the curse/blessing of your own music room/studio

Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
I've had both my own room and a large place in the main room. Personally I miss the days when all my stuff was out in the main room. I could play stuff for people in the comfort of my living room and have it turn into an impromptu dance party or scratch circle jerk. Or I could just be hagning out, reading the paper or something, and start noodling with a beat I had on my sampler. Having your own music room is weird. It can feel like a chore sometimes to go in there, even just to listen to some tunes. Its so secluded. But, i can also close the door and work on something uninterrupted for several hours at a time. Or blast some free jazz and make weird faces and gestures without embarassment. a curse or a blessing, discuss...

Comments

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    free jazz air tenor sax

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    Right now the guest room is my music room which means there is a bed in there and when someone comes for a visit they use it. It also means it doesn't fully feel like my room. We have been looking for a house though and the one we just put a bid on (our thrid this month) has two small rooms upstairs one will be my fiance's office and study room when she goes back to grad school and the other will be my music room. It will be really nice to have my own room, but I will deffinetly keep a turntable downstairs so I can listen to records down there. Man I hope we get this house. I should find out in the next 45 minutes.

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
    Right now the guest room is my music room which means there is a bed in there and when someone comes for a visit they use it. It also means it doesn't fully feel like my room. We have been looking for a house though and the one we just put a bid on (our thrid this month) has two small rooms upstairs one will be my fiance's office and study room when she goes back to grad school and the other will be my music room. It will be really nice to have my own room, but I will deffinetly keep a turntable downstairs so I can listen to records down there. Man I hope we get this house. I should find out in the next 45 minutes.

damn, good luck mang. a living room tt is mandatory.

damn, good luck mang. a living room tt is mandatory.

Thanks I need all the luck I can get, this home buying shit is crazy. I won't believe I have a house untill I have a deed in my hand and all of my shit moved in.

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts
    One of the main cons has to be that if you ever need the extra room, the music room is deaded for sure... Larry, your in Philly right?

I was going to give up my room for my wife pregnant cousin but she stayed in Long Island... !

On Larry, your in Philly right?

Not anymore, Richmond VA. If I were in philly there is no way I could afford a house.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    I rented a 2 bedroom apartment so that I could have a bedroom, studio, and living room. It is a nice luxery, but I definitely feel you on the whole "feels like a chore sometimes" thing. I get in there and feel like I'm going to work. But that's really just me taking things for granted. It's great to have that space. If more people come over than expected for recording sessions, the excess heads can chill in the living room and watch TV or whatever while we get to work. I used to get so annoyed trying to get a room full of people smoking weed and drinking to shut up because I didn't have an isolation booth/room. I stil don't but everybody doesn't have to chill in the studio anymore so it's all good!

My ultimate goal is to have my living room wired for surround sound (it is, actually, just need a receiver still), and my studio running a line out to my receiver so I can play whatever I want from my studio setup in either room (for guests or just to expand my sound perspective on what i'm mixing). It's really not that far off, I just need some really long RCA cables and a receiver.

When I buy a place I'm definitely gonna hook up some next level "wired for sound" shit in whatever I buy. Run the wires through the ceiling instead of the edge of the carpet, mount the speakers properly, maybe even run the speaker wires through the walls if possible. Add projector to surround sound living room to get the ULTIMATE CONDO MOVIE AND MUSIC ROOM aka burnout-stoner room. can't wait.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    my place is all open-concept, the only room-room in the place is the bathroom.

i wish, and i'm sure Man wishes too, that i could have my own room for all my stuff where i could close the door, muffle the sound, filter the hash smoke and disappear into now and then.

there's a coach-house out back that the landlord still uses. if his things ever get moved out of there - i will have my very own clubhouse!