Busta Rhymes

debardebar 215 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
I just saw the Touch It vid by Busta Rhymes and dude looks weird without the dreads. I just realized he must be getting pretty old. I was bumping The Coming when I was in elementary school. He's still on Aftermath right? Is dude still relevant?

Comments

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    Is dude still relevant?
    Yes.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Is dude still relevant?
    Yes.

Jamaican bias

• I just saw the Touch It vid by Busta Rhymes and dude looks weird without the dreads. I just realized he must be getting pretty old. I was bumping The Coming when I was in elementary school. He's still on Aftermath right? Is dude still relevant?

well, they were in high school rappin about high school in 1991.... and those songs were probably recorded in 1990... so yeah busta's gotta be getting pretty old... Is he relevant? I'll say he's stayed with it the whole time. He's current in the game. He's not "old school" yet. So, yes.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    He's still relevant, just not to me.

• I just saw the Touch It vid by Busta Rhymes and dude looks weird without the dreads. I just realized he must be getting pretty old. I was bumping The Coming when I was in elementary school. He's still on Aftermath right? Is dude still relevant?

well, they were in high school rappin about high school in 1991.... and those songs were probably recorded in 1990... so yeah busta's gotta be getting pretty old... Is he relevant? I'll say he's stayed with it the whole time. He's current in the game. He's not "old school" yet. So, yes.

surprisingly ...I think he's only just 32 or 3? Much younger than members of the Wu or Jay z...

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    Is dude still relevant?
    Yes.

Jamaican bias

Yes.

• I was bumping The Coming when I was in elementary school.

damn, that makes me feel old.

• ZomBZomB 397 Posts
    Pussy cat dolls =

• Well, he is kinda relevant since he's a good mc and is still "with it" so to speak but after he did that awful, despicable, really gut-wrenching "pass the courvasier" i can't really listen to him seriously

/L

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    I was bumping The Coming when I was in elementary school.

damn, that makes me feel old.

Me too.

The new album will tell if Busta is still relevant. I think "Touch It" is fiyah, and I'm looking forward to hearing the new ish.

• From the TTlab Reveiw by Urrs of the new busta.
    In 2000 I was DJing these huge happy hour parties that were 95% Korean and Chinese bankers and party girls. The party was at a different NY mega-club every week. The main rooms were full on trance debauchery, and I was in the smaller "spillover" room playing r&b and hip-hop, ostensibly for dancing but really for people to come in and make out on the couches or booths. Finger banging and head on the dance floor and all that. One night I threw on a long track to go see what was going on in the main room. In the middle of a circle on the dancefloor, there was a dude who looked a lot like Busta Rhymes, in a hockey mask with dreads and tattoos, spinning glow sticks and liquid dancing his ass off. He took the mask off and it turns out it WAS Busta, getting it on real hard on some closet raver shit. Maybe that sheds some light on the Daft Punk sampling "Touch It," which is neither Swizz Beats nor Busta Rhymes's finest moment, but a cool intersection of styles nonetheless.

• gambitgambit 906 Posts
    From the TTlab Reveiw by Urrs of the new busta.
    In 2000 I was DJing these huge happy hour parties that were 95% Korean and Chinese bankers and party girls. The party was at a different NY mega-club every week. The main rooms were full on trance debauchery, and I was in the smaller "spillover" room playing r&b and hip-hop, ostensibly for dancing but really for people to come in and make out on the couches or booths. Finger banging and head on the dance floor and all that. One night I threw on a long track to go see what was going on in the main room. In the middle of a circle on the dancefloor, there was a dude who looked a lot like Busta Rhymes, in a hockey mask with dreads and tattoos, spinning glow sticks and liquid dancing his ass off. He took the mask off and it turns out it WAS Busta, getting it on real hard on some closet raver shit. Maybe that sheds some light on the Daft Punk sampling "Touch It," which is neither Swizz Beats nor Busta Rhymes's finest moment, but a cool intersection of styles nonetheless.
    Remember when Swizz Beats bragged about not sampling?

I mean, he's killing shit right now, but things that make you go hmmm...

I dig "Touch It." I haven't purchased a Busta album since the second joint. I want to cop the other ones, but I can't. I think it'll be a waste of my time. Busta is one of the exciting characters in the game to me. I haven't really been mad at any single he's ever put out.

I want to cop the other ones, but I can't. I think it'll be a waste of my time.

The third one is decent, but after that he just went into a Ludacris-like holding pattern--he'd already shown the public all of his tricks. How many albums does he have now--six?

I will admit that I am gradually buying into the hype surrounding this latest one, though. An industry insider assured me that it is a classic.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    Is he still holding true to his apocalyptic dogma?

There's only 5 years left!

I love that shit.

• Is he still holding true to his apocalyptic dogma?

There's only 5 years left!

I love that shit.

Yeah, he saw the coming of Bush way before anyone else.

• Pussy cat dolls =

Dude, they might not be a good music but they are most definitely a good look.

• gambitgambit 906 Posts
    I want to cop the other ones, but I can't. I think it'll be a waste of my time.

The third one is decent, but after that he just went into a Ludacris-like holding pattern--he'd already shown the public all of his tricks. How many albums does he have now--six?

I will admit that I am gradually buying into the hype surrounding this latest one, though.

"Touch It" has me intrigued, I'm not gonna lie. I think cutting the dreads was a good move too. Depending on how the album is released, I may cop it.

Does any industry insider know how much Spliffstar gets paid off of Busta's payroll? That's been a high curiousity forever! Also, please assure me that Flipmode is dead? I'd hate to see them re-emerge on the new project.

• I want to cop the other ones, but I can't. I think it'll be a waste of my time.

I will admit that I am gradually buying into the hype surrounding this latest one, though.

"Touch It" has me intrigued, I'm not gonna lie. I think cutting the dreads was a good move too. Depending on how the album is released, I may cop it.

Does any industry insider know how much Spliffstar gets paid off of Busta's payroll?

Don't know how much he gets paid, but I have heard that's Busta's lil mans and them.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    From the TTlab Reveiw by Urrs of the new busta.
    In 2000 I was DJing these huge happy hour parties that were 95% Korean and Chinese bankers and party girls. The party was at a different NY mega-club every week. The main rooms were full on trance debauchery, and I was in the smaller "spillover" room playing r&b and hip-hop, ostensibly for dancing but really for people to come in and make out on the couches or booths. Finger banging and head on the dance floor and all that. One night I threw on a long track to go see what was going on in the main room. In the middle of a circle on the dancefloor, there was a dude who looked a lot like Busta Rhymes, in a hockey mask with dreads and tattoos, spinning glow sticks and liquid dancing his ass off. He took the mask off and it turns out it WAS Busta, getting it on real hard on some closet raver shit.[/b] Maybe that sheds some light on the Daft Punk sampling "Touch It," which is neither Swizz Beats nor Busta Rhymes's finest moment, but a cool intersection of styles nonetheless.

That's hilarious. Nice way to illustrate a point too.

Doesn't Busta have his own TV show now, taking place at a barber shop?

I kinda hate the term "sell out", but Busta is indeed a sellout. He'll chase after anything just to have his name on it. he's on the laffy taffy rerap for chrissakes. babbling about having a dance and all that shit. whatever dude. I predict within this year he'll be babbling over Tejano joints... you know... just in case...

Maybe it just pisses me off because he used to be one of my favorite rappers ever. Put Your Hands Where My Eyes Can See and Rhymes Galore was the last good thing he made, and how many years ago was that?

I put on my hatting hat when it comes to that dude.

• I kinda hate the term "sell out", but Busta is indeed a sellout. He'll chase after anything just to have his name on it. he's on the laffy taffy rerap for chrissakes. babbling about having a dance and all that shit. whatever dude. I predict within this year he'll be babbling over Tejano joints... you know... just in case...

Maybe it just pisses me off because he used to be one of my favorite rappers ever. Put Your Hands Where My Eyes Can See and Rhymes Galore was the last good thing he made, and how many years ago was that?

I put on my hatting hat when it comes to that dude.

I don't think he's a sellout, cause he was already on every third remix and making party/commercial joints at that time but I would say he has no ability whatsoever to pass up a verse, and that's to his detriment.

I kinda hate the term "sell out", but Busta is indeed a sellout. He'll chase after anything just to have his name on it. he's on the laffy taffy rerap for chrissakes. babbling about having a dance and all that shit. whatever dude. I predict within this year he'll be babbling over Tejano joints... you know... just in case...

Why are you mad that one of your favorite MCs is getting money by jumping on a bunch of different remixes? True, he spread himself too thin and people got tired of him, but that's more his problem than yours.

If anything, be mad that he ran out of new and creative ideas to employ in the projects he releases under his own name.

cause he was already on every third remix and making party/commercial joints at that time

True, true. But then again he was actually adding something, making it better, or whatever. Now its kinda "oh jesus, that guy again?" Like its the exact same song, except with busta babbling over it.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    I predict within this year he'll be babbling over Tejada joints... you know... just in case...

international zone coaster remix is still though