raer records and the DJ

Comments

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Hasn't Serato kind of made raer records irrevlevant?

In the olden days, I always made sure to bring a few esoteric pieces in the event that a few Djs/music snobs were in teh crowd. But seriosuly, the last few times I played out, people were shocked to see records at all.

No. What's Serato?

K.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Hasn't Serato and or every DJ mainly playing downloaded mp3s on burned cds or ipods[/b] kind of made raer records irrevlevant?

I hope this doesn't turn into a serato hate thread. There's a lot of serato/ipod/cdr cats that don't own a single record, but there's a good portion of cats that have serious collections.

If the crowd cares about vinyl as a medium over the quality of the music/dj, then that's cool. But if not, let's not hate the game.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    another conversation that has taken a left at serato town. i'm out.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Hasn't Serato and or every DJ mainly playing downloaded mp3s on burned cds or ipods[/b] kind of made raer records irrevlevant?

not if they're as unimaginative as the iPod deejay I described in an earlier post

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts

I hope this doesn't turn into a serato hate thread. There's a lot of serato/ipod/cdr cats that don't own a single record, but there's a good portion of cats that have serious collections.

If the crowd cares about vinyl as a medium over the quality of the music/dj, then that's cool. But if not, let's not hate the game.

Im not hating, at all. Im jealous. At one of those breakface parties in december, where you would suppose that the fourteen people there would only care about "records," a certain strutter did only dildo sets and killed it. If I Djed out more, Id get two dildos and make love to the crowd in two ways at the same time.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

Im not hating, at all. Im jealous. At one of those breakface parties in december, where you would suppose that the fourteen people there would only care about "records," a certain strutter did only dildo sets and killed it. If I Djed out more, Id get two dildos and make love to the crowd in two ways at the same time.

Nah, that wasn't directed or even Mjukis, just that I think some people equate Serato users with 14 year old girls dl'ing only stuff like "my humps" or some shit.

• crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts
    why does serato talk always quickly turn into a dildo discussion?

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts

not if they're as unimaginative as the iPod deejay I described in an earlier post

I agree, but in smaller towns, the competition isn't really that fierce. But a good dj always wins, regardless of medium. Where I dj, a lot of people appreciate the fact that we play obscure, unknown Good music[/b] . However, they don't care about rare records.[/b] Which is only logical. If people play mp3s, I have no problem with that, as long as they're any good. As far as dildo goes, I'd get it in a heartbeat if I could muster that kind of bread, ya smell me?

• DCarfagnaDCarfagna 983 Posts
    I've been playing our funk night here in Chicago for almost six years and generally the crowd doesn't give two shits if I play a $10000 funk acetate or some James Brown dollar holler. It's all about the sound of the music, and in order to keep the sounds fresh month-to-month one has to add new tunes to the playlist. "New Tunes" usually means playing a record that is new to me (the DJ), and that often means that it's a rare record (by default).

As a listener, expansion only occurs when you learn about something you previously didn't know about.
    And often the reason you don't know about it is because it's not easy to find in the first place.

Play rare? Yes.
    Play common? Yes.
    Play good music? Always.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Jesus folk, look, serato won't make you a friggin good DJ or give you a deep collection. Nor will it take anything away from you if you are already a good DJ with a deep collection.

There is a kid I play with who doesn't buy records, he just swaps files. So he'll never know what to seek out because he doesn't get the aspect of hunting down unheard-of tunes. I can drop tons of rare-ass records, known and unknown, that I've since sold or would just prefer to not bring out, whereas kids like that are limited to what they already know or what some dude has on his swapped drive. Another kid who I spun with, completely different setting (top 40 hip-hop) knew some of the new shit I was dropping but didn't have it because it's either not on wax at all or just hard to get. There are rare and unknown records in every genre, just cause you're spinning club shit doesn't mean you can get everything on wax.

I don't even DJ that much and I love serato precisely because it saves my records, enables me to sell some of them, and gives me access to songs - rare songs, non-vinyl or new remixes - that I love to play out and basically don't exist on vinyl.

The quest for rare and/or good records doesn't end just because you have a new medium to play them on.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Play rare? Yes.
    Play common? Yes.
    Play good music? Always.

and there you have it!

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    Play rare? Yes.
    Play common? Yes.
    Play good music? Always.

and there you have it!

that is slightly misleading because Dante's idea of common is 'Baby Don't You Cry'...

• There is a kid I play with who doesn't buy records, he just swaps files. So he'll never know what to seek out because he doesn't get the aspect of hunting down unheard-of tunes.

I'm not that familiar with neither serato or finalscratch or whatever. But isn't the sound quality just shit if you only play mp3s? Can't imagine that it can compete with vinyl..

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    I'm not that familiar with neither serato

There is a kid I play with who doesn't buy records, he just swaps files. So he'll never know what to seek out because he doesn't get the aspect of hunting down unheard-of tunes.

I'm not that familiar with neither serato or finalscratch or whatever. But isn't the sound quality just shit if you only play mp3s? Can't imagine that it can compete with vinyl..

Most bar and club systems are not good enough to tell the difference, and when you rip quality files from vinyl it sounds pretty good. I go back and forth all the time, not that big a deal, not so different from mixing from 12 to LP or LP to 45.

that is slightly misleading because Dante's idea of common is 'Baby Don't You Cry'...

Half truth.
    I spin Edwin Starr "Running Back And Forth" every time I play out.
    And I don't think the Third Guitar is "common," it's just been in my box for ten years.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    Play rare? Yes.
    Play common? Yes.
    Play good music? Always.

Absolutely. So at the Breakface a couple weeks ago, I got more trainspotters for a Temptations track than I did for any raer I played. Regardless of rarity, my goal in a set is to play records that get people moving and is something they've probably never heard before but are glad they just did.

Now that I have Serato, my plan is to make a lot of my raers more 'club friendly' by remixing/re-editing them. I figure that's the only way I'm going to be able to get away with playing some of the tracks I'd like to play. I figure I'll get to that sometime next decade after I finish ripping my vinyl into my computer. Sheesh it's a long friggin process.

DJ Ferrari

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I think serato a good thing. Sucks for the future of new releases tho. But the positives are to great not for it to be a good thing and for all DJ's to seriously look into. Collecting and DJ's are not going to go hand in hand in the near future IMO. DJ's & Collectors will be two totally different things. Collectors will keep records alive and DJ's won't.

The only thing that worries me, is whats next on the menu? Where does it go from here?

Side note: I was not amused a few months back when I was driving to get food with a certain Toronto DJ and a suppositively "Real" hip hop show on the radio had a CD mix skipping for over 6 mins. It has nothing to do with whats being talked about. It just goes along with my thoughts on the future and where we are headed.

It's not just about good music tho? Cause if it is, I'll just have to buy good Strutter mixes and sell it to Bar's & Clubs and they can fire up the ol jukebox/CD Player and let it go off. $50 bucks a pop... I'll rotate the mix every week.

Collectors will keep records alive and DJ's won't.

For people who don't play top 40, Collectors will keep DJs alive too.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    I spin Edwin Starr "Running Back And Forth" every time I play out.

you give him a special non-raer exemption because he's from Cleveland right?

---

I play it because you called it "Novelty."

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
    Play rare? Yes.
    Play common? Yes.
    Play good music? Always.

Absolutely. So at the Breakface a couple weeks ago, I got more trainspotters for a Temptations track than I did for any raer I played. Regardless of rarity, my goal in a set is to play records that get people moving and is something they've probably never heard before but are glad they just did.

DJ Ferrari

thats the thing, in the bubble of the collectron world, its easy to forget that for the average party goer, L.L. Smith's expansions, will be enough to expand his mind.

The problem people are having is that they are blurring two different types of music under the "raer" heading. There was music that was made to be popular, or done in a popular genre. Just because some dudes only had two hundred dollars between them to put out their idaho disco 45, doesnt mean that that track wasn't meant to be a popular dance record. If they did a good job, the record should appeal to everybody, regardless of rarity.

But then there's the raer shit that one gets into as a collector, which may freak out your average listener -- or worse, may make no impression whatsoever on the average listener.

But just who is this average listener, and why should anybody cater to him? I dont know.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Play rare? Yes.
    Play common? Yes.
    Play good music? Always.

and there you have it!

not to mention how misleading the term "good music" can be! - and i'm talking anyone's definition

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    I don't like lugging $300 $3000 records across town.

Little dude.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    when i go to a place with a dj, i want to hear music thats going to get the ladies feelin good and ready to dance, period. even if its music i dont really listen to normally, its just got to work for the crowd.
    hearing a rare record doesnt really mean much even from a collectors perspective, cause it might be a reissue, compilation, mp3, whatever. if i here some real dumb raer shit, i usually go ask the dj if he got it on wax and if he wants to trade records (its almost never the og).
    like people are saying though, good djs conditiontheir regulars to like unfamiliar things. or they build that musical trust where the crowd will be open to something new cause they've been enjoying the rest of the set.
    but in the end, you want most of the crowd to have fun, move their butt and drink merrily. personaly, i dont even think the music should be the focus of the party.

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts

Something I've noticed is that headz like us are a rarified breed. Even the so called "little dudes" will know FAR more about funky records than anybody else they're in line with at Starbucks or whatever. A lot of times, since were all operating in this more in depth state-of-mind, its easy to forget that everyone else is likely starting off on square one. What may sound like a completely revolutionary, distinct, and amazingly put together track to you might sound strange and displeasing to someone who only knows the basics that you've long gotten past. A lot of the things I'm digging on now, I might not have liked when I was first getting into this music. And on the flip side, a lot of the songs I loved back then I'm sort of "over" now. Not to say I no longer like them, but tastes should grow over time. A DJ who just starts off playing crazy rares out of the blue will sit there wondering why no body is into his sounds at first. But hopefully, with a little consistent nurturing, he or she will finally make other people "get it".

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    Playing raer on the radio is the way to go. Otherwise people at a bar could care less 9 times out of 10.

• JazoistJazoist 78 Posts
    No, cause if you take a wrong drink, you may puke on the vinyl. And I was assured by some of the best looking girls that they only need to listen to explicitly what they are asking for. May save it all if you just are prepared to put a simple request on.
    That's why I think it's just terrific people do play rare records anyway. Just be out there, will you...

• lotuslandlotusland 740 Posts
    No, cause if you take a wrong drink, you may puke on the vinyl. And I was assured by some of the best looking girls that they only need to listen to explicitly what they are asking for. May save it all if you just are prepared to put a simple request on.
    That's why I think it's just terrific people do play rare records anyway. Just be out there, will you...

my latest thing is playing out records that i won on ebay and then used a chargeback to get refunded. this works well for me, because i don't have to spend the money i make djing on records. i use it to buy turtlenecks and pungent cologne instead.

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts

my latest thing is playing out records that i won on ebay and then used a chargeback to get refunded. this works well for me, because i don't have to spend the money i make djing on records. i use it to buy turtlenecks and pungent cologne instead.