SLANG words you NEVER want to hear again

Skip DrinkwaterSkip Drinkwater 1,694 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
i can't believe i actually heard someone say "phat" the other day. made me feel very odd and uncomfortable. you?

Comments

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    "chillaxin"

Which, unbelieveable as it is that certain people actually used it to begin with, I actually saw in use TWICE on myspace last week.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    i can't believe i actually heard someone say "phat" the other day. made me feel very odd and uncomfortable. you?

what was the context?

i could go without hearing "it's the bomb" or any humps/lumps references for a while

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    "Rad" - as in, "that breakbeat on the fourth Maxayn album sure is RAD."

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    i actually heard someone say "phat" the other day.
    i tried to use that in boggle a few days ago... got shut the fuck down.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I've detested 'shorty' and 'boo' for at least a decade now

If we drag slang phrases out this could be a long thread

what was the context?

i could go without hearing "it's the bomb" or any humps/lumps references for a while

I'm probably gonna get flamed into next Thursday for saying this, but hip-hop terminology doesn't really age well.

• "hells yeah"

ugh, terrible. this is that teenage white girl slang that somehow caught on. i heard someone say this in a commercial the other day. it was a dude too.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    "hells yeah"

ugh, terrible. this is that teenage white girl slang that somehow caught on. i heard someone say this in a commercial the other day. it was a dude too.

toss in "hella"

That was amusing like 20 years ago when it was a bay phenomenon.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    I don't know if it's considered slang or not, but I want to shoot the guy who came up with 'metrosexual'.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    "chillaxin"

Word. Also, saying "hecka" is grounds for a beating.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    I got abuse for saying "true dat" recently.

• i can't believe i actually heard someone say "phat" the other day. made me feel very odd and uncomfortable. you?

what was the context?

i was actually at amoeba, and heard someone refer to a cd as "phat". i felt violated afterwards.

does the "nizzle" thing even deserve a mention, or is that a given? i'm hearing it reduced to "niz" now, like "what up my niz". i've even heard "nozzle" in the same context. blah.

"My bad" sounded terrible even when it was new.

what was the context?

I'm probably gonna get flamed into next Thursday for saying this, but hip-hop terminology doesn't really age well.

Eh, most rap records don't age well either... but there are a number of classic terms from the genre that never go away, and eventually become a part of the country's lexicon...

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    "weak sauce"

"cool beans"

and other frat boy delights.

I also just learned what "felching" is recently and I wish I hadn't.

-e

• i can't believe i actually heard someone say "phat" the other day. made me feel very odd and uncomfortable. you?

i aint gonna lie..I caught myself using "phat" the other day, and after stopping and realizing what I said, I felt very odd and uncomfortable.

• WHAT IT DO

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    "My bad" sounded terrible even when it was new.

There are people in the world who DON'T say "my bad"?

I thought it was pretty universal by now.

-e

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    "Bling"

When everything from your local news to Entertainment Tonight is using the word, you know it's time to move the fuck on.

SG

• as far as marijuana slang, i don't want to hear anyone in LA say "bud" again. it ain't '95 anymore. "pot" always irked me.

• "Sweet!"

and its retarded cousin

"Schweet!"

Ugh.

dunzo

Strangely enough, one overused 90's cliche that I still kinda like is "don't go there."

Somebody uses it in, of all places, the new issue of No Depression magazine, and it actually sounds even MORE powerful out of the neckrolling-sistagirl context it came from. That one should stay with us.

• "weak sauce"

"cool beans"

and other frat boy delights.

I also just learned what "felching" is recently and I wish I hadn't.

-e
    "weak sauce" is cool by me, as is it's counterpart "hot sauce" (when used correctly), but "cool beans" haha!! that's hilarious.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    I'm all for regional slang, but calling a dude a "bol" is something that I still can't get with.

:::cringe:::

sweet
    my bad
    what it do

let's not get too picky here

Strangely enough, one overused 90's cliche that I still kinda like is "don't go there."

Somebody uses it in, of all places, the new issue of No Depression magazine, and it actually sounds even MORE powerful out of the neckrolling-sistagirl context it came from. That one should stay with us.

Your slanguage choices are looking mad suspect right now

• "Sweet!"

and its retarded cousin

"Schweet!"

Ugh.
    haha! i've actually said "that's a sweet deal" before, but felt strange and depressed afterwards.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    "Rad"

i use this word a lot.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    i hear YOU GO GIRL[/b] in the office all the time. cringeworthy to the fullest