Best File Types for Music Software??

Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
Man I thought incorporating some software into my setup would make things a lot simpler, but oh no. Im wondering what the best type of sound file to use is. I tried .wav but is it my imagination or does it seem to lower the sound quality? Is .aif or whatever good? Also, Im using the itunes converter and it doesnt convert in more than 16 bits or 44.1 khz. If im using the computer I want that 24 bit shit. Anyone know of a good program that does that? What's really good in the digital realm?Also, I was a bit peeved to find that ableton doesnt include a decent sound editor, anyone recommend something thur? Im so lost.

Comments

• debardebar 215 Posts
    Man I thought incorporating some software into my setup would make things a lot simpler, but oh no.

Im wondering what the best type of sound file to use is. I tried .wav but is it my imagination or does it seem to lower the sound quality? Is .aif or whatever good? Also, Im using the itunes converter and it doesnt convert in more than 16 bits or 44.1 khz. If im using the computer I want that 24 bit shit. Anyone know of a good program that does that? What's really good in the digital realm?

Also, I was a bit peeved to find that ableton doesnt include a decent sound editor, anyone recommend something thur? Im so lost.

If your files aren't 24 bit to start with converting up to that won't make it sound better. If you want to record to 24 bit then you have to have a sound card/interface that allows you to do so. 16-bit, 44.1 khz .wav's should sound better than .aif. And Audacity is a free sound editor. I don't like it though, but check it out. Goldwave is only $40 and is good enough for basic stuff. I use Sound Forge though, $160 or so at Newegg.com.

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
    Man I thought incorporating some software into my setup would make things a lot simpler, but oh no.

Im wondering what the best type of sound file to use is. I tried .wav but is it my imagination or does it seem to lower the sound quality? Is .aif or whatever good? Also, Im using the itunes converter and it doesnt convert in more than 16 bits or 44.1 khz. If im using the computer I want that 24 bit shit. Anyone know of a good program that does that? What's really good in the digital realm?

Also, I was a bit peeved to find that ableton doesnt include a decent sound editor, anyone recommend something thur? Im so lost.

If your files aren't 24 bit to start with converting up to that won't make it sound better. If you want to record to 24 bit then you have to have a sound card/interface that allows you to do so. 16-bit, 44.1 khz .wav's should sound better than .aif. And Audacity is a free sound editor. I don't like it though, but check it out. Goldwave is only $40 and is good enough for basic stuff. I use Sound Forge though, $160 or so at Newegg.com.

thanks dude, sound forge seems like an idea. You buy one thing, and then you need ten more things....

• crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts
    aiff files all the way

aiff files all the way

??? Waiting for respondent 3 to tip the scale. It seems to me that .wavs lose some quality.

• crossingscrossings 946 Posts
    in all honesty... AIFF and WAV files are the same shit, same quality if encoded at 44.1-16bit... the only reason the 2 different formats exist is because AIFF used to be strictly for mac and WAV strictly for PC, but those days are over now... however, mac applications do still tend to lean more toward AIFF and pc apps toward WAV files... ableton supports both formats which is good...

but to answer your question, use whichever the hell you please... they're the same thing... i use both.

as far as audio editors... for PC i can only recommend Sound Forge which is as good as audio editors get on PC... and for mac i'd suggest PEAK.

if you get on a torrent site, i'm sure you can find these apps no problem at all.

ableton live is dope, but it's also somewhat limited... not a bad start though. but it does kinda limit you to working with loops unless you get overly creative with it... and once you have your audio editor installed, you can set it up with ableton so that when you wanna edit a file, it'll automatically open your separate editor...

in all honesty... AIFF and WAV files are the same shit, same quality if encoded at 44.1-16bit... the only reason the 2 different formats exist is because AIFF used to be strictly for mac and WAV strictly for PC, but those days are over now... however, mac applications do still tend to lean more toward AIFF and pc apps toward WAV files... ableton supports both formats which is good...

but to answer your question, use whichever the hell you please... they're the same thing... i use both.

as far as audio editors... for PC i can only recommend Sound Forge which is as good as audio editors get on PC... and for mac i'd suggest PEAK.

if you get on a torrent site, i'm sure you can find these apps no problem at all.

ableton live is dope, but it's also somewhat limited... not a bad start though. but it does kinda limit you to working with loops unless you get overly creative with it... and once you have your audio editor installed, you can set it up with ableton so that when you wanna edit a file, it'll automatically open your separate editor...

Thanks Crossings for clear info. Much appreciated. Ill definately look into Peak, as Im on a mac. I am a bit dissapointed in ableton. I should have done more active research, but you really dont have much control of your sounds. Its all so automated, and it seems to work best when you're running it in automated style. For instance, i think the "warp" function sounds really cheap, and I dont like that in order to work with a loop, you have to have it on. Let alone chopping a loop -- nother story. Anyway, if I dont think it can do more than it can, ill be fine. Im using it mostly for tracking and mixing. you're right, its a good start. thanks again.

• in all honesty... AIFF and WAV files are the same shit, same quality if encoded at 44.1-16bit... the only reason the 2 different formats exist is because AIFF used to be strictly for mac and WAV strictly for PC, but those days are over now... however, mac applications do still tend to lean more toward AIFF and pc apps toward WAV files... ableton supports both formats which is good...

cosign - think of them less as exclusive formats as versus DEFAULT formats.

Apple defaults to .aiff, PC defaults to .wav

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts

Yup, I think it's just the header that differs between the two. Much like an MPC snd file and a wav.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    more often than not, any audio app will be able to import or directly load .wav files. you cannot say the same for .aif and when you incorporate hardware, aint shit loading a .aif file.

• debardebar 215 Posts

Sorry for the misinformation, I'm not hip to Macs so I always thought .aiff was a compressed codec. Then wavs and aiffs should sound almost exactly the same.

more often than not, any audio app will be able to import or directly load .wav files. you cannot say the same for .aif and when you incorporate hardware, aint shit loading a .aif file.

this is true... if you're on a PC...

he mentioned being on a mac... i'd stick to AIFF on a mac... some smaller [not made by huge software companies] mac apps may only support AIFF much like your situation on a PC.

[edit... added:]

and as far as hardware, they're also supporting both formats now. for example i recently bought the roland SP-404 sampler and it allows you to import either WAV or AIFF as well as export in both formats.

it all reminds me of when macs n PCs even used different graphic file formats... macs used to be strictly TIFF or PICT n shit like that... whereas PCs were all GIF or BMP... you used to not even be able to swap files between the 2 different computers. but once the internet blew up, everything became more universal with the JPGs and GIFs since they wanted things to work no matter what computer you were browsing with... it's one of the best things that ever happened as far as burning the barriers between mac and PC incompatibility... thank god the same has happened with audio now.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts

Would you say the same thing about Acid as far as only working with loops and having these types of limitations? I only ask because I want to understand more about where you're coming from, as I'm very interested in trying Ableton, but I currently use Acid and think it might be the least limited and easiest program to use. At least in conjunction with Soundforge. How would you compare and contrast those 2 programs (anybody)? I know this conversation has already happened, but it's always good to hear a new opinion.

i switched from ACID to ABLETON LIVE as well... in all honesty, i like how ableton handles audio better (time stretching and all that) and also the fact that you can record a "session" by playing your loops live and recording that... whereas with ACID you had to draw them out 1 by 1... they each have their advantages. ACID is good if you want to add separate audio layers that arent loops (like say you have an acapella track and wanna add beats on top of it... that would be a bit easier in ACID than ableton... in ableton, as the name implies, you have to do things "live" and then you can go back and edit them).

but it's a matter of taste really... you can accomplish the same things with both apps... you just have to approach the sequencing slightly different with each. they also both support VST instruments now, which is very necessary... i do find ableton better if you're using a midi controller though... it's so easy to assign midi with LIVE versus other apps...

for mac people who prefer the ACID approach over ABLETON, there's also GARAGE BAND which although it has the worst name ever (second only to "fruity loops"), it's pretty much ACID for the mac... lets you draw out your loops and work in a very similar environment... and rumor has it that j dilla made DONUTS with Garage Band (not that it matters... but point being that dope beats can be made with it as simple as it is).

but again... i like both... and use both... i guess the one advantage that ableton live has over all of these sequencers is cross-compatibility since the software exists on both mac and pc... and thats a big deal for collaborations.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    Does Ableton allow you to record direct from your soundcard input live onto a new track? You know, to record scratching or vocals? I can't imagine it not doing that but thought I should ask anyway... And have you had any experience with that in both programs?

recording's a cinch with it. no problems there. Im really just scratching the surface with ableton, but so far that is very easy.