Sweet Group Soul

NeverEnoughMoneyNeverEnoughMoney 300 Posts
edited December 2015 in Music Talk
The sun is shining bright through my window, which I've cracked open a bit to let the breeze in. The toddler upstairs is running around while its two moms yell after him in Spanish. I'm reclining in my leather Ikea chair, not planning on getting up for awhile except to switch records. I've already played:

The Intruders - The Intruders Are Together

The Delfonics - S/T

The Five Stairsteps - Love's Happening

Smokey Robinson & The Miracles - Make It Happen

The Lost Generation - The Sly, Slick & The Wicked

The Impressions - This Is My Country

The Temptations - The Temptin' Temptations

The Four Mints - Gently Down Your Stream

What comes next? Recommend some sweet group soul. I'm talking lush arrangements, harmonizing, and songs so pretty they make heartache sound appealing.

It's that time of year.
Meital_Harel

Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    The Persuasions - We Came To Play

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

What comes next? Recommend some sweet group soul. I'm talking lush arrangements, harmonizing, and songs so pretty they make heartache sound appealing.

Smith Connection, Under My Wings

Montclairs, Love in the Wrong Season (or whatever it's called)

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    The Whatnauts - Hurry Up And Wait

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Montclairs, Love in the Wrong Season (or whatever it's called)

Dreaming Out Of Season.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    Man I'm really feeling the Continental 4 these days. Never seen an album, but I've copped at least 4 singles on Jay-Walking, usually for $3-$5 each. Great Delfonics-style sweetness on each one, sometimes with a northern-style uptempo number on the other side. Pick 'em up on sight.

• Man I'm really feeling the Continental 4 these days. Never seen an album, but I've copped at least 4 singles on Jay-Walking, usually for $3-$5 each. Great Delfonics-style sweetness on each one, sometimes with a northern-style uptempo number on the other side. Pick 'em up on sight.

There is an LP. I believe much of it is available through the singles, though. Nice stuff.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Man I'm really feeling the Continental 4 these days. Never seen an album, but I've copped at least 4 singles on Jay-Walking, usually for $3-$5 each. Great Delfonics-style sweetness on each one, sometimes with a northern-style uptempo number on the other side. Pick 'em up on sight.

I feel lucky to have their album "Dream World" currently in tansit to my living space. I've also been talking up a 45 that, oddly enough, isn't on their album, but here's a clip: Continental IV - The Way I Love You. That should be here in a couple days too.

Other than that, yeah, there's SO MUCH SHIT to pick from. Lots of which I'm hearing about on 45.

Brother of Soul
    The Moments (if you don't already have any of their albums)
    The Ambassadors
    The Natural Four
    The Younghearts
    The New Holidays "Maybe So Maybe No" on Soulhawk
    The Imperial Wonders (thanks A*r*n)

And if that isn't enough, these comps should keep you hunting for awhile:

(Pricey sex jams fo' lyfe, batch.)

• johnshadejohnshade 577 Posts
    THE MARVELETTES - in full bloom
    45'S by THE SUPERLATIVES (anybody know of an lp by these dudes?)
    and even though it's not "sweet soul group," i think warmer weather connotes mizell

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    sorry to float away from the original question - he's not a group - but Donnie Elbert is soooooooooooooo sweet and soulful.

• I've just listened to Soul Generation - Beyond Body & Soul (which I'd forgotten I owned until I just read a review on Waxidermy).

Quite nice!

• djrdjr 511 Posts

Drewn is right on the money with 45s. I am especially fond of this one myself:

The New Holidays "Maybe So Maybe No" on Soulhawk

I'm gonna have to check those Kent CD's.

• I know I'm in an absolute minority here, but how in the hell do you relax to a stack of 45s?

Man I'm really feeling the Continental 4 these days. Never seen an album

Not only was there an album, but Collectables reissued it in the 80's, and that's the version I usually see.

• chrischris 287 Posts
    how in the hell do people consider themselves "soul collectors" and not look for 45s?

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    how in the hell do people consider themselves "soul collectors" and not look for 45s?

The world of soul records fits on the head of a pin, until you start getting into 45s. Then it threatens to engulf the rest of the universe.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    I know I'm in an absolute minority here, but how in the hell do you relax to a stack of 45s?

get beer. sit at computer and record each. put on disco compacto. next night relax to newly made disco. 2 step process, I know, but you'll get the hang of it.

• how in the hell do people consider themselves "soul collectors" and not look for 45s?

To be clear, I, in no way, consider myself a soul collector. I do, however, enjoy soul LPs, have a limited number of them, and was interested in hearing people's suggestions on which other I might want to listen to.

I just don't don't see myself enjoying 45s. The few I have, I never listen to. If I did collect 45s, I'd probably just rip them all and listen to them in a string on my computer or iPod. That's what you guys are for, right?

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    A little lighter in the content department, but The Coasters hold a special place for me...cant really pinpoint it. A bit of a sidestep, but definately good for your lounge chair situation.

"Three Cool Cats"

• Man I'm really feeling the Continental 4 these days. Never seen an album, but I've copped at least 4 singles on Jay-Walking, usually for $3-$5 each. Great Delfonics-style sweetness on each one, sometimes with a northern-style uptempo number on the other side. Pick 'em up on sight.

this is the album and it's pretty fine

• JazzsuckaJazzsucka 720 Posts
    I can't believe this thread got to two pages without a mention of these:

Moments: My Thing

Blue Magic: S/T

• True Reflection - Where I'm Coming From (Atco). Inexpensive and under-rated.

True Reflection - Where I'm Coming From (Atco).

Never could quite get into this one.

• True Reflection - Where I'm Coming From (Atco).

• True Reflection - Where I'm Coming From (Atco).

There's so many better soul records in that price range, IMO. But horses for courses...

The track about how dude's girl is running around on him and he sees all his friends whispering about it is kind of flamez.

But then, some of us would probably struggle to identify with that perspective.

The track about how dude's girl is running around on him and he sees all his friends whispering about it is kind of flamez.

Hell, that sounds like the plotline of every third or fourth sweet soul song you've ever heard.

From Gene Chandler's "Nothing Can Stop Me" on down.

Hell, that sounds like the plotline of every third or fourth sweet soul song you've ever heard.

From Gene Chandler's "Nothing Can Stop Me" on down.

True. It may even describe more than one cut on that album.

That was the only one I really liked.