"BEST COFFEE MADE FROM MONKEY POO; CRAPPUCCINO
    DAILY STAR

Wed Nov 21 2001 10:22:30 ET Coffee drinkers are going bananas over a brew
    that's made of MONKEY DUNG.
    Brits are flooding exclusive US stockists with orders for the brew, called
    Kopi Luwak, made from berries that have passed through the digestive
    system of Indonesian monkeys. Unlucky coffee plantation staff have to
    search through the dung to gather the bizarre "harvest" of coffee berries,
    which are said to emerge virtually intact.

Experts reckon the monkey business gives the drink a unique "earthy"
    taste, which has made it the most expensive and sought-after coffee in the
    world.

It is in such short supply - just 500 lb of it is harvested a year - that
    it is virtually impossible to get hold of in Britain and has only limited
    availability in the States and Japan.

Experts say the brew first came to light hundreds of years ago, when
    explorers sampled it on the Indonesian isles of Java, Sumatra and
    Sulawesi.

The monkey - known as the Palm Toddy Cat - lives on a diet of alcoholic
    tree sap and coffee berries.

US-based food and drink critic Chris Rubin said:

"Whether it's because the intestinal juices give some special flavour or
    because it eats only perfectly ripe berries, the Toddy Cat's droppings
    produce what many say is the world's finest coffee."

Some exclusive US outlets sell Kopi Luwak for around a FIVER a cup.

US Coffee supplier Mark Mountanos has snapped up 110 lb of the beans.

He said: "We've had interest from all over the world because it is very
    hard to get hold of."

US coffee shop owner Richard Karno ordered a pound from Mark's firm - but
    only after he convinced him it wasn't a joke.

He said: "It's the best coffee I've ever tasted. It smells musty, but it
    roasts up real nice" "

• Yall haven't had real coffee till you've had that monkey shit

DAILY STAR

world.

Sulawesi.

hard to get hold of."

roasts up real nice" "

Yeah, this coffee was used as a major clue in a CSI episode.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts

in all my years of bean addiction this is what i've settled on for the longest.

french presses always break.. the coffee is always to cold by the time its done... and it always tastes crap

drip coffee has a weird acidic flavor unless you put a pinch of salt in there.. even then its like the 2d version of the full 3d potential of coffee

i don't have 500+ to spend on a wicked francis francis or similar espresso machines.. they rule though.

get the hexagonal percolator if you like your coffee strong and black

ie THAT REAL SCHITT

• This makes nice coffee but you drink more actual coffee residue which can get to your head and stomach. Same with perculators. I personally can't drink to much of it without having my heart beat fast and sounds of the ocean in my ear.

Sounds like your grind is too fine, or you're putting too much in.

My vote is for a french press, the glass kind with the plunger as pictured above.

Filtered drip coffee takes out the natural oils and small particles, giving it a less complex flavor IMHO. A burr grinder is necessary, too, but that breaks the $30 limit.

• yuppers, I'm with Ashcrock---------

I drink black

been with the French Press since '99...we think it makes a better cup, the grinds soak in the hot water, rather than getting percolated through them...

If you're gonna be drinking it black, try a high quality coffee

and gotta throw in the "hippy" with organic and fair trade/shade grown if possible

course grind, one of those iron hand grinders are the bomb, cuz they slow grind the coffee, if you can find one, but, I lost mine in a move, and have the electric steez, grind medium course, not too fine for french press, it doesn't even need to "steep" that long, only a couple minutes, and it will be damn hot.

I find dark french too strong in a french press---stuff is like tar.

French Press PRos:
    1.) Affordable.
    2.) personal cups are easy
    3.) It looks cool, there's many styles, and doesn't take up counter space

french Press cons:
    1.) coffee will get "cooler" faster
    2.) anytime you get a new coffee, you need different amounts, alotta "guess work" with getting the "perfect cup" that you will increasingly insist upon
    3.) just asked the missus, and she confirms the all time worst is cleaning it...getting the grinds out by hand...if you have a garborator you're on the up and up my man...we don't

as the years go by, your son (maybe another somewhere along the way) will slowly associate Daddy's awakening with the sound of grinding coffee beans and smell of freshly brewed java

• french Press cons:
    2.) anytime you get a new coffee, you need different amounts, alotta "guess work" with getting the "perfect cup" that you will increasingly insist upon
    3.) just asked the missus, and she confirms the all time worst is cleaning it...getting the grinds out by hand...if you have a garborator you're on the up and up my man...we don't

Despite the fact that I drink black coffee from the Press every day, these two are DEFINITELY the two biggest cons. ESPECIALLY the cleaning...man, that is the worst. When we had a temp, one day he was asking me if I had anything for him to do; it took every bit of self control not to ask him to clean my coffee pot for me.

• next time do it, get the temp to clean the coffee pot ha!

Ironically, after writing the above post, I realize I am out of coffee today, forgot yesterday and am settling for a cup of INKA.

Anyone ever have this shit?
    it's made of Roasted Chicory, Barley and Rye, and Beet Root.

you just mix a teaspoon with water and it tastes like coffee...caffeine free, I'm jonesin...but too lazy to go to the store...usually I have black Ceylon or Orange Pekoe when this happens....I drink mad green tea everyday too..and My Son pissed on me while changing his diaper after I realized I was outta coffee, and of course he justs laughs and smiles all the way...(almost 7 months)----little schitt

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    So it seems like people are leaning towards:

1 (tie): French Press/plunger or stove-top espresso (but only with a slow burn)
    2: Some high-powered espresso machine (which I can't afford, nor would want to)
    3: Manual drip (what I'm leaning towards)
    4: Turkish (sounds great, but not going to happen)

What ya'll know about:

• What ya'll know about:

A friend of mine who was a chef for years rocks this; swears by it. I've had some good coffee out of it at brunches he's hosted. Similar problem to the French Press, in that it tends to get cooler faster, but it makes for a decent cup of coffee.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    Yall haven't had real coffee till you've had that monkey shit

DAILY STAR

world.

Sulawesi.

hard to get hold of."

roasts up real nice" "

I'd give it a go.

Hey O-Dub you could score a cheap espresso machine for in the $50-$100 range...don't sleep

Prime,

I haven't really acquired a taste for espresso (not yet at least). To be honest, the cup of coffee that basically changed my whole outlook on drinking coffee was an individually prepared cup of drip coffee at Philz in the Mission. Freshly ground beans, a paper filter, hot water, two minutes brewing. Voila.

Shit is fucking amazing, but then again, as a relative coffee newbie, maybe I don't know what I'm talking about (though I took Hsulu through and he's a hardcore coffee drinker and gave the coffee there a thumbs up).

So right now, I'm happy with a basic cup of coffee but if I'm going to homebrew, I want ease of use and low cost. i don't have a need to steam milk, you know?

Prime,

I haven't really acquired a taste for espresso (not yet at least). To be honest, the cup of coffee that basically changed my whole outlook on drinking coffee was an individually prepared cup of drip coffee at Philz in the Mission. Freshly ground beans, a paper filter, hot water, two minutes brewing. Voila.

Shit is fucking amazing, but then again, as a relative coffee newbie, maybe I don't know what I'm talking about (though I took Hsulu through and he's a hardcore coffee drinker and gave the coffee there a thumbs up).

So right now, I'm happy with a basic cup of coffee but if I'm going to homebrew, I want ease of use and low cost. i don't have a need to steam milk, you know?

I hear you O...I love a good cup of regular coffee. When my daughter was born I was the only one drinking coffee at the house. I was hitting the double cappacinos' hard. I got a espresso machine as a gift. Didn't use it much until there was a baby around. I used that machine so much that a wore it out. I figured if I was going to go through the effort making coffee for myself might as well make it a damn good one. Another good choice for a coffee makers is the kind that brews it straight into a thermos type device. Burner type coffee when left heated builds up the tanic acid in the coffee ruining the flavor. I would go with that. So many options.....

• Another good choice for a coffee makers is the kind that brews it straight into a thermos type device. Burner type coffee when left heated builds up the tanic acid in the coffee ruining the flavor.

Yeah, forgot to mention that. This is almost as good as manual dripping. Overheated coffee: not a good smell too.

• Options
    Why dont ppl think the manual drip is flawless.....isnt flawless

• Options
    Another good choice for a coffee makers is the kind that brews it straight into a thermos type device. Burner type coffee when left heated builds up the tanic acid in the coffee ruining the flavor.

Yeah, forgot to mention that. This is almost as good as manual dripping. Overheated coffee: not a good smell too.

Arent the hot-plates for most coffee pots heat regulated?

Another good choice for a coffee makers is the kind that brews it straight into a thermos type device. Burner type coffee when left heated builds up the tanic acid in the coffee ruining the flavor.

Arent the hot-plates for most coffee pots heat regulated?

Any constant heat on brewed coffee effects the flavor flav.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I can't be messing around with brewing a perfect cup of coffee BEFORE I've had coffee. It's all about the automatic drip, set up the pot the night before, and just push the button in the morning. I rock a lil 4 cup krupps maker bachelor style (and under 30 bucks).

• dude. i didnt read anything but the first page, but i think you should go with the french press. its cheap and easy.

those cheap $5 braun grinders or whatever might grind the coffee too think. you should get your coffee ground specifically for a french press. it is ground much coarser. and as long as you store it in a airtight container, it should last a good 2 weeks. i usually buy 1 lbs. at a time. you dont need to freeze your coffee but you do need to keep it out of the sun and dry.

coffee. good.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    french press gets my vote for all the reasons already mentioned and it is easier to keep clean and does not get weird guck build-up on the inside.

if you go with one of these stove-tops - get a stainless steel one - not aluminum which is what this one looks like it is. the steel ones are easliy under $30.

an easy way to make coffee so delicious (if you like cinnamon) is to throw a stick of it in and then take it out before you press.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    check your home phone message...

• check your home phone message...

do you dunk your home run pies into the coffee?

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    check your home phone message...

i offered to buy you a chocolate one but you said nooooo, you didnt want one.

im eating a cherry one right now... mmmmmmmmmmmm

of course I fucking wanted one, but I can't eat stuff like that. feel me?

of course I fucking wanted one, but I can't eat stuff like that. feel me?

wow i havent had a homerun pie in ages. thanks for reminding me of how great they are. i need to revisit my brown bag lunches from jr. high.

btw, i rock the percolater joint. i'll usually make a strong ass expresso and boil some hot water to dilute it which ends up making a nice decent strong cup of coffee.

-rich

• Yo O*li*er!!!!

If you end up getting a drip machine, buy a metal mesh filter rather than paper. Allows more of the oils in the coffee through = more taste. Also less waste.

And as mentioned, a thermal pot is always better than a heating element. The element is basically slowly burning the taste away from the coffee.

All in all... I like the french press method. Most flavour, especially if you're buying some decent coffee. Cleaning is a bitch, but worth it, in my opinion.

Everything else has basically been covered.

This kind of coffee talk/knowledge is what keeps me sane in my job right now. (I work at a starbucks)

Yo O*li*er!!!!

If you end up getting a drip machine, buy a metal mesh filter rather than paper. Allows more of the oils in the coffee through = more taste. Also less waste.

And as mentioned, a thermal pot is always better than a heating element. The element is basically slowly burning the taste away from the coffee.

All in all... I like the french press method. Most flavour, especially if you're buying some decent coffee. Cleaning is a bitch, but worth it, in my opinion.

Everything else has basically been covered.

This kind of coffee talk/knowledge is what keeps me sane in my job right now. (I work at a starbucks)

Ha - so as a barista, you'd recommend french press?

• ryanryan 334 Posts
    Great thread.

Coffee brewing devices are kind of like music formats. French press is like vinyl. Finicky but super rewarding with some effort. Drip is like a cd. Easier to deal with but lacks that certain something. Instant is akin to a mp3. Always a last resort.

As much as I hate to admit it, I can't be bothered with the FP in the morning. I just want to turn the thing on and have my coffee ready when I get out of the shower.

That said, go with a krups if your inclined to go drip.