WEEKEND RECORDS

schnipperschnipper 528 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
CRASS - STATIONS OF THE CRASS 2LPBIG MANBIG M A NBIG MANBIG M A NWHAT A FUCKING JOKE

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    The dollar bins have been mighty kind to me the past few days:

Les McCann - Layers LP
    Junior - Mama Used to Say 12"
    Das Efx - They Want Efx 12"
    DNA & Suzanne Vega - Tom's Diner 12"
    N2Deep - Work That Body 12"
    Buddy Rich - Transition LP
    Soulful Strings - Groovin' LP
    Charles Mingus - Mingus Ah Um LP
    Enter the Dragon SDTK LP
    Mantronix - Music Madness LP
    Poor Righteous Teachers - Time to Say Peace 12"
    Gregory Isaacs - My Number One LP

Most of those are doubles that will soon be up for sale.

• THAT'S COOL I'M LISTENING TO CRASS

• Damn, I got 2 more hours till the weekend.

• Options
    I tell many of you that what drives me is hearing a dope tune I've never heard before. While I'm seriously fucked up right now

Quality stuff from a Trini god.

Umm, this is a soul track.

Earlier soul ballad work from Bob Williams. Obscure Canadian label which always had an open ear to West Indian musicians.

Godddamn.

Surfy psychedelic soul via Trinidad combo. Also released a rather funky LP on RA.

Bumpin reggae soul courtesy of a master singer.

Quality Bajan soul 45.

Ha! This happens to be by a Soulstruters mother - our own Paul E Styrene. Dope track on both sides.

Um, yes.

Rough Joe Gibbs produced I Roy chant over Wailers "Soul Rebel"

Both sides of this are utterly fantastic.

This one is very rare.

"I'm in a Dancing Mood" - Delroy Wilson

Jamaican modern soul take on "Wide Awake...". I think I'm gonna drop this on again.

Incredibly early studio 1 bidness. Mento in fact.

Dope Guyanese soul 45.

Pure Jamaican funk This is the third copy I've found (both went to very good freinds) - i think ym luck ont his has run out.

Vocal version ot Jo Jo Bennet's "Leaving Rome". Ill.

Extremely raw cover of the gospel standard. Pressing looks to be US. Anyone?

Nice skinhead jammy.

Even nicer skinhead jammys.

Raw Canadian femaler funk 45.

Funky crossover soul from New York?West Indian. Don't know if this ever got an island press or it was made in NEw York.

Studio 1 got records. Sugar joint is particularly enjoyable - over the "Can i Change MY Mind" rhythm.

I guess maybe because he was around performing forever or just that Trinidad has amazing musicians, but Sparrows band was tight, yo.

Freaky "my Conversation" wax.

Who got papes?, K.

• I got a Darondo "Didn't I" for a buck. Plus one of these for $5.

• I got a Darondo "Didn't I" for a buck. Plus one of these for $5.

fuck you

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    I got a Darondo "Didn't I" for a buck. Plus one of these for $5.

for me. congrats you bastard

• I got that Darondo on some mystical luck too. I had been scouring the flea for a couple hours this morning and was about to leave basically empty handed. I then saw one guy beginning to unpack his car and for some reason I decided to ask him if he had any records. He then brought out a backpack full of soul and funk 45s. I got some other cool stuff from him too but the Darondo was definitely the highlight.

• I got that Darondo on some mystical luck too. I had been scouring the flea for a couple hours this morning and was about to leave basically empty handed. I then saw one guy beginning to unpack his car and for some reason I decided to ask him if he had any records. He then brought out a backpack full of soul and funk 45s. I got some other cool stuff from him too but the Darondo was definitely the highlight.

Hmmmmm...I thought this tale of erotic digger fiction would of lead you to an rendezvous in the back of his van for so close-quarters excavation of 7 inches.

C-

• What is that?

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

What is that?

A Sony linear tracking turntable, AKA "The re-groover"

Hmmmmm...I thought this tale of erotic digger fiction would of lead you to an rendezvous in the back of his van for so close-quarters excavation of 7 inches.

C-

You spying on me dawg?

• What is that?

A Sony linear tracking turntable, AKA "The re-groover"

So does this thing damage records or something? I'm waiting for a new needle to arrive before I test it out but have you had bad experiences?

C-

hahaha.

only one record for me today: brian browne-the letter. guess this looks like some ole canadian dollar bin schmaltz but it's pretty dope nice funky drumming on hiheel sneakers and the letter.

• Options
    guess this looks like some ole canadian dollar bin schmaltz but it's pretty dope nice funky drumming on hiheel sneakers and the letter.

It's quite common up here, but a great LP.

K

• shitzrshitzr 648 Posts
    last week i went to a flea and met this dude who was selling a gang of 25cent commons for $12-20 bucks. i asked him if he had other records at home. he said that he inherited a ton of records from his hermit neighbor, paul, who dude said owned a record store in oakland called edison's phonographs.

i rolled through and picked these for $5 each, ALL SEALED:

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    DSF hooked it up nicely with the latin:

• shitzrshitzr 648 Posts
    sell me your orquesta kool. i know that's like your umpteenth copy. thanks.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Nah, I gotta have the mono and the stereo for the full Orchestra Kool experience.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    DSF hooked it up nicely with the latin:

Damn Rey, I was gonna surprise you with some Eddie Hernandez mp3s at some point, and you just RUINT it for me.

I thought I was the only one who had that record in this joinyt.

C'est La Vie!

• I got a Darondo "Didn't I" for a buck.

Wasn't a dollar, but still a very, very good deal.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Grabbed all the stuff above at one spot this morning,
    most of it from a box of records the dude that worked there
    had brought in to trade and let me get first crack at.

Tip of the Iceberg (title track) is dope big band jazz that gets a
    little EZ at times, but has sick drums throughout and nice clav on
    one track. Clavinet dominates the Hamilton Affair LP, which is kiddie-funk
    by the 2 young sons of deceased soul singer Roy Hamilton - he died in 1969, at only 40,
    the year the younger son was born - dedicated to their Dad and titled "To Roy."

Love, Peace & Happiness is a fine soul LP with
    a heavy gospel influence. I put it up in RH for DL.
    There was a hot or not on here last week about the Idris, I'll say
    hot for the 1st track on side 2 alone.
    I actually like the Turtles, and have a bunch of their other records,
    but could never find Batlle of the Bands (cheap) cause of sample spot value
    - having said that, it's crazy how many samples are on that album.
    And it's a good album, too.

Got the Left Banke in a trade with a fellow Strutter, really psyched
    to have a copy of this personal grail - thanks to R**n for the good looks on trades!

PS
    Left Banke can be heard @ MASSEXODERMY

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    I got a Darondo "Didn't I" for a buck.

Wasn't a dollar, but still a very, very good deal.

I hate you both!

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

Love, Peace & Happiness is a fine soul LP with
    a heavy gospel influence. I put it up in RH for DL.
    T

PS
    Left Banke can be heard @ MASSEXODERMY

plaese to bring Love Peace and Happiness to Massexodermy

thnaks

grabbed a great northern soul LP by a guy better known for his disco modern soul. Rather not say who it is and let the music speak for itself

yesterday

• Options

Pssshhh. Second press.

Seriously, does anyone have a discography of teh 45's released by these dudes?

Inquiring mines wan to know.

Buuurpppp, K.

Pssshhh. Second press.

Is it not enough for you to own every JA single ever released?
    Do you have to poop all over my records as well?

Besides, look closely - this is the raer PROMO COPY

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Got some killer gospel records today, I'll post a pic later when I'm sober.

• Options
    i, kevvvin laverty, LEAVE EVERY jAMAICAN SINGLE i OWN to some dude in Boston.

Sgined in Canada.

P.S. Even the good ones.

• pretty good for about half way through..only the second release i've seen on the at-home label

late 60's private press by a Los Angeles area college jazz group...mostly free jazz but then 2 funk tracks (orange grease & neophonic funk) blew me outta the frame!

this was definately THE find for me...1969 out of Arkansas. One of those records that just cant be classified...its mellow psych rock, its got some soul cuts, its got two funk tracks..reminds me of dierde wilson tabac but more of an edge. Really good record.

i, kevvvin laverty, LEAVE EVERY jAMAICAN SINGLE i OWN to some dude in Boston.

Sgined in Canada.

P.S. Even the good ones.

CHEERS![/b]