Gnarls Barkley

124»

Comments

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    HJ says they have been playing it on the local Alt Rock station.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

We could be looking at another M.I.A. syndrome of massive hype but little commercial success

Just for the record, MIA did nearly 300,000 albums worldwide without the benefit of anything like a big radio/club hit or high-profile film/TV/ad synch. While those numbers aren't that impressive in comparison to, say, T.I's first week, it still ain't too shabby for a new, non-mainstream, female artist's first album, which was on an indie everywhere else in the world except the US.

I don't want to take any shine away from MIA- but one of her songs actually was featured in a car advertisement that got heavy play on TV for like a month

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

We could be looking at another M.I.A. syndrome of massive hype but little commercial success

Just for the record, MIA did nearly 300,000 albums worldwide without the benefit of anything like a big radio/club hit or high-profile film/TV/ad synch. While those numbers aren't that impressive in comparison to, say, T.I's first week, it still ain't too shabby for a new, non-mainstream, female artist's first album, which was on an indie everywhere else in the world except the US.

I don't want to take any shine away from MIA- but one of her songs actually was featured in a car advertisement that got heavy play on TV for like a month

Ah, OK - I never knew that. It wasn't something which ran in the UK. US car ads use some pretty leftfield music sometimes - I remember seeing that Ford Probe "Detroit Techno" ad when I was in NYC about five years back. I think I was cleaning my teeth or something, and I ran out of the bathroom, wondering why the fuck Model 500's "No UFOs" was on the TV.

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts

And she was on MTV all the time. Did her album deserve more shine than it got?

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

I thought it was pretty good - not great, but a decent enough debut. What she does maybe isn't quite as unusual-sounding to British ears, but it surprises me a little that she got such an enthusiastic push from a major in the US, where people are notoriously sceptical towards the latest hot UK act. If any act is going to be another MIA in the way soulmarcosa suggests, it'll be Lady Sovereign. I have it on good authority that they're breaking out the heavy artillery for that kid, but I don't see it happening for her at all.

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts

I thought it was pretty good - not great, but a decent enough debut. What she does maybe isn't quite as unusual-sounding to British ears, but it surprises me a little that she got such an enthusiastic push from a major in the US, where people are notoriously sceptical towards the latest hot UK act. If any act is going to be another MIA in the way soulmarcosa suggests, it'll be Lady Sovereign. I have it on good authority that they're breaking out the heavy artillery for that kid, but I don't see it happening for her at all.
    I like her in small doses. my girlfriend has the cd and the idea of listening to the whole thing straight through is . Too much going on, not really a soulful experience.

The Gnarls Barkley cd was dissapointing, but more because I had hoped that all the songs would be the same style as Crazy, and they aren't. I don't know if you can compare them with MIA, except to say that they both got internet buzz.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    strange! i saw his music video on mtv last week. i liked it a lot and told my girlfriend to check him out. but his name?! charles or gnarles barkley?

i remember another r&b singer from the US that i liked a lot. he didn't sing like the current r&b guys. way more soulful and a bit more classic. he was a afro-american guy with a bold head. i know that's very few info... does anyone know his name? the music was similar to gnarles barkley. more popish maybe. but fantastic music.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    "Crazy" is the best song I've heard in a minute... I didn't think anything was going to replace that T.I. song as my joint of the year.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    "Crazy" is the best song I've heard in a minute... I didn't think anything was going to replace that T.I. song as my joint of the year.

Don't know what the facemelt is meant to imply, but these songs are highly overrated IMO

My single of the year thus far is probably Too Short ft Jay-Z "Six Figga" which seems to be pretty unknown

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    sometimes bad songs can be really good

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

was this project concocted solely for the production of one good song and a shitload of quirky-ironic photo shoots?

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    is anyone feeling the title track? i seem to play it more than any other track off this album.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    same folls that bought the gorillaz album up will buy this

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    is anyone feeling the title track? i seem to play it more than any other track off this album.
    the title track is my shit. best song on the album

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    its gone man
    its gone man
    its gone man
    its gone man
    its gone man
    its gone man

siccavica!!!