instrumental hip-hop idols...where are they?

akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
edited April 2006 in Strut Central
its funny how FEW big names there are with this shit! i'm kind of starting to get sick of hearing everything either compared to shadow or rjd2, you know?more dudes need to blow up. soon.

Comments

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    cuz no one listens to that stuff

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    no dis by the way

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    i understand that, but even between people who are into the stuff it seems like these are the main comparisons they make. nobody else really has enough output i guess..

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    Here's my contribution.

Artist's Lament

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    its funny how FEW big names there are with this shit! i'm kind of starting to get sick of hearing everything either compared to shadow or rjd2, you know?

more dudes need to blow up. soon.

Ako,

I think one reason is that there isn't as much interest from folks to go that route. Doing instrumental hip-hop was cool during the era where DJ Shadow was blowing everyone's minds, turntablists were cutting albums every two weeks, and "trip hop" wasn't a term of mockery yet. Not like there aren't still folks out there working in the field, but if it was a subculture of producers before, now it's a sub-subculture. I think most cats getting into production are trying to be the next Scott Storch, not the next RJD2, you know?

its funny how FEW big names there are with this shit! i'm kind of starting to get sick of hearing everything either compared to shadow or rjd2, you know?

Ako,

I think one reason is that there isn't as much interest from folks to go that route. Doing instrumental hip-hop was cool during the era where DJ Shadow was blowing everyone's minds, turntablists were cutting albums every two weeks, and "trip hop" wasn't a term of mockery yet. Not like there aren't still folks out there working in the field, but if it was a subculture of producers before, now it's a sub-subculture. I think most cats getting into production are trying to be the next Scott Storch, not the next RJD2, you know?

yeah, actually. i suppose youre right...

• There's plenty like Beatphreak, Maker, Omega One, 40Winks, Plutonic Lab, Fantastic Mr Fox, etc...

My current fave is BIAS & his album 'Time & Tide. And GIACOMO on the same label...http://www.canteenrecords.com/index.htm

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    There's plenty like Beatphreak, Maker, Omega One, 40Winks, Plutonic Lab, Fantastic Mr Fox, etc...

My current fave is BIAS & his album 'Time & Tide. And GIACOMO on the same label...http://www.canteenrecords.com/index.htm

That cover is fresh.

Herm

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    I bet most of them just got bored with it.......or graduated from college.

ako, you should stick with the rock band man. You'll get more chicks.......and publishing.

ako, you should stick with the rock band man. You'll get more chicks.......and publishing.

haha, ok

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    I'm waiting for some new shit from this guy....

But what about sharkey?

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

KANZULU!!!!!!!!!

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    ako, in order to be hot in the underground right now, you need to do dilla ripoff beats.

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts

KANZULU!!!!!!!!!

"me and kankick kickin' it / listening to can i kick it...."

• Don't know if DJ Format falls into this category (his instrumental's are more cut n' paste then Shadow, RJD2 etc, if you know what I mean) but I like him anyway.

• rascmonrascmon 441 Posts

KANZULU!!!!!!!!!

YES absolutley

i find myself kind of zoning out halfway through a 4 minute instrumental hiphop song, so i like how kankick gives you the attention deficit disorder version of instrumental shit. 1 minute and the beat moves on!

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts

wasn't diplo supposed to be the next shadow? big cosine to whoever mentioned maker.. his solo stuff is dope as is Glue.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Yeah exactly..there is maker and another name that comes to mind that everybody is loving ala rj is blockhead

I mean if anything labels like ninja tune seem to be holding on to the instrumental artist thing.

Props to bonobo in that regard.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Not new, but i've always liked old ninja tune stuff. I have a compilation called "hiphop and jazz" released by Ninja Tune in '95. It features Up, Bustle, and Out, 9 lazy 9, and dj Food. all really good, sample-based instrumental stuff.

• erikbeatserikbeats 129 Posts
    im feeling
    dj krush (from zen down, not really feeling much after zen)
    eliot lipp
    express rising
    alias
    peace

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    how about this dude?

DJ DAY

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts

That cover is fresh.

It's a mashup.

how about this dude?

DJ DAY

dj day sonns most if not all of dudes already mentioned in here.

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
    Don't forget Delay as well... that Nimble track he posted up about a week ago has been getting heavy play around here.

What I really want to know is: Should I stop telling ladies I make instrumental hip hop?? Will this get me no butt, dogie?

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    by the way,
    the new SOUL POSITION is so nice.

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    Just lsitening to soul position right now.
    "keep it hot for daddy" is pure

Caught Blockhead and Signify with Prefuse 73 last night. Not a big fan but he has some nice breaks going on with signify cutting it up along side him.

Geology and Kev Brown do some nice instrumental stuff.
    The Dj Day record is off the hook. on some shit.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts

ooo. where can i d/l this.

just kidding. how bout some info, day groupies??
    or would he rather not sell units and stay

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

ooo. where can i d/l this.

just kidding. how bout some info, day groupies??
    or would he rather not sell units and stay

Day's stuff is incredinbly refreshing to me.

A lot of the stuff has sold out.. check some online dealers for the copies left. New mix outnow though