NEW WAX PO'

99Problems99Problems 1,541 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central

Comments

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Sad to say I didn't renew my subscription. Way too many issues gone unread. Pretty pictures, though.

• I thought O-Dub's Joe Bataan article/interview was going to be in this one.
    What happened O-Dub?

• Sad to say I didn't renew my subscription. Way too many issues gone unread. Pretty pictures, though.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Sad to say I didn't renew my subscription. Way too many issues gone unread. Pretty pictures, though.

Sayin' though. I still buy 'em off the shelf, then they sit on the nightstand until the next one comes out. Still - I get mad when I miss one.

• Sad to say I didn't renew my subscription. Way too many issues gone unread. Pretty pictures, though.

Sayin' though. I still buy 'em off the shelf, then they sit on the nightstand until the next one comes out. Still - I get mad when I miss one.

I've been slowly goin through and catchin up. Every time I take the time to read one, there is tons of

Recently finished the David Matthews piece in issue 12 and it was great.

They are good for while I am waiting at the laundromat, but I am behind in reading a couple of issues. I'll still pick it up when I see it at the store.

• who did the mizell interview?
    is there any insight, or just regular background info?

• ooh the mizell bros. i hope they talk a little producto techniques.

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    who did the mizell interview?

RONNIE REESE. member of the chicago massive..

• Great issue once again. Those brazilian records at the end...

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

Same here, but I GOTTA buy this one.

• Why do people complain about wax po? Name another US magazine catering to this music & culture.

• people complain about it? that's actually shocking. it's the first magazine i've ever been able to read pretty much front to back and remain intrigued the whole time.

as far as collecting issues, i haven't bought one since 5 or 6, i'm definitely sleeping. But if you have 1-5, you can be a paid individual on ebay. i saw a lot of 1-4 sell for over $100 a year or so ago.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Why do people complain about wax po?

Because this is soulstrut!

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    who did the mizell interview?
    is there any insight, or just regular background info?

Great issue. Mizell Brothers interview is fantastic. Larry mentions jumpjump.com!

Dan

• why some of you guys by WP but don't read it is pretty dumb

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    why some of you guys read WP instead of 6 page threads about young jeezy is pretty dumb

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    I love wax poetics because it tells me what records will be in fashion for the new season.

then I can adjust my ebay auctions accordingly.

---

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I thought O-Dub's Joe Bataan article/interview was going to be in this one.
    What happened O-Dub?

I asked to push it back one more issue because I wanted to get one more interview done. It'll definitely be in this next issue.

• I thought O-Dub's Joe Bataan article/interview was going to be in this one.
    What happened O-Dub?

I asked to push it back one more issue because I wanted to get one more interview done. It'll definitely be in this next issue.

congrats man, thats awesome. I actually love WP and try to pick it up when I have extra cash.

• Why do people complain about wax po? Name another US magazine catering to this music & culture.

most complaints i hear are pointed at the CTI factor. let's face it, wax po does treat creed taylor like willie wonka.

that being said, you are very right. not one american magazine even comes close. probably won't anytime soon either.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    why some of you guys by WP but don't read it is pretty dumb
    Cos quite frankly, a good portion of the articles just do not interest me at all. I'll read it for whatever articles or interviews I bought it for but I do not read more than 50% of a given issue. I don't give a fuck about no sonic laser exploding turntables with rubberbands and the similar shit that is covered.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

if someone caught me reading an article about laser turntables, my street credibility would be diminished

• I love wax poetics because it tells me what records will be in fashion for the new season.

then I can adjust my ebay auctions accordingly.

---

hehehe

I noticed the 5th Cup Bikel/Gershon Kingsley lp in there...might have to tho' mine up while it's in fashion...

Issue is pretty good though. Although I have to say I've had my sure fill of Axelrod articles for the next decade or so.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    I don't have a subscription, but I've picked up every issue so far. Don't read everything, but that's true of every magazine I've ever bought.

Some of the criticism of the mag has been well founded I believe. At the same time though, people use to make all kinds of complaints about Big Daddy and that other English mag that the same people put out (memory is bad right now and can't remember the name) for it's poor layouts, "Heavy Bronx" quotes, etc. but I still thought they were both excellent and miss them.

The complaints about Wax Po voiced here on the Strut that stand out the most for me were the following:

1) Subject choice. John Klemmer was the most glaring example. Who cares about that dude except for one album that was sampled? Waste of space.

2) Incestuous relationship with Egon and Stones Throw. Everytime the guy puts out a record he writes a long piece on the band(s) to be included. While Egon is a good writer and usually brings his well referenced and researched pieces at the same time that's called stealth marketing in the advertising world because he's promoting his album at the same time as writing about an artist without overtly saying it.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

2) Incestuous relationship with Egon and Stones Throw. Everytime the guy puts out a record he writes a long piece on the band(s) to be included. While Egon is a good writer and usually brings his well referenced and researched pieces at the same time that's called stealth marketing in the advertising world because he's promoting his album at the same time as writing about an artist without overtly saying it.

Well, I always thought there should be more disclosure on that but we've been through this before: in many cases, Egon also happens to be the best person to write the story. The problem here is that Egon is a collector and historian...and also runs a record label that reflects his interest as a collector and historian. I guess I've been more willing to give him a pass simply because I think his motives are pure. If he didn't help run Stonesthrow but still knew the whole back history behind the Stark Reality LP, he'd be one of the obvious people to ask to write a piece on it.

Again, I respect the fact that this is a pretty obvious case of "conflict of interest" in any other situation. I just think it'd be a pity to lose Egon's knowledge over it.

By the way, my wife asked me this the other day: since I did something on the Sylvers II album for this issue, if I also happened to be selling a few sealed OGs of it, would that be a conflict of interest as well?

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    I think the problem with Big Daddy/Grand Slam was that they DIDN'T get into re-issuing/comping wax, so in effect they were always hyping someone else's shit instead of banking on their own knowledge. I mean you don't publish mags to make money really. The Heavy Bronx thing was cute but gets annoying.

• i just got a subscription as a gift for my 30th birthday so i'm full of waxpo love since it's free for a year!

that said...and since this is soulstrut...my eternal gripe:

they stopped writing about deep disco and 12"s in general...they used to have this great 12X12 feature that was dropped and then replaced with long, meandering articles about john klemmer and joe zawinal...please bring back the disco!

• i just got a subscription as a gift for my 30th birthday so i'm full of waxpo love since it's free for a year!

that said...and since this is soulstrut...my eternal gripe:

they stopped writing about deep disco and 12"s in general...they used to have this great 12X12 feature that was dropped and then replaced with long, meandering articles about john klemmer and joe zawinal...please bring back the disco!

They had 12X12 in the last issue dude (the one with Axelrod on the cover). Someone must have heard your complaint.

My issue with the magazine is I wish they covered more 60s jazz and 60s soul. They do a fair amount on funk and way too much on 70's jazz fusion. Also, more Latin coverage would be a plus.