Look Into the Tribe (seriously, look.)

BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
edited January 2016 in Music Talk
This is the second time I've written this all up, so excuse me if the following sounds rushed or poorly composed. Raj, that page time-out function is a killer!!Below are the first three pages and back cover from the first ever issue of Tribe Magazine. The publication was billed as Detroit's first black awareness magazine, and focused on what could accurately be described as the "local black experience" (Clubbup, 2005). These publications were essentially an extention of the playbills that the Tribe handed out at their theatrical performances. These theatrical performances were also the inspiration for the early Tribe recordings, many of which were composed specifically to accompany the on-stage action. ^^^^That's Marcus Belgrave!!!The images above were scanned by me from Wendell Harrison's personal collection of Tribe memorabilia, and let me assure you that there is plenty more where this came from. Wendell, who still owns the rights to Tribe Magazine, is very seriously considering licensing them to me, so that I can scan them in full and host them online. There's still a tremendous amount of logistical work to be done, but I feel that the project has phenomenal potential. These magazines are the definition of face-melting, people. At this point what I'm hoping to do is demonstrate to Wendell that there are enough people interested in Tribe Magazine to make the effort worthwhile. So, plaese, anyone even remotely interested in seeing more of this type of stuff, please email me at [email]aaronda45@gmail.com[/email] with the subject title "I Want to See More Tribe Magazine" Also, anyone interested in donating to the project, please feel free to PM. I've already spent $200 on a scanner and anticipate the expenditure of more funds related to the start up and up-keep of the website. Please note, however, that NOBBODY will be profiting from this endeavor. In the unlikely even that we receive donations in excess of the scanner and web-hosting fees, we will be donating them to a local Detroit charity of Wendell's choosing.DISCLAIMER I have NO idea when this project is going to fully take off. Scanning these magazines page by page is a time consuming process, and I expect there to be some legal tie-ups as well. I will be working with the board's own aschrock on getting the website set up, but again, I have no idea what the time frame for it will be. Also, Wendell has quite a few issues of Tribe Magazine, but there are others, perhaps many, that are unaccounted for, and tracking those down will take a fair amount of time. All donating parties, will, at the very least be given access to the scans as they become available via my own personal ftp space, or through the use of yousendit whichever he/she may prefer. Please, be patient with us people...and when I say us what I mostly mean is me.Have a nice Wednesday.

Comments

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    Here are a few more photos (not scans) that I took of other issues sometime last year.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    the "local black experience" (Rillz, 2005)

Wow--thanks for posting these.

However, I cannot conscionably accept credit for the above phrase--that belongs to the one T. Clubbup.

the "local black experience" (Rillz, 2005)

Wow--thanks for posting these.

However, I cannot conscionably accept credit for the above phrase--that belongs to the one T. Clubbup.

Duly noted.

• dig_thisdig_this 279 Posts

duly noted and emailed, this stuff is great. nice find/idea!

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    holy shit!!!! this stuff looks incredible!

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    Awesome, Aaron!

Glad to see that this is moving along!

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts

Thanks for posting this.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Amazing stuff Aaron, I can't wait to see what else is in store. I am fully willing to help or support in any way possible. Already sent you an email. Keep up the good work!

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    This shit is crazy! The design is whoooooooa

• holy shit..nice stuff! more, more, more!

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    Pics look great! Call me this week mang, we will get this set up and run.

Love the advert for the restaurant... "international cuisine, creative profiles." Harold McKinney's trademark chicken curry, circa detroit 1972.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    awesome! you have email(s)

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    Amazing.
    Now, who had the uncropped photo for Lyman Woodard's LP cover? That was equally
    A decent version was never posted.

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    soooo amazing. e-mail sent.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    awesome! you have email

• JazzsuckaJazzsucka 720 Posts
    I really want to see this happen!

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

Thanks for posting this.

my face just melted off like my man Merrill Womach..

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    yeah dude, do this please. Any chance of a full Tribe discography with pics/scans?

Thanks for all the positive words, people. Wendell will be very happy to see your responses.

Keep the emails coming!

Any chance of a full Tribe discography with pics/scans?

I think I can make this happen soon enough.

• d_wordd_word 666 Posts
    This shit is amazing. Good luck with the efforts

• This is great to see. Be on the lookout for an email.

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    What happened to Phil Ranelin after his car crash? Did he recover OK?

• dayum thats pretty buddy!!!

i must to holler you in fast time now. thank!

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    mybrethren, beautiful earthy stuff, thanks. hope to see more of that sometime soon.
    i got an issue of black fire vol.one no.3. DEfinitely a sister pub lication of the tribe. let me know if you need shcans

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Loved this stuff when you originally posted some of it. Still love it now.

• This just adds to the list of seriously cool shit on these forums.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    What's up with the "HOMOCIDE" tag in that one page?

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
    Sounds like a great project!! I think there needs to be more documenting/sharing of cultural history. Especially as global culture moves more and more rapidly towards homogeny.

Plus I just dig the designs so far. LISTEN TO THE BLACK GIANT!

He told me to email you now.

• noreillenoreille 270 Posts
    MAKE IT HAPPEN !!!