WEEKEND RECORDS

13»

Comments

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    mylatency--nice!!!

anyways, here is my finds--

25 cents to a dollar (w/exception of the eddie kendricks lp which was one found at a auction that had boxes of lps that no one wanted to bid on, so it was free. ex shape!)--

thrifts, junk shops and fleas--

the rebecca and the sunny brook farmers lp is the main killer find of the week for me! generally at least a hundred dollar psych/pop record!
    love lp is og gold label.

and some nice reggae 45s--

there was some more world music/nonesuch explorer lps i picked up, as well as a vince guaraldi and bola sete lp i picked up from my friend mark's store (marquise dance hall) for 4 bucks.

i picked up a captain rapp 12" for a buck in nice shape. also came across a collection of rare classical and 20th century 78s that appeared to have been from the julliard school of music library.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Dakar -

Can I hang out with you next weekend?
    I'll bring $12.00 and get a year's supply of records!

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I have one of these - I traded a Sound Burger to Cool Chris for it a few years back. For real: it's a decent portable player in terms of size (though it weighs more than you'd expect) and I don't think the needle or linear playing style will damage the records - no more so than any other regular method - but the main problem with it is that it you can't needle drop with it very easily. Since the playing mechanism is more or less automated, to move the needle from Point A to Point B requires a lot more time than simply picking up the tonearm and dropping it.

To me, the player is more of a "show" piece; a useful novelty but still more or less a novelty. that said, it does come with two stereo headphone outs which can be converted into stereo plug-in use. But I still prefer the Sound Burger/Mister Disc in almost every application except that the Sony Linear model can handle vibrations better than the Sound Burger does.

If anyone wants to buy/trade for my Sony: holla.

What is that?

A Sony linear tracking turntable, AKA "The re-groover"

So does this thing damage records or something? I'm waiting for a new needle to arrive before I test it out but have you had bad experiences?

• spent most of my weekend with my new expedit. but i'm still doing fairly well w/ 12"s and nothing else. got a double of voice of q on philly world. also couple john fahey xmas albums on takoma, wilbur and niles thrust(is this the same niles that did the good thrust?).

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    three this weekend:

Herbie Hancock Sextant- s/t
    Pharoah Sanders- Thembi
    Bobbi Humphrey- Blacks and Blues (thanks Mark on these!)

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

Pharoah Sanders- Thembi

YOU GOT THEM FOR CHEEP!

yer welcome, dood. good to see you again.

see you at Buena!

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    see you at Buena!

WHAT?!?!

Get at me

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

Pharoah Sanders- Thembi

YOU GOT THEM FOR CHEEP!

yer welcome, dood. good to see you again.

see you at Buena!

• I have one of these - I traded a Sound Burger to Cool Chris for it a few years back. For real: it's a decent portable player in terms of size (though it weighs more than you'd expect) and I don't think the needle or linear playing style will damage the records - no more so than any other regular method - but the main problem with it is that it you can't needle drop with it very easily. Since the playing mechanism is more or less automated, to move the needle from Point A to Point B requires a lot more time than simply picking up the tonearm and dropping it.

To me, the player is more of a "show" piece; a useful novelty but still more or less a novelty. that said, it does come with two stereo headphone outs which can be converted into stereo plug-in use. But I still prefer the Sound Burger/Mister Disc in almost every application except that the Sony Linear model can handle vibrations better than the Sound Burger does.

What is that?

So does this thing damage records or something? I'm waiting for a new needle to arrive before I test it out but have you had bad experiences?

Thanks for the O*i*er. I got my new needle for it and have been playing around with it. The sound quality is off the hook for a portable. The one thing I need to figure out how to tweak is that the needle cues up to 45's maybe one milimeter too short so that it's running on the outer edge of the record and I have to use the buttons to set it forward a little bit. Did you ever have that problem with yours? As far as using this thing out in the field, yeah the functionality is not geared for that. I'll probably sell it for that reason.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    see you at Buena!

WHAT?!?!

Get at me

clean yer pmz

"This user has exceeded their private message quota and may not receive any new private messages.

Please use your back button to return to the previous page."

• is that 3rd Bass LP the same as "the cactus revisited"? looks like it says "the cactus collection"...

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

is that 3rd Bass LP the same as "the cactus revisited"? looks like it says "the cactus collection"...

the one with this cover?

i think it has the same tracks, but this came from a radio station, so it's some kind of promo version. i need to double check though.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    new wax:

steve davis- music
    grupa abc- andrzeja nebeskiego
    egg- the polite force
    eddie harris- instant death
    brother jack mcduff- to seek a new home
    tony joe white- tony joe
    mel brown- blues for we
    naked angels- ost
    gass- juju
    status quo- message from the status quo
    syrius group- broken dreams
    klaus lenz- big band
    jacques loussier- pulsion
    tommy james and the shandells- cellophane symphony
    don cooper- the ballad of c.p. jones
    george benson- good king bad
    hair- electronic hair pieces

• the one with this cover?

i think it has the same tracks, but this came from a radio station, so it's some kind of promo version. i need to double check though.

yeah... that's the one i'm thinking of... lemme know if there are any track differences when you have some time...

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    I have one of these - I traded a Sound Burger to Cool Chris for it a few years back. For real: it's a decent portable player in terms of size (though it weighs more than you'd expect) and I don't think the needle or linear playing style will damage the records - no more so than any other regular method - but the main problem with it is that it you can't needle drop with it very easily. Since the playing mechanism is more or less automated, to move the needle from Point A to Point B requires a lot more time than simply picking up the tonearm and dropping it.

What is that?

I too had one of these and

Since I paid a lot more than $5 for mine, I ditched it and went Soundburger. Not looking back either.

• new wax:

steve davis- music
    grupa abc- andrzeja nebeskiego
    egg- the polite force
    eddie harris- instant death
    brother jack mcduff- to seek a new home
    tony joe white- tony joe
    mel brown- blues for we
    naked angels- ost
    gass- juju
    status quo- message from the status quo
    syrius group- broken dreams
    klaus lenz- big band
    jacques loussier- pulsion
    tommy james and the shandells- cellophane symphony
    don cooper- the ballad of c.p. jones
    george benson- good king bad
    hair- electronic hair pieces

Nice finds! Really like Steve Davis and that Grupa ABC. What about Egg? Is it the psychgroup?

• This just came in.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts

What about Egg? Is it the psychgroup?

yes, on deram, got it through a trade involving some recs and a little bit of cash, anyway its a really reeeally dope psych record.

• djrdjr 511 Posts

a 45 that I won on e-bay & I'll have to send back.......

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts

90% frim this weekend in east tennessee
    10% from last week's arbutis

sealed "betty & bobby go to the moon"
    might have to bust it open & play before sale

• its so not the weekend anymore but it just doesnt quite feel like the weekday yet either. so heres what i found in the last couple days.

hedge+donna, kay-gees '79, leo wright on vortex, pretty weird liverpool scene record, betty on fantasy '74, nice impressions set

astronauts, ayers, folkways, t.graves, summerhill, og prestige coltrane, clean and crisp.

new birth (long sought upgrade to my skated copy), hellers, family (white label with huge poster),
    nirvana (aussie not uk island, but so damn good regardless), the dorothy that i couldnt find till now, zephyr on probe

perfect og ?+mysterians, been looking forever for even a skated copy.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

I caught that Ronnie Boykins recently myself and LOVE it... any recommendations for similar sounds? Or are 70s ESP releases just 'like that' in general (I NEVER see them in this neck of the woods)?

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

I caught that Ronnie Boykins recently myself and LOVE it... any recommendations for similar sounds? Or are 70s ESP releases just 'like that' in general (I NEVER see them in this neck of the woods)?

the RB is one of the "less out" ESPs. i can't think of anything else on that label that compares. one of my favs.

you might want to look into some early Black Saint or Soul Note stuff.

• That ronnie boykins is an abberation... most of the ESP records are very "out" jazz. He was a longtime member of the Arkestra. Fantastic bassist. The ESP LP retains that feel where he can switch up from swinging to free. Like mingus meets billy bang.

BTW usedkidsrecords on ebay had and may still have sealed copies. I caught one from him about 2 years ago for $30ish.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    late as per usual, heres my weekend finds (cheap too)

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

That Ronnie Boykins lp is fantastic. He plays bass on Charle Cha Cha Shaw's "into morning" lp on Folkways, also a really great record.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts

That Ronnie Boykins lp is fantastic. He plays bass on Charle Cha Cha Shaw's "into morning" lp on Folkways, also a really great record.

sounds dope... i used to dj at wrgw, college station at gwu, i wonder if thats where the records from. too bad when i was there they had 0 lps, and instead were stocked with mostly shitty hard rock cds