Drums for beginners (Recomend a book)

tsotso 39 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
HiI know there is a few drummers here on soulstrut, can anyone recommend a book for beginners? I want to learn different styles, now a play in a Garage Rock band with some friends. But I want expand my playing beyond the constant kick(1,3)-snare(2,4).

Comments

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    I asked the same question to a friend while back, this is what he reccomended, I bought it and found it helpful. Intimidating if you are learning from scratch, but really good if you know how to read drum notation. Comes with a cd too.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0786633...5Fencoding=UTF8

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    man if there is one instrument i'd say cannot be learned or improved by book reading its the drums

from my own persona lexperience the best thing to do is listen to as much stuff in the rhythmic signatures you want to get into as possible... learn to FEEL that shit... and then get behind the kit and attempt to put it in motion

additionally maybe you need to track down some more advanced cats... i've been pretty blessed to jam with alot of jazz band nerds over the years... i can't count for shit but when dudes would tell me shit was in 11/8 and i was still able to hang on the kit i was pretty pleased...

drums are also the only instrument where i improve by not playign them for periods of time and instead concentrate on THINKING abotu grovoes and such

• generiquegenerique 625 Posts
    I agree only partly with Dubious. True, you have to "feel" the rhythms, but for many styles you need to develop the motions that come with them. I can't recommend a book, but I'm sure practicing the paterns and motions that come with different rhythms will help a lot.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts

from my own persona lexperience the best thing to do is listen to as much stuff in the rhythmic signatures you want to get into as possible... learn to FEEL that shit... and then get behind the kit and attempt to put it in motion

true. ive never read a book or taken a lesson on drumming before in my life. ive leanred totally from scratch and just listening to old records and music i like. shit just comes to you

word

if you can't FEEL the groove you cannot PLAY the groove

the only MOTIONS you need to know to play drums are left hand right hand left foot right foot

the rest is all about feel and groove

by learning postions you wil linvetibably get stuck with them

on guitar for example i find it VERY hard to break out of minor penatonic... because i learned guitar by teaching myself black sabbath songs.. so now my hands are permanently MOLDED into those scales and it feels very very weird to not play those patterns.. frustrating as fuck.. whereas with drums and bass i've come to the instruments later in life and then tend to approach playing them from a fresher perspective

Same story here. Learned to play the drums by doing it and listening a lot. You'll manage to break out of your routine that way. Just listen a lot to the stuff you would like to do yourself, but not Black Sabbath because when you try to copy their stuff your hands and feet will get "molded" mysteriously.

If I wanted to step my drumming game up to play jazz or latin, I would seek a teacher and buy me some books.

yeah black sabbath are EVIL

This guy copied Black Sabbath's double bassdrum techniques and now look at him.

• tsotso 39 Posts
    I started to play drums in a band togheter with four friends 6 months ago, bought my first sticks on the way to the first rehearsel. Now we are 7 people (2 guitars, bass, drums, keys 2 on vocal). Only one of them had played in a band before, we had our first gig on Saturday. Mainly friends came, but we had a lot of fun. I know you can't learn play drums be reading, but now I feel that I have to step up my playing. Bought a MIDI drum kit awhile ago, which had absolutely NO feel to them. Thanks for the tip knewjak

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    learn by listening and doing. i never took a single lesson or looked at a book in my life and id say im fairly decent.

• one day you might be this go(o)d

he is "that dude" at 6:11

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
    one day you might be this go(o)d

YOUR AVATAR =

• one day you might be this go(o)d

I forgot to post the link!!! I bet you lot have seen it anyway:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1887293651082720270