Crash ...

tiger_blurptiger_blurp 275 Posts
edited May 2005 in Off Topic (NRR)
So, I really liked this movie, even though it fucked with my emotions a bit. I'm still somewhat new in Los Angeles (about a year now), so movies about this place still catch me on a weird, almost surreal level and tweak my fascination. But in a good way. Can't separate that from my enjoyment of the film.Anybody else see this yet. Any early haters? Early likers?I only had one logistical qualm with it, but it's a pretty minor qualm, and I don't want to elaborate for fear of spoiling. No spoilers please. ...

Comments

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    I just watched 'Beverly Hills Cops' the other day for the first time since I moved to LA...that was weird. 'Collateral' felt real surreal taking place here too. Haven't seen 'Crash' but I'm sure I'll be into it from all the things that I've heard about it.

• I didn't like this movie at all. The whole thing was so contrived and unbelievable that I had a hard time taking any of it seriously.

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts
    I didn't like this movie at all. The whole thing was so contrived and unbelievable that I had a hard time taking any of it seriously.

Add me to the list of haters...I thought the movie was way too heavy-handed with the irony and bigotry. I was like, "Okay, we get it. Everyone's a racist...Except for Mexican American locksmiths, that is."

Faux_rillz and my sister liked it, though.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    um, maybe its my ignorant canadian ass, but isnt there a canuck movie about perverts that get hot off car accidents by the same name? i thought that's what you were talking about and found the replies odd. something about recreating accidents like the james dean one and people humping to that sheit.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    yeah Crash is a david cronenberg film too. ill flick

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    ...Except for Mexican American locksmiths, that is."

Everybody knows Serg is the real People's Champ!

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

There is nothing "ill" about that movie, TheMack... even Cronenberg fans (of which I am not one) thought it was trash.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    yeah it was like "phuck man you smashed my tercel...my panties are moist"

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

There is nothing "ill" about that movie, TheMack... even Cronenberg fans (of which I am not one) thought it was trash.

"Trash" is a bit strong....'the most boring film I have ever seen' comes to mind, though. Would have made a decent (but still boring)short film.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    the J.G. Ballard novel the Cronenberg movie was based on is dope, though...some novels just should not be brought onto the visual plane...especially not with James Spader...

James Spader...

oooh how I despise this actor's 'work'

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    James Spader...

His entire school of acting is based upon 273 different ways of speaking through a clenched jaw.

here's a bonus for you, Birdman...I looked for the newspaper article image of Mitchum getting busted, and found this, which has the great caption:

Lester Bangs nominated this photograph
    of Mitchum's reaction to being imprisoned
    for smoking a joint fifty years ago as
    among the seeds of rebellion that led
    to punk rock.

• I don't even understand what the message of this movie was supposed to be.. it was like they were trying to combine "Do The Right Thing" and "Shortcuts" in LA (but really dark and depressing-like).

dude, Crash was an ill film. dont knock the hustle son

• wholewheatwholewheat 437 Posts
    This was a more enjoyable interpretation of that book than the film:

James Spader...

His entire school of acting is based upon 273 different ways of speaking through a clenched jaw.

here's a bonus for you, Birdman...I looked for the newspaper article image of Mitchum getting busted, and found this, which has the great caption:

Lester Bangs nominated this photograph
    of Mitchum's reaction to being imprisoned
    for smoking a joint fifty years ago as
    among the seeds of rebellion that led
    to punk rock.

Bob's the man. RIP.

And themack, glad you liked CRASH, I tried as a good Cronenberg fan, but I have since decided that aside from Videodrome and a few others, I must not be as big a Cronenberg fan as I initially thought. That realization came after waking up in the theatre at the Golden Nugget in Las Vegas, having spent $8 to take a nap to the lulling strains of CRASH.

Diff'rent strokes, friend.

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    dude, Crash was an ill film. dont knock the hustle son

• dude, Crash was an ill film. dont knock the hustle son

Out of curiosity, for those of you who dug it, what was it that you liked so much?

Cuz I came out of there like "say whaaaa?"

• 99Problems99Problems 1,541 Posts
    At of the people who saw it, who thought Larenz Tate was the shooter?

One thing I think they did brilliantly was test the viewer's assumptions in that scene.

Ok, we are now at the point where there must be a distinction:

Which "Crash" are we talking about?

One thing I think they did brilliantly was test the viewer's assumptions in that scene.

It never crossed my mind that Larenz Tate could have been the shooter...I think it was pretty obvious that he going to produce the figurine and Ryan Phillipe was jumping the gun (literally and figuratively). If Haggis intended me to assume otherwise, then he did a piss poor job.

It never crossed my mind that Larenz Tate could have been the shooter...I think it was pretty obvious that he going to produce the figurine and Ryan Phillipe was jumping the gun (literally and figuratively). If Haggis intended me to assume otherwise, then he did a piss poor job.

But then again, Ludacris made the point earlier in the film about why we should be afraid of white people.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

Cronenberg's early films (The Brood, Rabid, Scanners) are some of my favourite. I feel like his last good film was Dead Ringers.

I didn't like Crash too much. On paper, it sounded like my kind of movie, but there was something missing...it was too sterile for me. That can work aesthetcially, but it didn't in this film, it kept me from caring or becoming interested. And the sexy bits were disappointing, too cinical.

You know who does aloof sex really well? Fassbinder.

Oh yea, I finally saw Sin City. What the hell was Bruce Willis doing in that film? Maybe his story should not have been last? I thought he was as flat as a 2x4. It was great eye candy. I am now officially a Clive Owen fan. That first shot of him in Kadie's - that look on his face...that's a p*nty melter right there.

• 99Problems99Problems 1,541 Posts

But then again, Ludacris made the point earlier in the film about why we should be afraid of white people.

I don't mind admitting that I make assumptions based on race, appearance, etc.. We all do it everyday.

• Cronenberg's early films (The Brood, Rabid, Scanners) are some of my favourite. I feel like his last good film was Dead Ringers.

Nobody digs "Naked Lunch"? I fucking love it.

Peace...
    FNM

Naked Lunch is totally NUTS! great movie

• MUGWUMP JISM
    MUGWUMP JISM
    MUGWUMP JISM

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Naked Lunch is totally NUTS! great movie

BENGAY!!!!

no, no TONO

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts
    If you're in LA or NY you should peep this. Missed it at the filmfest but my friend went and now it's on my must see list. I'm waiting for the Tartan release. Wish I was in LA or NY right now. Opened on the 6th....

I'll warn you now child abuse and fisting old men are shown, so if you have a weak stomach avoid it...lol

• AserAser 2,351 Posts

I like how you always tell us what you think is terrible, yet rarely when something is good. And when you do, it's mostly after much prodding by fellow strutters. Maybe it might be better to focus on the positive?

This is just an observation............no need to get hostile and play me off as a "lil dude on your jock".