Sweet Group Soul

Comments

• I can't believe this thread got to two pages without a mention of these:

Moments: My Thing

Blue Magic: S/T

anyone familiar with a sweet album by 'pedro and the reflections in time' on a small indie (i forget the lable right now)? features versions of some stang moments tunes from this period (and this album), much more roughly recorded with a lot of echo. Anyone know what the connection was with stang, can't find the lp at the mo but anyone that has it will kno what i mean. when i find it i'll post up a couple of tracks.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    I can't believe this thread got to two pages without a mention of these:

anyone familiar with a sweet album by 'pedro and the reflections in time' on a small indie (i forget the lable right now)? features versions of some stang moments tunes from this period (and this album), much more roughly recorded with a lot of echo. Anyone know what the connection was with stang, can't find the lp at the mo but anyone that has it will kno what i mean. when i find it i'll post up a couple of tracks.

Well, sounds like its but is it any GOOD? Becuase I have a weak stomach for the many, "let's use the backing track, but sing another label mate's song over it" that Stang and subs were known to do. They didn't make songs to be "covered" very well.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

i dont believe this thread has progressed to two pages AT ALL (at least not yet), but i thought id cop a plea for the Radiants. no album that i know of (although i thought i remembered hearing about a bootleg CD). heres a few of their chess singles:

"Ain't No Big Thing"
    "Hold On"
    "Voice Your Choice"
    "The Clown Is Clever"

• BeaverBeaver 164 Posts

• I can't believe this thread got to two pages without a mention of these:

Well, sounds like its but is it any GOOD? Becuase I have a weak stomach for the many, "let's use the backing track, but sing another label mate's song over it" that Stang and subs were known to do. They didn't make songs to be "covered" very well.

Found it and got it a slightly wrong its 'Reflections Of Time featuring Padro' - 'Sweet Romantic And Sexy Joy'. It's not the greatest lp ever made but i like it, its roughness has a charm.

The sleeve says 'Padro will no longer sing soul songs, he is going to gospel singing. He is now under the tutelage of Rev. Bruce Taylor and starting a new group Star Child and they will release an album to the public in 1980'. Star Child anyone????

-P

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Two off the top of my head:

Lost Generation - Slick, Slick and the

Dells - Dramatics - Dells Vs Dramatics

• chrischris 287 Posts

Found it and got it a slightly wrong its 'Reflections Of Time featuring Padro' - 'Sweet Romantic And Sexy Joy'. It's not the greatest lp ever made but i like it, its roughness has a charm.

The sleeve says 'Padro will no longer sing soul songs, he is going to gospel singing. He is now under the tutelage of Rev. Bruce Taylor and starting a new group Star Child and they will release an album to the public in 1980'. Star Child anyone????

-P

the tracks aren't "covers" at all but merely padro just moaning, smooth-talking, etc. over the original versions.
    the clip posted above is just harry ray's "ride your pony girl" with some light padro breaths and weird ly-altered stereo imaging.
    a personal mixtape committed to wax if you will.

• DCarfagnaDCarfagna 983 Posts

-P

I wrote about this Chicago LP in Wax Poetics #3.
    There is no original music on the record, it's all recordings of Stang releases from Padro's record collection.
    A mixtape on wax, if you will.

• chrischris 287 Posts

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    The sun is shining bright through my window, which I've cracked open a bit to let the breeze in. The toddler upstairs is running around while its two moms yell after him in Spanish. I'm reclining in my leather Ikea chair, not planning on getting up for awhile except to switch records.

It's that time of year.

i am LOVING this. Shig, you get the mix in the player and i'll take care of the bourbon sours...we'll watch the sun go down and laugh about days gone by (that we did not share together).

mb

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    The sun is shining bright through my window, which I've cracked open a bit to let the breeze in. The toddler upstairs is running around while its two moms yell after him in Spanish. I'm reclining in my leather Ikea chair, not planning on getting up for awhile except to switch records.

It's that time of year.

i am LOVING this. Shig, you get the mix in the player and i'll take care of the bourbon sours...we'll watch the sun go down and laugh about days gone by (that we did not share together).

mb

make it so!

ps
    thanks

• The sun is shining bright through my window, which I've cracked open a bit to let the breeze in. The toddler upstairs is running around while its two moms yell after him in Spanish. I'm reclining in my leather Ikea chair, not planning on getting up for awhile except to switch records.

It's that time of year.

mb

make it so!

ps
    thanks

shig,

when are you going to make another doo woop mix? that one you made last year still gets major latenight, alcohol-soaked play.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts

It's that time of year.

mb

make it so!

ps
    thanks

shig,

when are you going to make another doo woop mix? that one you made last year still gets major latenight, alcohol-soaked play.

hmmm. havent thought about making another one. but maybe i will now!

this one i just did fares well with beer, lime, and sunshine.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

(that link doesn't work though)

Its hard for me to appreciate the subtle beauty of this track, cuz I keep wincing when the dudes wander out of key with each other... the tortured vocal is a tad reminiscient of the Mitch Mitchell single though, which is a personal fave...

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    This thread sent me digging through some 7s I had set aside for myself... and I came upon Jato Vondel - We'll Join Together on Gregory. Fucking killer!

•  

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    A personal favourite (wish I was at home so I could listen to it right now, actually):

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I need that Montclairs LP. The 45's are real favorites.

I'm a junkie for the Paula label, as well.

•   

• A personal favourite (wish I was at home so I could listen to it right now, actually):

Yes my favorite album from this group. Their cover of Wiliam Bell's I Forgot to be Your Lover is soooo nice.

Don't know if I'd count this as sweet group soul but nonetheless its a neccasary must in any good soul collection

heres another another album that I think is beautiful

Don't know if I'd count this as sweet group soul but nonetheless its a neccasary must in any good soul collection

Dude - Mad Lads are sweet soul pioneers!

Although, I don't know that album, so maybe it
    gets all funky. "Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad Lads" LP is some
    sweetness. This cover of Forgot to Be Your Lover
    sounds very promising...does it keep the guitar lick intro?

• Dude - Mad Lads are sweet soul pioneers!

Although, I don't know that album, so maybe it
    gets all funky. "Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad Lads" LP is some
    sweetness. This cover of Forgot to Be Your Lover
    sounds very promising...does it keep the guitar lick intro?

yeah they are sweet soul realness on other LP's/ 45's but this album has that funky/ Norman Whitfield type vibe to it. Not all tracks though but enough for me to warrant giving it that description.

The conver of IFTBYL is almost totally reworked. I'll post it in real headz for you later on

• the tracks aren't "covers" at all but merely padro just moaning, smooth-talking, etc. over the original versions.
    the clip posted above is just harry ray's "ride your pony girl" with some light padro breaths and weird ly-altered stereo imaging.
    a personal mixtape committed to wax if you will.

thanks for your replies that's the question i asked, if anyone knew anything about the record - P

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    the VAN DYKES, on Bell/Mala...

I caught a comp LP from the early 80s w/a couple unreleased tracks that was great, may be rare cuz I can't find anything on it...

also:

have the STYLISTICS had a single mention yet??

them, along with the DELFONICS, CHI-LITES, O'JAYS and Harold Melvin/BLUE NOTES are all real popular for a reason...... and SO NECCESSARY.............

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    It's the one used by M.O.P (not that this album needs to be verified by samples and shit, but whatever -"Warriors" maybe?). Gone - the promises of yesterday is my shit too. It might be bittersweet group soul more than anything else - someone start a thread.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    What about The Dells, The Dramatics, Fantastic Four, The Cruisers, Detroit Emeralds, Spinners, The Gliders. Did anyone mention The Intruders? These groups all have some nice smooth 45s.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Been listening to the Temprees and the Softones alot lately.

• the VAN DYKES, on Bell/Mala...

SO NECCESSARY.............