Speaking of The Roots

12346»

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    The Roots were a big part of making that unplugged album a success. Remember when LL tried to do the same? You probably don't, cause it was a huge bust and the only thing memorable was LL's decision to opt for white roll on deodarant instead of clear.

Oh hell naw, dude. I do remember the LL thing because it was HUGE at the time... crazy successful and nobody really expected that (even though LL was riding a whole new wave of popularity at the time)... they even had follow-up interviews with the band and LL where they were all just said they couldn't believe how well things came togther...

You don't recall the Jay-Z album being a similarly massive success?

Honestly, the best thing about that release was the bonus cut, "People Talking," which the Roots had nothing to do with.

Don't Say Nothin' (mainly for the beat--thanks, Storchavelli!)

I despise that record.

Typical effort by a group lacking major appeal to try to establish that "we could do it like those other guys, we just don't want to, but we're going to this once, just to show you."

Um, no you can't. It depressed me to listen to.

• The Roots were a big part of making that unplugged album a success. Remember when LL tried to do the same? You probably don't, cause it was a huge bust and the only thing memorable was LL's decision to opt for white roll on deodarant instead of clear.

Oh hell naw, dude. I do remember the LL thing because it was HUGE at the time... crazy successful and nobody really expected that (even though LL was riding a whole new wave of popularity at the time)... they even had follow-up interviews with the band and LL where they were all just said they couldn't believe how well things came togther...

mtv was so thrilled that they decided not to release an album for it.

• Don't Say Nothin' (mainly for the beat--thanks, Storchavelli!)

I despise that record.

Typical effort by a group lacking major appeal to try to establish that "we could do it like those other guys, we just don't want to, but we're going to this once, just to show you."

Don't front--I heard you mumblin' the hook.

While wearing sandals.

• Um, no you can't. It depressed me to listen to.

DAMN, BITCH, I DONE BROKE MY HEEL!

Magic City Monday night be too real!

Pin-Ups Tuesday night be too real!

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    well part of the problem may be that Brother ? assumes he knows more about music than he does, woefully and consistently misleading the group in the wrong musical direction. Dude really needs to check himself. Please all the discord within the group can't help the creative environment; as read in many interviews, most members can't stand eachother and ? controls everything.

I'm glad somebody just came right out and said it because it damn sure needs to be said.

By the way, Thes, did you catch the PUTS shoutout in The Onion AV Club this week?

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Roots songs I still really like a lot[/b]:

You Got Me

Everything else to me is just alright, a lot of it reallly grates (the Seed, ugh, unbelievably bad)

But I would still happily see them live if you are treating, or seats were $10 under and I had the next day off work.

But I would still happily see them live if you are treating

Ross is married and so are you.

Shame!

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    5 pages and nearing...

I'm a big Roots fan, will check for every album and release just cuz I dig their music and put Things Fall Apart as the last album of theirs that was good. Phren and Tipping Pt had a couple songs I dug and beyond that was just

Their shows are cool (to me) but I don't go see them everytime they're out here (LA or SoCal for that matter). I don't go see any group that much cuz it does get old if you something repeatedly. Black Thought as an MC = ok. I think dude has got potential but limits himself for whatever reason or because he is just so so. The music is where I disagree, people hate on dudes cuz their music is "too weird" or "changes too much," which to me means didn't meet up to your expectations - doesn't mean its wack tho. And fuck that, I can't stand artists who stick to formulas and keep doin the same shit over and over (remember I'm talking music not live shows here). It all gets tiring, but then again I did like the Love Movement, Electric Circus and LabCabinCalifornia...

• I friend of mine used to work at the Wachovia center when it was still the FU center. He did the credit card application shit, and he ran into brother ? at a sixers game. He told him he was a fan and ? asked him what he thought about Phrenology (this was around the time it had just come out) my shocked but then they started talking about the album and what stuff he did and didn't like. He said they talked for about 10 minutes about the record and other music and that ? was really cool about it.

• CahootsCahoots 378 Posts
    -

• In 98 the roots put on an unnanounced show in PGH, first come first serve that was pretty amazing. I saw them in Baltimore at Johns Hopkins auditorium for free in 2003, when that guitar dude came out playing Guns and Roses I quietly left the room.

• SLurgSLurg 446 Posts
    Faux:

Please to define: "fanboy hip-hop"?

Uninspired rap made by people who are more motivated by a desire to be just like their favorite acts than by any sort of real creative spark.

I know you know what I'm talking about.
    So you don't like Game, do you ?

Faux:

Please to define: "fanboy hip-hop"?

Uninspired rap made by people who are more motivated by a desire to be just like their favorite acts than by any sort of real creative spark.

I know you know what I'm talking about.
    So you don't like Game, do you ?

Not really. Is this your idea of card-pulling?

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    What MC or rapgroup is not a fanboy?

• SLurgSLurg 446 Posts
    Let's be real, the trend in hip-hop (both mainstream and hipsters) is for for club bangers.

Please to explain: when has hip-hop NOT been about club bangers? Did I miss rap's folk ballad years?

You missed a few thousands 12" from New-York that were designed to be heard through headphones, or those west coast that were specifically made for the car stereo. We're talking about half of what has been released between 1991 and 1999.
    Would you describe Shook Ones, Mind's Playing Tricks On Me or Let Me Ride as club bangers ?

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    WANKERS.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts

Don't Say Nothin' (mainly for the beat--thanks, Storchavelli!)

I despise that record.

they killed this approach on "what they do"

and "don't say nuthin'" isn't bad. for some reason i always think of superagent ari rolling up to the malibu beach house when i hear it. anyway, i think storch dropped a nice beat.

tipping point is a solid ablum

star/intro
    i don't care (minus the lady)
    don't say nuthin
    guns are drawn
    stay cool
    web

6 of the 10 songs range from solid to dope.

beyond all that, there aren't many other rappers that have been coming out with enjoyable music and staying relevant since '93.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Let's be real, the trend in hip-hop (both mainstream and hipsters) is for for club bangers.

Please to explain: when has hip-hop NOT been about club bangers? Did I miss rap's folk ballad years?

You missed a few thousands 12" from New-York that were designed to be heard through headphones, or those west coast that were specifically made for the car stereo. We're talking about half of what has been released between 1991 and 1999.
    Would you describe Shook Ones, Mind's Playing Tricks On Me or Let Me Ride as club bangers ?

YES................all three songs got regular burn in the clubs when they came out.

• KaushikKaushik 320 Posts
    Re: all the criticisms posted here, I think it's just symptomatic of what an ultra talented group like the Roots is used to hearing when they've reached the level they have. How many of us here have won a Grammy? With success comes a lot of nitpicking and potshots, and I was surprised to see that kind of negativity in some of the posts.

It's unrealistic to expect that an artist is going to be consistently good or to stick to the same sound. Things change and evolve and I don't think the Roots are cynically trying to do their own take on whatever's hot right now on the radio. Way beyond that though, these are seriously talented guys, no doubt, and you can't question that for a minute.

• Mind's Playing Tricks On Me
    CLUB BANGER

Re: all the criticisms posted here, I think it's just symptomatic of what an ultra talented group like the Roots is used to hearing when they've reached the level they have. How many of us here have won a Grammy? With success comes a lot of nitpicking and potshots, and I was surprised to see that kind of negativity in some of the posts.

It's unrealistic to expect that an artist is going to be consistently good or to stick to the same sound. Things change and evolve and I don't think the Roots are cynically trying to do their own take on whatever's hot right now on the radio. Way beyond that though, these are seriously talented guys, no doubt, and you can't question that for a minute.

Take that schitt to www.okayplayer.com, son...

• KaushikKaushik 320 Posts
    come on man, i'm no okayplayer and i can see the roots have faults like any other band. my point is that you have to respect them for their talent even if some of their shows and albums are uneven. what i say would apply to any artist that's had some degree of success. and btw i haven't been on okayplayer in like 3 years, the regulars there are DIE HARD roots fans, it's kinda scary.

• its all time and place. now The Roots are not as relevent as they once were. yes they appealed and still appeal to college crowds but so does three 6 Mafia, Dipset, Bun B, Chamillionarie, Paul Wall, UGK. I look at the pix from Devin the Dude in NYC and he is playing for more white people than the roots do

It's interesting to note that the same guy who wrote the essay on Things Fall Apart in O-Dub's book is now Music Editor at the Fader which is sort of at the vanguard of hipster Dipset/Swishahouse appreciation.

• what i say would apply to any artist that's had some degree of success.

That's funny, most folks on these forums don't give "successful" artists much respect at all.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    what i say would apply to any artist that's had some degree of success.

That's funny, most folks on these forums don't give "successful" artists much respect at all.