Sweet Group Soul

13»

Comments

• Of all the groups already mentioned, haven't heard one of my old faves:

Africa, "Here I Stand"

Y'all pretty much got the rest covered, so just my late tip-in.

• Africa, "Here I Stand"

This is the track! Damn, I haven't pulled this out in a while. Good choice! Sweet soul with a gospel/doo-wop feel and some crazy rock dude sounding vocals.
    Does anybody know the story behind The Pipkin brothers?

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

I agree, so necessary...BUT! The Falcons were indeed a soulful group...but SWEET? "I Found A Love" is as hard as granite and more down-home than a fish fry!

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

These are the Ovations, if you don't know.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Two off the top of my head:

Lost Generation - Slick, Slick and the

http://www.soulstrut.com/reviews/review/review_insert.php?item_id=1468Wicked

Great great album. My favourite song by the group is probably this track off their second album:

This Is The Lost Generation

Such a gorgeous beginning to a track.

• Cosign on the Ethics...

Also from Philly, the Four Larks (the stuff that isn't Northern Soul-ish is quite sweet) and the Formations....

• djrdjr 511 Posts
    Two off the top of my head:

Lost Generation - Slick, Slick and the

http://www.soulstrut.com/reviews/review/review_insert.php?item_id=1468Wicked

Great great album. My favourite song by the group is probably this track off their second album:

This Is The Lost Generation

Such a gorgeous beginning to a track.

I'm still looking for this second LP for this particular track - anyone have a spare?

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts

(that link doesn't work though)

Its hard for me to appreciate the subtle beauty of this track, cuz I keep wincing when the dudes wander out of key with each other... the tortured vocal is a tad reminiscient of the Mitch Mitchell single though, which is a personal fave...

Co-sign, the guitar and bass sound a little out of tune also. Kinda adds to the sound of desperation and kinda makes me want to jab my ears with a rusty screwdriver to stop the pain at the same time.

• SexyBNyceSexyBNyce 371 Posts
    oh - and can't forget this one:

Geeze, didnt even know there was a mighty marvellows LP. I bet I got all the 45s though.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Don't be so sure

But I saw the Montclairs LP on eBay last night,
    and I think I do have the entire LP on 45 ...

... I don't know if that deserves an or a

• SexyBNyceSexyBNyce 371 Posts
    is "your little sister" on that joint? I think thats the only one I am missing. Unless there are LP only cuts which I doubt. Johnny Pate arrangments=

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    is "your little sister" on that joint? I think thats the only one I am missing.

Yep. Last song, first side.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Anybody have the mptrees for this?

• my kind of thread!

Raj, it might take a couple of days but I can rip the Van Dykes lp for you if no one beats me to it.
    the "Mala Sessions" compilation is worth checking out as well if only for the exclusive "I'm For Real Baby"
    which is an absolute killer track.

this seems as good a moment as any to ask you for access to real headz
    also, it'd be nice if I could get my username changed to "Donald Hozier"

I'm very intrigued to hear that  "Reflections Of Time" even the cover art seems to be a remake:

on another note, I've probably bought the Main Ingredients - Euphrates River for "Summer Breeze" and hadn't listened to it in years
    when the other day a friend played it at his store. I loved it but didn't recognize it until he told me what it was.
    What a gorgeous album.

• jesus, I'm getting old.. no idea how I came up with "Mala Sessions" this is the compilation I was talking about:

http://www.discogs.com/Van-Dykes-No-Man-Is-An-Island/release/2958812

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    @3rdshow 

Pleaassee on the Van Dykes vinyl rip.  I had the mp3s for awhile then lost them.  Soulseek has not shown any results for months.  

• Here are some good ones...The O'Jays In Philadelphia...Neverending Impressions...Special Occasion[The Miracles]...A Lonely Man[Chi-Lites]...The Marvelettes[Pink Album]...Let The Boogie Woogie Roll[The Drifters]...With O'Lot Of Soul[Temptations]...Perfect Angel[Minnie Riperton].

• GivemesoulGivemesoul 146 Posts
    I'm back.. Special Lady[Ray-Goodman-Brown]- A Song For You[The Temptations]- The Soft Tones-Hot Property[Heatwave]- Identify Yourself[The O'Jays].
    foe