dropping the music snob mentality

Comments

• whoah, I'm TONOBUNGAY??!

you'll always be studio carpet to me

which leads me to ask, do you approve of rug-munching?

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    does this qualify? it seems so obvious

and this

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

RULEZ!!!!

next time I see it I'm copping

what was that LP with the close-up of the face?

any steely is worth copping for a buck.

• RULEZ!!!!

notice that the bench he's passed out on has a very 'crate-like' pattern to it...

know-ledge being DROPPED!

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    Dudes try to sleep, but the title song alone is worth 100 pennies:

"You know you're not alooone...On the night shift."

Oh shit. Me and the missus had a talk about this just the other day: My position was that this tune--if not exactly everybody's idea of good--is pretty smooth in the way it uses "the night shift" to evoke both 1) the abtract idea of the particular afterlife that contains all the fallen performers roll-called therein and 2) the very every-day idea of listening to dusties while working late.

Her position was that she didn't remember this song. At all.

Okay, I guess maybe "had a talk" might be a little strong, but still. Definitely worth the buck.

On a faintly related note: Whatever happened to The Pasadenas?

David Crosby: "If I Could only remember my name"

AP would approve, I think...

RULEZ!!!!

notice that the bench he's passed out on has a very 'crate-like' pattern to it...

know-ledge being DROPPED!

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

David Crosby - "If I Could Only Remember My Name"

Edit: Got scooped by the Tart.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    oof...cant fuck with tears for fears.

but hall & oats? Shit is Bangin Son!!! Where you been at on this one?

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts
    Dudes try to sleep, but the title song alone is worth 100 pennies:

"You know you're not alooone...On the night shift."

Oh shit. Me and the missus had a talk about this just the other day: My position was that this tune--if not exactly everybody's idea of good--is pretty smooth in the way it uses "the night shift" to evoke both 1) the abtract idea of the particular afterlife that contains all the fallen performers roll-called therein and 2) the very every-day idea of listening to dusties while working late.

Her position was that she didn't remember this song. At all.

Okay, I guess maybe "had a talk" might be a little strong, but still. Definitely worth the buck.

This song has great sentimental value to me...We were living in North Dakota when it came out and I would think about my dad working the "night shift" on the flight line (he was in the Air Force) in sub-30 degree temperatures. Enough to bring a tear to my eye this very day.

I'm also a big fan of "Chinese Wall" by Philip Bailey, which faux_rillz has effectively dismissed as a Phil Collins tune.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    damn this shit is great Can't believe I ignored them all these years

what other 0.50 gems am I missing out on?

Fuck music snob mentality, fuck looking for beats and samples, in terms of just decent music, Hall & Oates were one of many great duos of the 1970's. MTV did help them, but it also forced them to become more visually appealing, when in truth their best videos were the basic ones (compare "I Can't Go For That (No Can Do)" to "Family Man" or "Adult Education").

I've only heard a few songs on that Atlantic album, but everything else is good.

I think compared to a lot of modern pop, these guys were geniuses. Yet you're going to have your share of people who will avoid "pop craftiness" because they think it's a term or something.

I'm also a big fan of "Chinese Wall" by Philip Bailey, which faux_rillz has effectively dismissed as a Phil Collins tune.

Can we get a ruling on "Yah Mo B There"?

Is it him or is it me?

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    To me, this just comes back to whether you like "modern soul" at all or not, because Hall & Oates were as tight and consistent as the best of 'em in that genre/timeperiod.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    To me, this just comes back to whether you like "modern soul" at all or not, because Hall & Oates were as tight and consistent as the best of 'em in that genre/timeperiod.

but this ain't even a modern soul thing. all these albums are from between '73 - '76. they have more in common with Richie havens than they do with the Gap Band

Is it him or is it me?

That was a good song as well.

Another great song, and I like that better than "Easy Lover". Sure, Phil Collins sings background, plays drum on it (I don't have the album in my hands, but I think he produced it as well). What I liked was that it wasn't typical Philip Bailey, where he's singing his high falsetto all the time, which at the time was a shock.

Dudes try to sleep, but the title song alone is worth 1,000 pennies:

"I Feel Sanctified" is worth 1000 pennies and at least 40 nickels.

Is it him or is it me?

Well, a song that makes it onto the "Best of" James Ingram and Michael McDonald albums can't be half bad, can it? What was the deal with James and the white collaborators (Patti Austin, Linda Rondstadt, etc.?)

Seriously, I always thought Billy Ocean was a lot more sincere than James...(His output was not limited to Caribbean Queen, for those of you not in the "know")

• the3rdstreamthe3rdstream 1,980 Posts

"NEVER GONNA DO WITHOUT THE FEZ ON!!!!!"

Great album, GREAT fucking album. Highly underrated as far as I'm concerned. I love the build up up to and including the line "I've been mistaken", that anticipation. Shit. Classic Records pressed this up not only as one of those 180g audiophile pressings, but also as a 4x12" 45rpm set.

Good album. The remastered CD has some extra tracks not on the original, which are very good too.

I've been saying this for 15 years, but Universal needs to do a Rare Earth Records box set. Big ass orange box. I have the quad mix of the Get Ready[/b] album as a DTS CD, which I'd like to hear once I have a proper DTS setup.

I still have to pick up the new one.

Dudes try to sleep, but the title song alone is worth 1,000 pennies:

"I Feel Sanctified" is worth 1000 pennies and at least 40 nickels.

yes indeed, this is dope record!

Is it him or is it me?

Well, a song that makes it onto the "Best of" James Ingram and Michael McDonald albums can't be half bad, can it? What was the deal with James and the white collaborators (Patti Austin, Linda Rondstadt, etc.?)

Seriously, I always thought Billy Ocean was a lot more sincere than James...(His output was not limited to Caribbean Queen, for those of you not in the "know")

I just realized something. That's a photo of Jeffrey "can you wu wu wu" Osborne, not James "ooh hooo hoooo" Ingram.

I just realized something. That's a photo of Jeffrey "can you wu wu wu" Osborne, not James "ooh hooo hoooo" Ingram.

Hahahaha!

• funky16cornersfunky16corners 7,175 Posts

Is it him or is it me?

I'm not 100% positive, but I'm pretty sure Patti Austin isn't white...

Is it him or is it me?

I'm not 100% positive, but I'm pretty sure Patti Austin isn't white...

Hahaha again!

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I've been saying this for 15 years, but Universal needs to do a Rare Earth Records box set. Big ass orange box.

I seem to recall Motown had a 2-CD set about ten years ago, detailing their entire Motown history from Genesis to Amen. From roughly '69 to '79. Comprehensive liner notes, too (a good thing, considering that most Motown books regard them as footnotes).

Hahahaha!

I don't know if Osborne singing "Ya Mo B There" would've came out right. Maybe, maybe not.

Is it him or is it me?

Well, a song that makes it onto the "Best of" James Ingram and Michael McDonald albums can't be half bad, can it?

Well, I wasn't thinking so much in terms of quality as wondering whether it'd be considered a James Ingram tune or a Mike Mack tune.

Either way, I'm recusing myself from this whole shit, as I've just realized that I not only confused James Ingram with Philip Bailey, but compounded the error by posting a picture of Jeffrey Osborne. Say goodnight, james.

Shake You Down

Either way, I'm recusing myself from this whole shit, as I've just realized that I not only confused James Ingram with Philip Bailey, but compounded the error by posting a picture of Jeffrey Osborne. Say goodnight, james.

"They don't all look alike, James..."

At least you didn't mistake Patti Austin for a white woman!

I've been saying this for 15 years, but Universal needs to do a Rare Earth Records box set. Big ass orange box.

I seem to recall Motown had a 2-CD set about ten years ago, detailing their entire Motown history from Genesis to Amen. From roughly '69 to '79. Comprehensive liner notes, too (a good thing, considering that most Motown books regard them as footnotes).

The group or the label? I would expect for them to do a Rare Earth comp, but one for the label as well?