Speaking of The Roots

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Faux, do you own Illadelph Halflife?

TheMack, I'm ten years older than you, so don't even try to take it there with me.

I bought Illadelph Halflife back when it came out.

Matter of fact, I bought Organix when it came out.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts

this song sucks ass.....pretty much like Tipping Point did

and i'm a Roots fan ...

carry on

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

TheMack, I'm ten years older than you, so don't even try to take it there with me.

Original or reissue?

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

Original or reissue?

Wasn't the OG really a bootleg? German or UK pressing. It was a white jacket with the sticker across the top. I'm pretty sure I saw that before the black rls cover.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    I really don't think that they are--to me, both acts make uninspired fanboy hip-hop.

Faux I can`t live with this. Your definition of fanboy hiphop could fall on lil bro (hence there name) still no excuse to diss them, but not on the roots.

But man no matter how much your not feeling the roots they have to be respected. They are a good band that came up in the philedelphia scene have made consistent records. Don`t like them fine.Don`t diss blantantly.

seriously, man think about it.. people wild out dissing southern rappers for their flow. I might not like some but I respect what they do or at least say nothing

Ask a rapper to diss the MC skills of Black thought, no one can front...
    flow, rhymes, delivery

I am out

Haha... dude, your argument amounts to "I find it very upsetting that you don't like the Roots"

Is this supposed to resonate with me?

Straight up, here it comes: the Roots are a boring footnote. Live with it.

footnote? maybe in your private mind garden... I think Jay performing with them, and signing them and their non-stop touring easily lifted them above footnote status. Your blind hatred is just dumb at this point.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

A test: name five truly classic or compelling Roots songs.

it's all the ones with malik b on them.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    why did i read all this?

why did i read all this?

Day - we're trying to get to five pages mang. Every post helps.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    why did i read all this?

It's truly sad how much I've actually been tracking this - 5 Pages or Bust!

• I agree with day.. I just wasted 10 minutes listening to some haters argue with a bunch of people who aren't so hasty to hate.

Maybe they need Scott Storch to rejoin the group to make Faux happy? Just a thought.

Carry On.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    why did i read all this?

It's truly sad how much I've actually been tracking this - 5 Pages or Bust!!

I agree with day.. I just wasted 10 minutes listening to some haters argue with a bunch of people who aren't so hasty to hate.

Maybe they need Scott Storch to rejoin the group to make Faux happy? Just a thought.

Carry On.

He already did that, dropped a beat that sounded like the "Knight Rider" theme. The single went wood.

I'm still eager to hear "Game Theory" however. I didn't think "Tipping Point" was actually all that weak ass on second thought. It had some great moments. And some really, really bad ones too and the latter pretty much erased my fond memories of the former.

• well part of the problem may be that Brother ? assumes he knows more about music than he does, woefully and consistently misleading the group in the wrong musical direction. Dude really needs to check himself. Please all the discord within the group can't help the creative environment; as read in many interviews, most members can't stand eachother and ? controls everything.

I'm still mad at the roots because their album came out and Large Pro "The Album" never did on Geffen. bastards. PLus whats up with reciting the same crappy verse three times on the same song? hmmm.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

PLus whats up with reciting the same crappy verse three times on the same song? hmmm.

What do you expect? It was a lazy afternoon! Write one verse...BOOM!...It's naptime.

Herm

well part of the problem may be that Brother ? assumes he knows more about music than he does, woefully and consistently misleading the group in the wrong musical direction. Dude really needs to check himself. Please all the discord within the group can't help the creative environment; as read in many interviews, most members can't stand eachother and ? controls everything.

I'm still mad at the roots because their album came out and Large Pro "The Album" never did on Geffen. bastards. PLus whats up with reciting the same crappy verse three times on the same song? hmmm.

Word.

Thes - did you really like the LP LP though? I thought it had maybe one or two really kick ass songs, but I was surprised at how "eh" the rest of it sounded. Maybe my expectatoins had been set too high...or maybe the bootleg just took too long to come out (i.e. hip-hop had changed too much by that point) but I would have thought LP would have come with some iller shit. "For My People" though? MY JOINT.

• hahaha... mustabeen the same laxy afternoon they looped that inell young up...

http://www.funk45.com/Index.asp?funk=music&search=1951&cat=id

i reiterate.. whoever made this beat is a loser.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    hahaha... mustabeen the same laxy afternoon they looped that inell young up...

http://www.funk45.com/Index.asp?funk=music&search=1951&cat=id

i reiterate.. whoever made this beat is a loser.

Does that mean I'm a loser for liking the song? I'm a sucker for rhymes over straight loops with no additives or preservatives!

Herm

• well part of the problem may be that Brother ? assumes he knows more about music than he does, woefully and consistently misleading the group in the wrong musical direction. Dude really needs to check himself. Please all the discord within the group can't help the creative environment; as read in many interviews, most members can't stand eachother and ? controls everything.

Word.

Thes - did you really like the LP LP though? I thought it had maybe one or two really kick ass songs, but I was surprised at how "eh" the rest of it sounded. Maybe my expectatoins had been set too high...or maybe the bootleg just took too long to come out (i.e. hip-hop had changed too much by that point) but I would have thought LP would have come with some iller shit. "For My People" though? MY JOINT.

by the time I really got a chance to know this record all it took for me was one joint though.. .and have fun? man I feel it on the left side just below my shoulder. huh. No the record is not alll that but i mean, i think had it dropped or even leaked around the time it was current it had definite ahead of its time moments. Large Pro was probably a little to tipsy through this joint though.., talent doesn't always overcom laziness - the number one killer of young rap men.

Damn, that's a nice OG. The prices on it are .

$543?

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    all about the beats on that one.... sunrise and queens lounge. i could listen to those two an entire day.

• Damn, that's a nice OG. The prices on it are .

$543?

ummmm...

raer or not, that beat is still weak.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    LIVE Shows = DOUG E. FRESH....................................Muthafuckas!

ROOTS = OK, U gotta respect their run. They were never my cup of tea, but they did help fuel the "NeoSoul" shit that i do like.

Just my 3 cents.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I really don't think that they are--to me, both acts make uninspired fanboy hip-hop.

Faux I can`t live with this. Your definition of fanboy hiphop could fall on lil bro (hence there name) still no excuse to diss them, but not on the roots.

But man no matter how much your not feeling the roots they have to be respected. They are a good band that came up in the philedelphia scene have made consistent records. Don`t like them fine.Don`t diss blantantly.

seriously, man think about it.. people wild out dissing southern rappers for their flow. I might not like some but I respect what they do or at least say nothing

flow, rhymes, delivery

I am out

Haha... dude, your argument amounts to "I find it very upsetting that you don't like the Roots"

footnote? maybe in your private mind garden... I think Jay performing with them, and signing them and their non-stop touring easily lifted them above footnote status. Your blind hatred is just dumb at this point.

Hilarious--Jay calling on them when he needs a live backing band is an achievement about equivalent to being his soundman or studio engineer of choice. Shout to Young Guru.

• I really don't think that they are--to me, both acts make uninspired fanboy hip-hop.

flow, rhymes, delivery

I am out

Hilarious--Jay calling on them when he needs a live backing band is an achievement about equivalent to being his soundman or studio engineer of choice. Shout to Young Guru.

The Roots were a big part of making that unplugged album a success. Remember when LL tried to do the same? You probably don't, cause it was a huge bust and the only thing memorable was LL's decision to opt for white roll on deodarant instead of clear. My favorite song off Jay's unplugged album is "Heart in the City", and its not because of Jay...Jaguar made that track.

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    Funny to see so many people getting so up in arms about what is clearly a middle-of-the-road rap group. I don't think they're as downright "boring" as faux claims (though I haven't really cared about them since Illadel Halflife, which I do think has some really good moments), nor do I think they're all that "important" to rap music in general.

In other words: why so much blah blah blah?

-e

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

-e

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts

5 pager? IMO everyone has good points here...on that note: good hiphopshows have indeed become a rare thing (or maybe it was the same back then?). But it is all about at what time of your life you have seen an artist. I wouldn't deny that now a 19year old would enjoy a beastie boys show the same way I did back in 92. Even when artists progress or you as person in the know of their music "age" with them, they still might be able to transmit that energy you once felt to younger ones at live shows. Growing up and gettin experienced can limit your ability to actually enjoy things with some sort of a healthy naivety. It's all about expectations and your current state of being when enjoying liveshows. As Young Phonics said, you might come to a point where you are just more concerned about the line at the bar; you just get older, so it might be harder to keep that energy. You could even disconnect like ODub thought about... Hell, blame myself, I went to Lyrics Born in Berlin two days ago - and although I like some of his songs and play them as well in my sets, I thought it would be eh - but dude rocked it and Mike Relm was killin it with Videoscratchin'. That was a dope show that I enjoyed! I've never seen the Roots though. and I agree, Black Thought is not the greatest rapper, but ok in my book. my 2.

Dojah

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    The Roots were a big part of making that unplugged album a success. Remember when LL tried to do the same? You probably don't, cause it was a huge bust and the only thing memorable was LL's decision to opt for white roll on deodarant instead of clear.

Oh hell naw, dude. I do remember the LL thing because it was HUGE at the time... crazy successful and nobody really expected that (even though LL was riding a whole new wave of popularity at the time)... they even had follow-up interviews with the band and LL where they were all just said they couldn't believe how well things came togther...

• Okay, in the interest of getting this thing to 5 pages, I'll weigh in.

I own several Roots records and very much enjoyed their live show in 1994.

As time went on and I caught them a few more times, the schtick got old.

You know that weird painting with all the Rohrschach-looking splotches on it that really has a picture of Jesus in the middle? And how, once you "see Jesus," it's all you can ever see? That's kinda how I feel about Black Thought. No, I don't think he's hip-hop's saviour, you jackasses. It's just that, once you realize his flow kinda sucks, it retroactively affects their entire catalog.

Roots songs I still kinda like:

The Seed
    Don't Say Nothin' (mainly for the beat--thanks, Storchavelli!)
    Um...what else? Oh, I like "Guns Are Drawn"

That's about it. There are approximately one million other groups I'd rather hear/see.

I find it hard to believe that so many people can get so goddamned worked up over these guys.

Are we on page 5 yet?