these doods just stole my records

mallardmallard 452 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
not really. but they might as well have.a couple guys with collections ten times the size of mine (and who've been mentioned on the strut a couple times, but will remain nameless here) came over and i prepared a crate of my best stuff as I'm selling off the bulk of my collection. first dude picks 'wayne shorter - schizo', 'gangster boogie', and 'black rhythm happenin' and we agree $30 is an OK price. second dude picks 'green is beautiful', 'mcgriff - electric funk', and 'final comedown' and we agree on $60. everything is probably VG, VG+.when it occurred i figured "i'm doing a good thing and record karma will do me well". the second they leave I'm swept over with regret, and start, quite literally, sweating it. any of you ever been intimidated by some big dudes, selling or buying?oh my god, someone tell me it isn't so bad...

Comments

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    where do you live? i want to buy some of your records.

• mallardmallard 452 Posts
    where do you live? i want to buy some of your records.

i think i'm done for a while hommie.

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    not really. but they might as well have.

a couple guys with collections ten times the size of mine (and who've been mentioned on the strut a couple times, but will remain nameless here) came over and i prepared a crate of my best stuff as I'm selling off the bulk of my collection. first dude picks 'wayne shorter - schizo', 'gangster boogie', and 'black rhythm happenin' and we agree $30 is an OK price. second dude picks 'green is beautiful', 'mcgriff - electric funk', and 'final comedown' and we agree on $60. everything is probably VG, VG+.

when it occurred i figured "i'm doing a good thing and record karma will do me well". the second they leave I'm swept over with regret, and start, quite literally, sweating it.

any of you ever been intimidated by some big dudes, selling or buying?

oh my god, someone tell me it isn't so bad...

seriously seriously seriously.

sell all your records before you get in too deep.
    getting that attached to material objects is not healthy. All you need is one runout groove and a space echo.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

when it occurred i figured "i'm doing a good thing and record karma will do me well". the second they leave I'm swept over with regret, and start, quite literally, sweating it.

Stop selling those babies, obviously you are not ready to let them go

getting that attached to material objects is not healthy.[/b]

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts

getting that attached to material objects is not healthy.[/b]

have you checked that vinyl documentary?

that thing really fucked with my head. I would highly recommend checking it out.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts

Did they hold a gun to your head or something?

Did they hold a gun to your head or something?

imagine yourself as a youngen, just getting started really, and these 2 big dudes with collections/reps beyond what you could ever imagine come in and name their price.

like i said, it was a combination of intimidation and generosity.

i must admit that posting this and seeing some of the responses has eased the pain a bit and i'm not stressing over it as much as i was a minute ago.

but when you're unemployed and coming up on your last dollar, selling some of your favorite records on the cheap is, i admit, maybe not the best look.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts

vinyl documentary?

• Did they hold a gun to your head or something?

imagine yourself as a youngen, just getting started really, and these 2 big dudes with collections/reps beyond what you could ever imagine come in and name their price.

like i said, it was a combination of intimidation and generosity.

i must admit that posting this and seeing some of the responses has eased the pain a bit and i'm not stressing over it as much as i was a minute ago.

but when you're unemployed and coming up on your last dollar, selling some of your favorite records on the cheap is, i admit, maybe not the best look.

I think one of the best things about being around the strut is that you quickly get the idea that EVERYONE here has made a mistake...undersold a few records, missed that grail in a dollar bin, etc. Part of playing the game. Those big doods that bought your records are not immune as well.

(cue 7 posts of : I've never made a mistake, blah, blah, blah)

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts

(cue 7 posts of : I've never made a mistake, blah, blah, blah)

who dares to front

i learn from my mistakes

so i should be some friggin genius by now ............

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    The fact that you threw in there that some were 'VG' makes me think those may have been fair offers

But as has been said: if its so traumatic, don't sell... in fact, you REALLY ought to start with the replaceables... the buck or two each you'll get for the AC/DC, Parliament, etc really adds up over the course of a few crates...

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    you did fine man... especially in the condition that they were in. not really the records a big(ger) dude should be buying in lesser condition but we all have our needs and wants.

nice sells though...

get at me if you want to sell more... i travel.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    you did fine man... especially in the condition that they were in. not really the records a big(ger) dude should be buying in lesser condition but we all have our needs and wants.

nice sells though...

Next time your in LA I will intimidate the fuck out of you and have all your rackords for $6.72

don't even bother to respond theres no stopping me.

Just make sure to bring good stuff.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    get a job ya bum!!!

nice sells though...

Next time your in LA I will intimidate the fuck out of you and have all your rackords for $6.72

don't even bother to respond theres no stopping me.

Just make sure to bring good stuff.

when are you gonna get your skinny jew ass up here and eat pork burritos with me? i dont think i can travel until summer.

i miss LA for some weird and unnatural reason.

wow.... cool. please post more.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts

this happened to me before. i used to BE you. the problem is that our generation are a bunch of sissys that were raised by women so we have no idea how to be a real fucking man. thus, when real men emerge and confront us, we cower in fear hoping not to be violated and praying that the threat will be "merciful" enough to allow us to breathe another day. i reached my breaking point about 10 years ago at the age of 21. i feel sorry for you if this is the way you live because it's a bad feeling. you need to grow some balls. please walk up to the next dude and bust his fucking eyes out and this will never happen to you again.

plaese to post more !

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts

this happened to me before. i used to BE you. the problem is that our generation are a bunch of sissys that were raised by women so we have no idea how to be a real fucking man. thus, when real men emerge and confront us, we cower in fear hoping not to be violated and praying that the threat will be "merciful" enough to allow us to breathe another day. i reached my breaking point about 10 years ago at the age of 21. i feel sorry for you if this is the way you live because it's a bad feeling. you need to grow some balls. please walk up to the next dude and bust his fucking eyes out and this will never happen to you again.

Mallard, the word your looking for here is magnanimous, but in the negative sense. I dont think Ive ever made a trade I havent regrettted in some way. But you really didnt make a bad deal.

The word for mature in german is something like mundus, which means mouth. Thus when you are able to speak your mind, then you are mature. Speak your mind.

• have you checked that vinyl documentary?

vinyl documentary?

what vinyl documentary?

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

vinyl documentary?

what vinyl documentary?

Vinyl by Zweig

this thread is now next-level.

this is spot on, to be honest. i always liked to think of myself as a kind, caring person, though, not a sissy. i guess it depends on your perspective. i don't really want to be that mean-face dude ice grilling you in the grocery store. i would rather be stepped on and be able to live with it than upset other people.

i guess if i want to be a nice dude i should just do it and not complain about the repercussions.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    More on documentary

Dude should be a strutter, or at least get at some of us for his next flick

Mallard I feel you man. Both on making mistakes...although the deal is not bad and on general personality. I try to always be the peaceful one and some peeps take advantage of that however over the years I have never lost my instincts and cross me once ...cross me twice

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts

this is spot on, to be honest.

noooo dude ! the first step in recovery is denial...even if dude was correct in his analysis you are still obligated to call him an asshole,tell him you'll pay him a visit,and say "do i even know you foo ?!" or " you dont know me or anything about me..foo !"

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

a couple guys with collections ten times the size of mine (and who've been mentioned on the strut a couple times, but will remain nameless here) came over and i prepared a crate of my best stuff as I'm selling off the bulk of my collection. first dude picks 'wayne shorter - schizo', 'gangster boogie', and 'black rhythm happenin' and we agree $30 is an OK price. second dude picks 'green is beautiful', 'mcgriff - electric funk', and 'final comedown' and we agree on $60. everything is probably VG, VG+.

dude - you are a fucking idiot.

• Who here works for Netflix? Tell them muhfuckers to add this shit pronto. I don't want to have to go payoff my late fees at local video storees just sos I can see this.

Seriously though, wonder why they don't have it.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

Seriously though, wonder why they don't have it.

Canadian documentary raer

some guy was asking about this on craiglist

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts

dude - you are a fucking idiot.
    did'nt you not show up to a spot one night cause you thought i was gonna beat you up?

• this thread is now next-level.

this is spot on, to be honest. i always liked to think of myself as a kind, caring person, though, not a sissy. i guess it depends on your perspective. i don't really want to be that mean-face dude ice grilling you in the grocery store. i would rather be stepped on and be able to live with it than upset other people.

i guess if i want to be a nice dude i should just do it and not complain about the repercussions.

Sounds like me. I like to prove that there are still decent people left on planet Earth, but end up getting stepped on in the process sometimes, which is definitely

• this is spot on, to be honest.

noooo dude ! the first step in recovery is denial...even if dude was correct in his analysis you are still obligated to call him an asshole,tell him you'll pay him a visit,and say "do i even know you foo ?!" or " you dont know me or anything about me..foo !"

would "take your mouth off" also've been appropriate?