dropping the music snob mentality

13»

Comments

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    At least you didn't mistake Patti Austin for a white woman!

That would be Rosemary Clooney

See?

One sang baby come to me, the other gave you extra value when you bought Coronet.

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts
    At least you didn't mistake Patti Austin for a white woman!

That would be Rosemary Clooney

I'm telling you, it was an honest mistake!

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts

Let that be a lesson to you: singers should be judged--to paraphrase this great man--

not on the color of their skin, but on the content of their character.

Real talk.

Let that be a lesson to you: singers should be judged--to paraphrase this great man--

Real talk.

Peabo Bryson really said that? What a profound dude!

Real talk.

EVERYBODY, SING ALONG:

Baby, can you stop the rain... from falling
    wont you chase my clouds away
    id give anything to see the sun again
    only you can stop these tears from falling
    i cant face another day
    baby can you stop

• This song has great sentimental value to me...We were living in North Dakota when it came out and I would think about my dad working the "night shift" on the flight line (he was in the Air Force) in sub-30 degree temperatures. Enough to bring a tear to my eye this very day.

ND stand up! I got fam that works plowing snow on the tarmack at the Minot base!

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts

Real talk.

Peabo Bryson really said that? What a profound dude!

Oh shit, is that Peabo Bryson? My mistake.

What I meant to say was:

Real talk.

This song has great sentimental value to me...We were living in North Dakota when it came out and I would think about my dad working the "night shift" on the flight line (he was in the Air Force) in sub-30 degree temperatures. Enough to bring a tear to my eye this very day.

ND stand up! I got fam that works plowing snow on the tarmack at the Minot base!

That's where we were stationed! People need to know there's more to NoDak then Fargo (not much, but there is).

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts

its starting to smell like moder soul in here...

I honestly pitty all of you.

I honestly pity someone who misspells 'pitty' more.

Let's go for "pissy" and "pithy" as well.

• anthonypearsonanthonypearson 2,442 Posts
    honestly...

the raers mean nothing without the commons and the commons mean nothing without the raers.

that them there the facts.

hall and oats
    america
    james taylor
    stevie wonder
    steely dan
    michael franks
    firefall
    poco
    kenny rankin
    cat stevens
    neil young

get real you roy ayres hes coming bitches.

theres more to music than raers.

ap

• This song has great sentimental value to me...We were living in North Dakota when it came out and I would think about my dad working the "night shift" on the flight line (he was in the Air Force) in sub-30 degree temperatures. Enough to bring a tear to my eye this very day.

Reppin' Grand Forks North Dakota... Heal jeah...

&

• Plastic surgery modern soul:

• anthonypearsonanthonypearson 2,442 Posts
    st8 Up

20/20 and shit ( soft focus filter )

Plastic surgery modern soul:

Gotta mention this too, again going back to the Exploding[/b] book by Stan Cornyn. When Warner Bros. wanted to sign George Benson, they were taking him away from CTI even though he owed CTI a number of albums. That story is probably well known. However, the people at Warner Bros. insisted that Benson would sing, and for the longest time Benson refuses, claiming he didn't want to be "that kind of artist". Yet being "that kind of artist" is what gave him his massive popularity.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    the raers mean nothing without the commons and the commons mean nothing without the raers.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

and neither mean shit if they're terrible records to begin with

I've been saying this for 15 years, but Universal needs to do a Rare Earth Records box set. Big ass orange box.

I seem to recall Motown had a 2-CD set about ten years ago, detailing their entire Motown history from Genesis to Amen. From roughly '69 to '79. Comprehensive liner notes, too (a good thing, considering that most Motown books regard them as footnotes).

The group or the label? I would expect for them to do a Rare Earth comp, but one for the label as well?

The group. Didn't know you meant the whole label.

How come nobody's mentioned Ray Parker, Jr.[/b]?

Or is he too "rock" for this thread (see: "The Other Woman")?

Always been a fan of the label, not only as an odd Motown entity, but for what they were able to release in that time period. Brass Monkey, Toejam, the duo with Meat Loaf, Toe Fat, Love Sculpture, or all of the people who released 45's and never came back.

Always been a fan of the label, not only as an odd Motown entity, but for what they were able to release in that time period. Brass Monkey, Toejam, the duo with Meat Loaf, Toe Fat, Love Sculpture, or all of the people who released 45's and never came back.

I've always wanted to hear those Sunday Funnies, Lost Nation and Messengers albums myself (although those I've talked to say that the Funnies and the Nation aren't worth the trouble).

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    honestly...

that them there the facts.

hall and oats

america

james taylor

stevie wonder

steely dan

michael franks

firefall (???)

poco (1st one)

kenny rankin

cat stevens

neil young[/b]

get real you roy ayres hes coming bitches.

theres more to music than raers.

ap

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

I've always wanted to hear those Sunday Funnies, Lost Nation and Messengers albums myself (although those I've talked to say that the Funnies and the Nation aren't worth the trouble).

That Sunday Funnies LP had a great cover(same dude who did Abraxas), but it was completely forgettable listening. Too bad.

• Reppin' Grand Forks North Dakota... Heal jeah...

&

hell yeah! that's where my pops went to school. i fucking love ND.

^-- jamestown, nd - the quick stop photo op of many a family journey across this:

• soulrezsoulrez 565 Posts
    [i fucking love ND.
    but didnt you go to **?

• [i fucking love ND.
    but didnt you go to **?

hahaha, hell ya, let me just edit that shit right quick and say that by i fucking love ND, i mean i fucking love north dakota. the other nd can suck a touchdown jeezus for all i care!