed with having a car or worse yet an SUV. Every time I am in Tokyo I can ride the subway all over the city and I LOVE it! NO subway here in Seattle and the bus here is wack. We have to drive almost everywhere. Wifey and I have to own two cars just to be able to function in this area. Maintenance, gas, insurance and parking places for two cars = mad loot. $500 + a month and both cars are paid for
    I wish all major cities in the U.S. had a nice subway system.

I agree with a lot of what you're saying, but at the end of the day it's all relative. I think one of the reasons SUVs have been so popular in this country is that our gas prices are low enough that people can actually afford to fill them up. At $6/gallon, I'd wager you'd see many Americans giving up their SUVs just out of financial necessity. Also, don't many countries in Europe have fuel efficiency standards? Is it even possible to buy a vehicle in say, Holland, that gets fewer than 15mpg? The fact that foreign governments have taken proactive steps to get the most mileage out of admittedly high gasoline prices puts us on fairly even ground I should think.

I am, btw, in total agreement with you about the embarrassing state of this country's public transportation system.

• MrSeanMrSean 57 Posts
    This shit is getting rediculous.

up to 3.50$ in chicago. i cannot get with this.

Is cheap! Works out to well over $6.50 for a (US) gallon here in UK....and rising. Hold on, its the same story for soul 45s too!

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Americans are used to cheap gas for all of their dumb ass 10 mile to the gallon SUVs and now they flip out because gas is 3 dollars a gallon. Gas is sold by the liter in most of the world and costs around 5 to 6 dollars for the equivalent of a gallon. I hope gas gets a lot more expensive here and then people might finally start to look at what a waste it is to drive everywhere. Americans drive too often and are obsessed with having a car or worse yet an SUV. Every time I am in Tokyo I can ride the subway all over the city and I LOVE it! NO subway here in Seattle and the bus here is wack. We have to drive almost everywhere. Wifey and I have to own two cars just to be able to function in this area. Maintenance, gas, insurance and parking places for two cars = mad loot. $500 + a month and both cars are paid for

Exactly. Get some perspective.

And/or a motorcycle.

This is all true, but it's also true that oil companies are screwing us as hard as they can. Bush and his buddies are making plenty off of us right now. Even people with economic cars are paying more, so the whole blame SUV's doesn't really fly. SUV people shouldn't bitch cuz they knew they were buying a gas guzzler, but people who bought the Honda Civic are getting screwed too.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts

Seriously. "Let's just give everbody a $100 bribe--that'll shut their collective piehole!" What a bunch of fucking cockknockers.

This shit is beyond ridiculous. Lets give every one $100 so they can go and give it right to the oil companies. Wait, here is an idea. How about they just give the money straight to the oil companies and cut out the middleman. WTF?

I mean earlier this year there was a story about how oil companies drilling on public land in the US were getting a break on the money they owe the government. No one gave a shit. After Katrina we find out the oil companies made record profits. Once prices got back to a remotely acceptable level no one gave a shit. Now its high again and every one is pissed. Deal with it. This administration has fucked up on so many levels and ass raped so many people, but no one cares about any of it until they have to pay and extra $0.60 a gallon for gas.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    And what's with reducing speed to optimize milage? My car performs better at 60-80 than 40-50...

As dude pointed out above, the optimal speed in terms of mileage is about 60 mph. Going 80 is a complete waste, really--you use about 15 percent more gas, and you arrive at your destination, what, a minute or two earlier?

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts

offshore drilling is going to become a much bigger industry as well.

Yeah. This is big talk in Canada. BC & Newfoundland are slowly trying to get this going. Huge offshore oil and natural gas reserves. All the provinces have been very jealous over Alberta and all the money those dudes have been making. No provincial debt and rebates for all Albertans. Others want in and are trying to get offshore drilling bans lifted!

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts

Kazakhstan is behind this??? i know a guy over there.

"In America woman can vote, but horse cannot [confused look]."

My question refers to that whole cost ceiling thing. When (if?) prices drop, wouldn't they have to drop slowly so there isn't a mad dash to the pumps? If so we'll have a Gas Relief post i'm sure, but isn't this just the ebb and flow? Only difference is it goes higher and higher each time it rises. Eventually when it drops it will only drop to the prices that we complained about previous times it rose. This cycle (while commonly known as inflation...sort of) frightens me.

Still not getting paid more to keep up with rising prices.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

Not to mention all the cockknockers that are sitting at home, watching Fox News right now going "WOOHOOOOO! A HUNNERD DOLLARS!!!!"

true, but there's a couple more things that are in play

1. ethanaol requirements bottleneck
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/chi-0604270033apr27,1,5901507.story?coll=chi-opinionfront-hed&ctrack=1&cset=true

2. security/stability concerns in certain world regions

of course you can claim these are just the results of fuktards, but which came first the chicken or the egg?

• Not to mention all the cockknockers that are sitting at home, watching Fox News right now going "WOOHOOOOO! A HUNNERD DOLLARS!!!!"

true, but there's a couple more things that are in play

1. ethanaol requirements bottleneck
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/chi-0604270033apr27,1,5901507.story?coll=chi-opinionfront-hed&ctrack=1&cset=true

2. security/stability concerns in certain world regions

of course you can claim these are just the results of fuktards, but which came first the chicken or the egg?

I heard a story on NPR a few weeks ago that said that some huge percentage of transportation in Brazil is fueled by ethanol.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts

And/or a motorcycle.

Subways and Motorcycles ain't going to cut it here in Sellersville.. especially with kids.

• Americans are used to cheap gas for all of their dumb ass 10 mile to the gallon SUVs and now they flip out because gas is 3 dollars a gallon. Gas is sold by the liter in most of the world and costs around 5 to 6 dollars for the equivalent of a gallon. I hope gas gets a lot more expensive here and then people might finally start to look at what a waste it is to drive everywhere. Americans drive too often and are obsessed with having a car or worse yet an SUV. Every time I am in Tokyo I can ride the subway all over the city and I LOVE it! NO subway here in Seattle and the bus here is wack. We have to drive almost everywhere. Wifey and I have to own two cars just to be able to function in this area. Maintenance, gas, insurance and parking places for two cars = mad loot. $500 + a month and both cars are paid for

And/or a motorcycle.

Subways and Motorcycles ain't going to cut it here in Sellersville.. especially with kids.

Same goes for suburban NJ...

• Wow, am I the first person from LA to chime in on this?

While many other parts of the country may have good transportation systems Los Angeles is very much a commuter based economy. The gas hikes hurt both rich and poor out here and make it a serious issue for families trying to get by.

Certain folks on here who got threatening during the subway strike in NYC a few months ago seem to all of a sudden have taken a 180 and are saying we should quit our bitching. It's good to know that perspective is being kept in mind here.

A large part of my paycheck goes to supporting my parents in earning that check I drive 3-4 hours every day in and out of Los Angeles, the gas crunch is real threat to my finances, I've looked into buying a hybrid but don't know if I can afford one, or if its even the correct solution.

bottom line is that some of us are unfortunately dependent on the pump. If folks on here want to get all high and mighty and talk down to those than need their cars to get to work, do their errands, etc than y'all need to really think about how dumb and arrogant you look in doing so

• Wow, am I the first person from LA to chime in on this?

While many other parts of the country may have good transportation systems Los Angeles is very much a commuter based economy. The gas hikes hurt both rich and poor out here and make it a serious issue for families trying to get by.

Certain folks on here who got threatening during the subway strike in NYC a few months ago seem to all of a sudden have taken a 180 and are saying we should quit our bitching. It's good to know that perspective is being kept in mind here.

A large part of my paycheck goes to supporting my parents in earning that check I drive 3-4 hours every day in and out of Los Angeles, the gas crunch is real threat to my finances, I've looked into buying a hybrid but don't know if I can afford one, or if its even the correct solution.

bottom line is that some of us are unfortunately dependent on the pump. If folks on here want to get all high and mighty and talk down to those than need their cars to get to work, do their errands, etc than y'all need to really think about how dumb and arrogant you look in doing so

Adam, first of all I totally sympathize with working folks who need to drive a lot to make their living. My wife commutes to work every day. It's understandable that people who have to fill up at the pump regularly would be upset by rising oil prices. I think what a lot of people are pointing out is that things are going to get a lot worse in our life times and diminishing oil production and increasing demand is going to be behind a lot of that misery. I mean, I personally think the entire global economy will go into meltdown over the issue of oil alone, not to mention any number of other very severe problems mankind is facing. So perspective for me is a balancing act. I get disgusted when I see the price at the pump jumping up daily. At the same time in the future these "problems" will likely seem rather quaint. In a few years we will probably look back on these days with a conflicted mix of fondness and deep shame.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    why don't you just call me out by name. that's some ho shit. you don't know dick about nyc, dogee. moreover, the transit strike and me putting the price of gas in perspective, have NOTHING to do with one another. if you're looking for an argument, i suggest you get your shit straight.

• I get disgusted when I see the price at the pump jumping up daily. At the same time in the future these "problems" will likely seem rather quaint. In a few years we will probably look back on these days with a conflicted mix of fondness and deep shame.

its a scary to think what future events might make this seem quaint. I definitely think our government as well the auto indutry and any other business with a large stake in the american ecoomy should be thinking with some foresight.

This was not an attack on you, just a mix of frustration at the situation and anger at the hatters who think they can speak on others without walking a mile in their shoes

• This was not an attack on you, just a mix of frustration at the situation and anger at the hatters who think they can speak on others without without a mile in their shoes

you don't know dick about nyc, dogee.

• Certain folks on here who got threatening during the subway strike in NYC a few months ago seem to all of a sudden have taken a 180 and are saying we should quit our bitching. It's good to know that perspective is being kept in mind here.
    why don't you just call me out by name. that's some ho shit. you don't know dick about nyc, dogee. moreover, the transit strike and me putting the price of gas in perspective, have NOTHING to do with one another. if you're looking for an argument, i suggest you get your shit straight.

ain't no need to call you out, you did a good enough job on that yourself.

Just saying don't get all bitchy cause the subways stopped running and then get all high and mighty when something that threatens to do something similar outside your local world.

things aren't only bad cause they happen to you

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    This was not an attack on you, just a mix of frustration at the situation and anger at the hatters who think they can speak on others without without a mile in their shoes
    I drive. just not to work. there's no kind of parking in midtown that's affordable on my budget. My feet are WAY too big for your shoes, Adam.

You can try taking off those Simpsons decals off your windows, they're prolly kinda inefficent due to weight/drag. No worries though, soon cars will run on corn and you'll be the dude.

• dude whats up with making everything personal? I thought we was cool when you came out here but since then you've done nothing but try to get your jabs in. If you got an issue with me talk to me about it. If you got issue with those that are dependent on gas to get by in their daily life talk to the board about it.

youre getting all asshurt cause I pointed out that you were complaining about your local situation and have not only no sympathy for those that have to deal with the gas crunch but an arrogant look at us like youre above us.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    dude, we ALL buy gas.

• local situation
    who's arrogant?

youre right the NYC[/b] subway strike affected every other cities commute WORLDWIDE.

once again dude I'm asking you to use both perspective and any understanding you can muster out that aggro cranium of yours

dude we all buy gas
    but we all don't have alternitives the way others do. Ain't no subway, LIE, BART, el train, or even a red line coming from my neighborhood into Hollywood.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    youre right the NYC[/b] subway strike affected every other cities enonomys[/b]WORLDWIDE.

i'm taking the bait here. our gas is more expensive than yours

• youre right the NYC[/b] subway strike affected every other cities enonomys[/b]WORLDWIDE.

i'm taking the bait here. our gas is more expensive than yours

ain't even trying to bait you here hommie. as far as I'm concerned this converstaion is done.

If you can't see the hypocracy of scoffing at people that need gas to get by while you went on record bitching about how hard your local transportation was only a few months ago then theres no need to keep on talking about this with you.

I'll wait for your next bitchy comment in our next interaction.

thanks for playing

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts
    Gas should cost $3 a gallon. Actually, it should cost more, but the money shouldn't be going to gas companies due to inflated prices at the pump. It should be going to taxes. If we'd been paying this much all along, then the trend towards smaller, more efficient cars that started during the last oil crisis in this country would have continued and we'd all be driving cars that get 80 miles to the gallon today. Too bad that didn't happen. It sucks that all us working stiffs are getting fucked, but it was bound to happen sooner or later.

Now, rather than get all aggro at each other over who's getting more fucked, how bout using this energy in a more constructive method. Write a damn letter to your local congressmen telling them that you are sick and tired of politicians fucking over their constituents in favor of their big business campaign contributors who are banking in on money that should be collected by the government in taxes to help build more public transportation. Sure it'll get ignored save for the standard thank you letter written by one of their interns, but you'll feel a hell of a lot better about doing something about it rather than arguing about it here. My $0.02, I'm gonna go write a letter now. F'real.

• Now, rather than get all aggro at each other over who's getting more fucked, how bout using this energy in a more constructive method.

honestly we should all overthrow the heads of the oil companies and end the corporate ruling of America.

heres some food for thought from todays news

http://edition.cnn.com/2006/BUSINESS/04/28/chevron.reut/

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    This was not an attack on you, just a mix of frustration at the situation and anger at the hatters who think they can speak on others without without a mile in their shoes

you don't know dick about nyc, dogee.
    HI ROSS!

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    The way I see it

me or Tom complaining about NYC Subway strike affecting our lives

=

Adam complaining about gas prices affecting his life

Bottom line yall, we are now in the age of little dudes getting screwed because the last 50 years fat cats were getting rich and eating good and left the tab on our laps. There may be a point at which I have to start commuting by train more often, and although I quite enjoy driving to work every day, you gotta do what you gotta do.

That said, at this point, $76 subway for the month roughly = my gas intake for daily commute @ $30 a tank. A tank lasts me about 1.5 weeks (not including road trips).

The road trip aspect has me shook though, it is critical to my business

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    me or Tom complaining about NYC Subway strike affecting our lives

=

Adam complaining about gas prices affecting his life
    Not at all. It's not like his life comes to a screaching hault, he has to walk home through 30 degree weather, over the east river and through long island city, thwarting robbery attempts, and pissed off people pushing and shoving each other. it means he pops out an extra twamp or two a week on gas. stop buying weed, records, movies whatever...problem solved. the strike basically meant we had to physically suffer.