F@CKIN SCIENTOLOGISTS (south park chef related)

flatblackplasticflatblackplastic 1,209 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
NEW YORK -Isaac Hayes has quit "South Park," where he voices Chef, saying he can no longer stomach its take on religion.ADVERTISEMENTHayes, who has played the ladies' man/school cook in the animated Comedy Central satire since 1997, said in a statement Monday that he feels a line has been crossed."There is a place in this world for satire, but there is a time when satire ends and intolerance and bigotry towards religious beliefs of others begins," the 63-year-old soul singer and outspoken Scientologist said."Religious beliefs are sacred to people, and at all times should be respected and honored," he continued. "As a civil rights activist of the past 40 years, I cannot support a show that disrespects those beliefs and practices.""South Park" co-creator Matt Stone responded sharply in an interview with The Associated Press Monday, saying, "This is 100 percent having to do with his faith of Scientology... He has no problem ??? and he's cashed plenty of checks ??? with our show making fun of Christians."Last November, "South Park" targeted the Church of Scientology and its celebrity followers, including actorsTom Cruise andJohn Travolta, in a top-rated episode called "Trapped in the Closet." In the episode, Stan, one of the show's four mischievous fourth graders, is hailed as a reluctant savior by Scientology leaders, while a cartoon Cruise locks himself in a closet and won't come out.Stone told The AP he and co-creator Trey Parker "never heard a peep out of Isaac in any way until we did Scientology. He wants a different standard for religions other than his own, and to me, that is where intolerance and bigotry begin."http://www.yahoo.com/s/279206

Comments

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    I posted it before, I post it again....

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

Stone told The AP he and co-creator Trey Parker "never heard a peep out of Isaac in any way until we did Scientology. He wants a different standard for religions other than his own, and to me, that is where intolerance and bigotry begin."

Matt Stone calling someone intolerant and bigoted?!

the irony of the irony of the irony... it's like watching a planet implode on itself.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    although I think Scientology is a crazy cult sect of whacko's (and working in Hollywood I've had to deal with them on ALL levels) I can understand why Hayes would leave the show. Southpark has got to the point where humor is almost secondary to the amount of shock they can fit into a cartoon. Their episodes on topical news make little to no sense. I still can't figure out what they were trying to get across about Hurricane Katrina.

Religion is always a fun, great and easy target to hit but if you don't believe in the work you're putting your name on than I see no problem with no longer wanting to associate with that work.

my kid keeps trying to get me to rent "passion of the jew", but i can't watch those types of cartoons for more than 10 minutes.

• sonofsamsonofsam 680 Posts

are you saying matt stone is intolerant and a bigot? please give examples.

South Park the complete season dvd series 1 - 7.

Showing a sometimes equal amount of bigotry, does not exclude you from being a bigot. In all reality, it should make you more of a bigot.

I'm not even that touchy, but c'mon, it's doesn't take a long stretch of the imagination to know that the basis of all (?) the humor in South Park is intolerance.

And somehow that makes him not a bigot?

also, white people generally get a pass on that show.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

Showing a sometimes equal amount of bigotry, does not exclude you from being a bigot. In all reality, it should make you more of a bigot.

politically correct strut

I'm not even that touchy, but c'mon, it's doesn't take a long stretch of the imagination to know that the basis of all (?) the humor in South Park is intolerance shock.

agreed although I'd say Matt Stone has no problem poking fun at his Jewish heritage and does it a whole lot.

although I think Scientology is a crazy cult sect of whacko's

You're looking like a MAJOR hypocrite right now!!!

If someone would have said that about Hasidic Jews, you're be up their ass right now (no ayo!!!).

I'm not even that touchy, but c'mon, it's doesn't take a long stretch of the imagination to know that the basis of all (?) the humor in South Park is intolerance.

And somehow that makes him not a bigot?

im not really following you but maybe i am slow. matt stone makes a comedic animated television show that makes fun of everyone and everything. in your eyes does this mean that matt stone is intolerant of everyone and everything?

R.I.F.

R.I.F.

no idea what that means, but just to follow up on your other point that white people get a pass.... apparently you dont watch the show much.

I don't watch it because it because..

A. It's not funny.
    B. It's not funny.
    C. It's not funny.
    D. White people generally get a pass.

I've seen enough episode to know that.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    although I think Scientology is a crazy cult sect of whacko's

You're looking like a MAJOR hypocrite right now!!!

If someone would have said that about Hasidic Jews, you're be up their ass right now (no ayo!!!).

no, but if someone said that all Scientologists inbreed run the Ecstacy trade, and bring STD's into the community than yes, I'd be ass digging

R.I.F.

no idea what that means, but just to follow up on your other point that white people get a pass.... apparently you dont watch the show much.

How about this... If whites are so viciously clowned along with the rest of the world of ethnic groups out there, please give me some examples of white-specific clowning (that can not be applied to another race) that have taken place on the show.

You seem to be the expert.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    I think ya'll are giving Southpark a bit too much credit.

comedic

I would use that word very carefully when taking about Stone and Co. They did after all give us "Orgasmo", "Baseketball" and "Team America".

I think ya'll are giving Southpark a bit too much credit.

Nah, its not even worth it.

• chasechase 767 Posts
    didn't Hayes just do an interview with the onion a/v saying he didn't have a problem with it?

• R.I.F.

How about this... If whites are so viciously clowned along with the rest of the world of ethnic groups out there, please give me some examples of white-specific clowning (that can not be applied to another race) that have taken place on the show.

If I may...

An entire episode deriding Mormons (and several others in which Mormons get fucked with here and there)

They generally fuck with the French and white Canadians a lot, too (not that either is exactly a "race").

And the episode that was all about clowning JonBenet Ramsey's parents.

The show isn't into tolerance, either. In fact, they pointed out in the episode about the Tolerance Museum that "tolerate" is what you do when you don't accept someone, that it's really much lower than "acceptance," which should be the goal.

• i cant say im a fan of the show but i have watched it(and laughed) from time to time. maybe thats my whiteyness showing? i thought hayes's character was the best on the show though.
    i noticed the other day when i was surfing the low channels that they are airing it on the WB now.

scientologists=

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    scientologists=

I wanna say something but the hollywood eye is always wathcing.

Alls I can say is I'd sooner fuck with Suge Knight than I would Tom Cruise

• matt stone makes a comedic animated television show that makes fun of everyone and everything. in your eyes does this mean that matt stone is intolerant of everyone and everything?

a small man once claimed to me he wasn't racist because he hated all races equally - he wouldn't discriminate against anyone in particular. i think this case would apply to south park as well. thoughts?

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

R.I.F.

If I may...

An entire episode deriding Mormons (and several others in which Mormons get fucked with here and there)

They generally fuck with the French and white Canadians a lot, too (not that either is exactly a "race").

And the episode that was all about clowning JonBenet Ramsey's parents.

The show isn't into tolerance, either. In fact, they pointed out in the episode about the Tolerance Museum that "tolerate" is what you do when you don't accept someone, that it's really much lower than "acceptance," which should be the goal.

And don't forget that episode that trashed Satan....and we ALL know Satan is whitey white white!!

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts
    hmmm... im still reeling w/ the fact that Isaac Hayes mr. hot buttered soul is a scientologist! wow.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    hmmm... im still reeling w/ the fact that Isaac Hayes mr. hot buttered soul is a scientologist! wow.

You ever heard Doug E Fresh's Scientology Rap?

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I still can't figure out what they were trying to get across about Hurricane Katrina.

If you're talking about the episode I think you are, they're basically just shitting on the movie The Day After Tomorrow and throwing in a little bit about responsibility and not giving into hysterics.

Also, Matt Stone is right when he points out that Hayes never seemed to object when they show was ripping on other religions--and certainly not with kid gloves on--but now seems to think it's totally different when it's his "religion" getting clowned. He can't take the pseudo-principled "religion should always be respected" stand when he was silent for so many years of capping on religions besides his own.

And finally...what Mr. Hogg said.

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts

is this doug fresh w/ the get fresh crew or sans said crew?

anyways, isaac hayes must seem content on raking the dough w/ his new Lay's potato chip ads.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    That trapped in the closet episode was pretty funny. More power to those guys. Best show on tv? No. Funny at times...Yes. Sounds Like Mr. Hayes is a little hypocritical. My

I thought he was a Hebrew Israelite?

• i think the show can last without chef so why worry??

i think it`s funny whoever it`s taking the piss out of,and everyone has been included..

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
    You guys have all got South Park figured way wrong. In my view its the smartest show on TV. It is PURE satire -- the world that they live in is a world where tabloid and pop culture is amplified to absurdity. When they do a show about Katrina or something or other - it is a show about how this sytem distorts this event as viewed through children. THESE ARE KIDS. They distort everything including this tabloid world.

I am so fascinated by Scientology. There is something so bizarre and dark in this whole tom Cruise thing. Every time I think about it, I cackle to myself. I was reading how Tom Cruise was at this Kanye West show, but for some reason he entered through the fire escape. He then, at one point cursed very loud for no apparent reason. He was later that night seen using some ropes to climb a wall up to the window.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    You guys have all got South Park figured way wrong. In my view its the smartest show on TV. It is PURE satire -- the world that they live in is a world where tabloid and pop culture is amplified to absurdity. When they do a show about Katrina or something or other - it is a show about how this sytem distorts this event as viewed through children. THESE ARE KIDS. They distort everything including this tabloid world.