The Duke University Lacrosse team..

Comments

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    have they even been arrested or charged with anything yet? That kind of needs to happen before they're fingerprinted.

Kobe didn't have to wait this long
    i believe the whole team have been dna tested!

let me ask you a question.....

if the Men's basketball team from North Carolina A&T were accused of raping a white Duke student,do you think we would have seen someone's mug shot by now ?

quite possibly...money buys good lawyers, and that's more of a class issue than a racial one. But I'm not going to sit here and say race isn't a factor in this case...at least all the attention brought to this is going to ensure that it isn't swept under the rug so to speak.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I'm not understanding something here. Why did the whole team give a dna sample? Have they not shown her pics of the whole team and she could ID the perps? Then they would face charges?

if it was a gang rape situation i don't think it's that cut and dry.

people of one race often have trouble IDing people of another race, even when they aren't subjected to the trauma of being raped at the same time.

if it was a gang rape situation i don't think it's that cut and dry.

people of one race often have trouble IDing people of another race, even when they aren't subjected to the trauma of being raped at the same time.

Well I'm wondering how can you have a mugshot, if you don't know who did it?

She says that 3 players did it right? Well, if she can't pick which ones did it, then you'd have to wait for the DNA test to come back right? How can you charge or take mugshots of anyone yet?

i'm not sure what you're saying...there are no mugshots because no one's been charged or arrested. people are calling for mugshots because this is an emotionally charged case and that's what people do.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    an off-campus party March 14

police are awaiting DNA test results on the team members

maybe they should have had Maury Povich do the DNA test.....he gets results pretty fast

seriously,doesn't three weeks seem kinda long? i'm not familiar with the DNA process

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    an off-campus party March 14

police are awaiting DNA test results on the team members

maybe they should have had Maury Povich do the DNA test.....he gets results pretty fast

seriously,doesn't three weeks seem kinda long? i'm not familiar with the DNA process

We all watch too much 'Law and Order' and 'CSI'...3 weeks sounds about right, after all, this stuff has to stand up to the scrutiny of a jury trial, not just 'I KNEW you were my baby's daddy!" scrutiny.

3 weeks sounds about right, after all, this stuff has to stand up to the scrutiny of a jury trial, not just 'I KNEW you were my baby's daddy!" scrutiny.

ok cool.....i'll wait

• mistercmisterc 329 Posts
    Edpowers,

In response to your role reversal question, just some local observations so yourself, and others can draw their own conclusions:

(Not that it matters, but the woman went to NC Central, another HBC, but the concept is the same.)

Duke and Durham have a weird relationship. First, Durham is an historically Black city and one of the few early islands of Black prosperity in the Jim Crow south. It???s banking and financial industries earned it the nickname the Black Wallstreet. Most of the wealthy people here are Black, as are the local politicians, the mayor, the chief of police (* I think), and the majority of the city council (those addressing and carrying out the investigation). This is all old money, though, as Charlotte and Atlanta have become the main centers of Black business in the South.

In contrast, there is gross poverty and its inevitable offspring: gangs and violence. Of course, this is no different than any other city, but Duke is like this little island in the middle of it all. And unlike the handful of other universities around it (UNC, NC State, NC Central, A&T, etc.), it primarily does not educate North Carolinians to send back into our economy, but wealthy individuals from the rest of the country (I???m obviously generalizing, Coselmed, as I have no idea of your situation, but I do think you???d agree with the fundamentals of that statement?). So there???s a definite resentment and culture difference between the city and the school.

Durham needs Duke, though. Since the economy has taken a turn for the worse here, Duke and its hospitals, research institutions, etc. are so necessary for providing jobs and sustaining the economy by itself. While the university obviously isn???t going to pack up and go anywhere, it???s no secret that Duke runs this town.

Would the investigation change if the roles were reversed? Obviously. How? Who knows.

Here???s a recent article about experiences from some Black students at Duke:
    http://www.indyweek.com/gyrobase/Content?oid=oid%3A29677

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

'I KNEW you were my baby's daddy!" scrutiny.
    I've watched enough of those Maury DNA shows to notice a bizarre trend.....

Almost every time the mother stands up, walks over to that large photo of the baby and points to a facial feature and says the baby looks just like the potential baby's Daddy, the DNA test is negative and the dude gets off the hook.

Watch it and see if that doesn't happen 9 out of 10 times!!

As far as the Duke case goes, if they are guilty, their lives of comfort should be effectively ended.....jail time and the obligatory gang rape of the pretty young college boy(s) appears to be in their future.

Will give them a whole new perspective on the meaning of the word "Dukie".

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    This is just throwing fuel on the fire, but I'm sure this mentality pervades this situation to some degree.

And here's another reason to hate that bloated, hypocritical, drug addict piece of shit Rush Limbaugh

This is just throwing fuel on the fire, but I'm sure this mentality pervades this situation to some degree.

And here's another reason to hate that bloated, hypocritical, drug addict piece of shit Rush Limbaugh

If he's not still on drugs he needs to be.....a good (over)dose of Lithium might do him some good......what a buffoon.

OK.. I'm probably gonna get blasted here. But let me first say. I don't know much of Rush Limbaugh. I know he's pretty much a dick and says some crazy right minded things and gets many of peoples panties in a twist.

My question, if Rush Limbaugh calls a stripper a ho he's in the wrong. But if a rapper does he gains street cred and makes money off it?

But don't get me wrong. Rush should get his mouth washed out and maybe a really good wedgie for the comment.

I see they are already bringing up shit from the gurls past. Thats never a good look.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I see they are already bringing up shit from the gurls past. Thats never a good look.

I was absolutely infuriated when they were reading off her police record on the news the other day, as if that has ANY bearing whatsoever on any of this... what the fuck does she have to gain by making this up??

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    it probably has more meaning than bringing up her criminal past, but i thought it was funny on espn when they kept talking about the lacrosse teams 'criminal pasts' which mostly included peeing in public, public intoxication, and having loud parties, basically charges that 50% of college students have dealt with

I was absolutely infuriated when they were reading off her police record on the news the other day, as if that has ANY bearing whatsoever on any of this... what the fuck does she have to gain by making this up??

Well, truth be told. That shit always happens. Just look at the gurl with the whole Kobe deal. If your planning any type of defense, you always bring out the persons past. I think in most cases it's bullshit. But what can you do? it's sad tho.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

Well, truth be told. That shit always happens. Just look at the gurl with the whole Kobe deal. If your planning any type of defense, you always bring out the persons past. I think in most cases it's bullshit. But what can you do? it's sad tho.

But there is no trial going on, the team's lawyers just fucking sent the record directly to the media

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

No, you don't. That schitt is completely inadmissable and their efforts to publicize it will really piss off the judge. Without having read the details, it sounds like she might have a further claim for invasion of privacy.

But there is no trial going on, the team's lawyers just fucking sent the record directly to the media

Yeah, it's wrong... No doubt. But I guess it's the legal preemptive strike. Bullshit tho.

No, you don't. That schitt is completely inadmissable and their efforts to publicize it will really piss off the judge. Without having read the details, it sounds like she might have a further claim for invasion of privacy.

I'm not thinking of a court deal... I'm mearly thinking about the court of public opinion. Any court proceedings are just part of it. The image of the University is also another deal... Someone on a possible defense side doesn't want total public opinion on the gurls side. Hence, you bring up bullshit on them and leak bullshit.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Yeah, it's wrong... No doubt. But I guess it's the legal preemptive strike. Bullshit tho.

There is nothing "legal" about it. Attempting to try a case in the press = the hallmark of a disreputable lawyer.

There is nothing "legal" about it. Attempting to try a case in the press = the hallmark of a disreputable lawyer.

I agree. It's too bad there are a thousand times more shitty/underhanded lawyers than good ones.

whoops.

In the infamous words of Ms. Emily Litella............"Nevermind"

truth be told, she could be lying...it happens all the time. So i'm not gonna say they're guilty......

I'm thinking she isn't lying. Just maybe about who did it.

Sad anyways. This screwed up things for alot of people.

I hope she comes out of this ok. And that dude that wrote that fucked up email needs a talking too by a professional.

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts
    truth be told, she could be lying...it happens all the time. So i'm not gonna say they're guilty......

Are you serious? The police waited over two days after the party to collect the "evidence" from the house; why are you assuming that the investigation was a clean one? Haven't you people ever seen Training Day/Cop Land/16 Blocks?

Are you serious? The police waited over two days after the party to collect the "evidence" from the house; why are you assuming that the investigation was a clean one? Haven't you people ever seen Training Day/Cop Land/16 Blocks?

[color:white] T*n*a...you know damn well i think those dudes did SOMETHING to that girl.....i'm just trying to be objective for once [/color]