Do You Have To 'Dress Up' For Work?

gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
we have clients coming in today so i had to rock a dress shirt and slacks. not used to this.

Comments

• reskresk 391 Posts
    shirt and tie is an everyday thing, you get used to it quick.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts

Things are pretty chill where I work, we don't really have clients in the office so no tie just nice shirt and pants, but on fridays we can wear jeans and every couple of months we have jeans month. That said I have been meeting with the big boss a lot lately and I have been trying to dress a bit more professionally then is required. I am actually starting to think it makes a difference.

• I was big on the whole dress pants thing when I first started, but I think if you wear dark jeans with the right combo of shirt and/or sweater and blazer, you could look just as professional as if you were wearing slacks and a tie. It's all about finding your own style.

• goatboygoatboy 371 Posts
    shirt and tie is an everyday thing, you get used to it quick.

Cosign.
    Although on Fridays I get to ditch the noose.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    not anymore. I used to have to dress in my blue or grey Brooks Bros. Suit every day. Now that I'm student I get to do it Geek Style. Khaki pants, wallaby, dress shirt, blazer. If Im feeling particularly studious I bust out the tweed - with elbow patches of course.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    t-shirt, shorts, robber clogs & apron.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    i wear button downs and dockers type shit. slightly casual, no pleats. no tie. tucked in shirt though. took a minute to get used to that. last job was in a mailing facility. i wore whatever i wanted. i still rock jeans tshirt and nikes on fridays (exactly what i'm rocking right now, in fact). students who don't know me always think i'm a student. yet i've never been to college. and i'm an administrator. they bug out sometimes. when i dress semi-pro, it's not as shocking. i'd say the clothes definitely make a difference in the business world.

one thing i find funny is that i actually cared about the clothes i wear during social times before. i would wear button downs with khakis and shit when i went out. now it's pretty much white grey or black t shirt and jeans and often house shoes when i'm not at work. when you have to dress up more for work, makes you want to dress down more away from work.

• Options
    Shoes for clipless pedals, short black socks, Combat shorts and ripped Disco Devil T shirt.

K in Canada.

• Relaxed business casual over here, w/ "blue jean" Fridays. I don't wear jeans though, so I'm rockin some velour joints today. probably not really acceptable, but I can get away w/ it.

• IronfeetIronfeet 516 Posts
    Never That!!!

• t-shirt, shorts, robber clogs & apron.

God I miss working in kitchens...

Jeans and a nice shirt. Pretty lax in the publishing world.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Nope...........just clean.

Navy/wht Dunk high
    AberbrombieFitch classic blue shirt
    Dark blue jeans.........SeanJohn...shhh
    Yankee Cap
    Navy Blazer

Artist community type thang. Funky but clean.

• CaMKIIaCaMKIIa 269 Posts
    i work in a lab where about half the time is spent in front of a computer or meetings, the other half is spent in the lab getting dirty. therefore, no one expects us to actually dress up for work. the clinical research folks, on the other hand, have to wear that "business casual" shit. but hey, if i run the risk of getting defecated on, i'm not wearing anything but dickies and an old melvins shirt from high school.

and hey, i get paid pretty well.

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    nope, today it's house shoes, adidas pants, stank t-shirt and hoodie. i can't remember that last time i had to wear tie.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I don't wear jeans though, so I'm rockin some velour joints today.

What does one wear with velour pants?

Perhaps a silk shirt with ruffles, unbuttoned to the waist, and a large tiger-eye medallion?

• ladydayladyday 623 Posts
    This is funny, yesterday I was speaking with a journalist doing a story comparing "traditional" work environments vs. "nontraditional". She went down this whole list of what would be considered appropriate at my workplace. I just kept saying "fine, fine, fine" through hair colors, piercings, tattoos... I finally stopped her and said, "Listen, unless it was a tattoo of an obscenity on someone's FACE, it's pretty much okay". I had to explain that I manage a nonprofit that teaches teens about HIV awareness and prevention, so we have to have a certain hip factor.

I agree with CousinLarry though, professional dress DEFINITELY changes how people perceive and react to you. I definitely try to err on the side of professional. Throw a tailored jacket over a concert tee, that sort of thing.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    nope, but that means on the days i feel like dressing up - everyone's like "what's the occasion? how come you're so dressed up?" uh, nothing. just cause.

like someone said, casual is fine as long as it's clean. no one seems to care, but i do feel a little weird when i wear my chuck taylors.

i work in a documentary film production office, everyone's pretty chill - ie. the woman who works the front desk wears jeans and velour hoodies, the one before her had sleeves.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Never That!!!

But I thought you worked at Jollibee? Don't you wear the Jollibee costume at work?

Ironfeet at work....

• I don't wear jeans though, so I'm rockin some velour joints today.

Perhaps a silk shirt with ruffles, unbuttoned to the waist, and a large tiger-eye medallion?

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Best compliment I ever received was from a competitor at a Trade Show who said "You must do a pretty damn good job if they let you go to work looking like that!"

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    What's that Italian line that you like, Chan?

• Everyday. Wouldn't be so bad if my laundry game wasn't bush league.

Biggest bullshit policy here... my department is exempt from dress down Fridays.

• I don't wear jeans though, so I'm rockin some velour joints today.

It's funny though, that you took it from that particular point A to point B.

they're just regular track pants or whatever. Not pirate-esque as you were hopin, but I did manage to work in a sash.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    What's that Italian line that you like, Chan?

Lol! I don't remember but I think Paychecks wears those Escada womens clothes.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    i work in a machine shop, so i wear the same pair of jeans all week, and a variety of grubby shirts. when i travel, it's usually for a trade show, where i have to dress up in some ghey-ass company shirt with puffy sleeves and a starched collar. fuck the man.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    Best compliment I ever received was from a competitor at a Trade Show who said "You must do a pretty damn good job if they let you go to work looking like that!"

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

sorry, i just had to share that little gem

• dayday 9,611 Posts

Sabadabada and Rockadelic?

Ok, i'm out>

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    I've never held a serious job that require any type of dresscode. I usually roll into work unshaven in jeans and a t-shirt. It would be nice to have a dressy type of job for once but I'm sure I would tire of it quickly.

• not really, we just dont wear jeans until dress down day fridays. However i still rock dress shirts and dress pants