REST IN PEACE 2ND AVENUE DELI

2»

Comments

• honestly, if we can get some real talk on pastrami game, Katz's will continue to own that, and, truth be told, 2nd ave's $17.95-for-a-tongue-sannich pricing was a tad outlandish, but this my friends, is neither here nor there, and it will all be a moot fucking point when next year a Quizno's stands in that spot and you stare down at your SouthwestChipotleRanchChickenToastee??? that is now soaked with your own tears but somehow no less edible, and think "how did we get here from there?"

Poetry!

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    that place was always packed. i dont get it. if any spot in ev should be grandfathered in, i mean, thats the one.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    honestly, if we can get some real talk on pastrami game, Katz's will continue to own that
    Word, I was always a Katz's diehard anyway (thick cut meats is where its at), but still, def another NY institution bites the dust. Rest in peace old new york...

• (thick cut meats is where its at)

ayo...[/b]

• Man, fuck that place. Im not denying the food.

Quick story:
    About two years ago, my girl and I are truding around in febuary looking for apartments. Its freezing cold and off in the distance the second ave deli appears like an oasis. Oh g-d yes, matzah ball soup. The place is about a third filled. We both order matzah ball soup and a coke which brings our order to about twenty dollars. We are immediately informed that we cant order only soup at the table and will have to take our food to go. Matzah ball soup fills me up, who needs more shit? I refuse and say that the place is empty, but Im kicked out. Never been back. One of the best delis in the world, but the most terrible fuck you service. Fuck that place.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    I think they stopped making Cel Ray soda. Which is too bad, cause it was the best.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    so where else do you get a good pastrami sandwich in the 5 boros?

Katz's

Jay & Lloyd's way out in brooklyn (Ave U, ride the Cyclone while you're out there) is great, but like most delis in BK, the service sucks.

anyone?

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    feck...what's next..the bereket?

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    odub, you been to lenger's on 7th and alvarado? right across the st. from macarthur park. best pastrami on the west coast.

Unreal pastrami - no doubt. But - it DOES have contest on the west coast. Brent's in Northridge (of all places). Place is NOOOOOO JOKE.

Liquor is steady hittin cement out here though for 2nd Ave Deli. Twas the first deli I ever went to in NY. That's a big deal for a jew. Anyplace where the waitresses steady give you shit for not ordering your tongue and corn beef on rye bread is a fine establishment in my eye.

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    Man, fuck that place. Im not denying the food.

Quick story:
    About two years ago, my girl and I are truding around in febuary looking for apartments. Its freezing cold and off in the distance the second ave deli appears like an oasis. Oh g-d yes, matzah ball soup. The place is about a third filled. We both order matzah ball soup and a coke which brings our order to about twenty dollars. We are immediately informed that we cant order only soup at the table and will have to take our food to go. Matzah ball soup fills me up, who needs more shit? I refuse and say that the place is empty, but Im kicked out. Never been back. One of the best delis in the world, but the most terrible fuck you service. Fuck that place.

you diss 2nd Ave Deli you diss yourself.

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    As a deli worker, this saddens me.

• Man, I was born and raised in NYC and hell, I'm gonna miss 2nd Ave Deli but I have to echo some of the complaints about the prices. Compared to the reasonable price you'll pay at Katz's I basically stopped going to 2nd Ave. Plus, it seems like drbrowncelray might be more of a Pastrami connoiseur, but when I can get a better sandwich at Katz's (plus the hotdogs are underrated) and then fill up on Yonah Schimmel right down the block, I mean, is there any question where I was gonna spend my money?

Also, although it's sad to see things change, I've managed to find about three new great food places for every "institution" that's had to close due to rent. Keep in mind, those big chains like Quizno's and Chipotle's close real quick too.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    I really thought it was a bargaining tactic at first when I read about it in nytimes, but alas.....

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/05/nyregion/05deli.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/06/nyregion/06deli.html

There's no doubt in my mind Katz reigns supreme in the taste department, but 2nd ave's kosherness is the reason for this. Both places are legendary, but are pantheons of a time gone by. It's really a shame watching institutions like this fade away. There're really no substitutes, carnegie deli is so not it.....

"I'll be the pourer, you'll be richer"

ps: don't forget to tip the dudes at katz who make your sammich. Also ask for a fatty cut.........

• I really thought it was a bargaining tactic at first when I read about it in nytimes, but alas.....

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/05/nyregion/05deli.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/06/nyregion/06deli.html

There's no doubt in my mind Katz reigns supreme in the taste department, but 2nd ave's kosherness is the reason for this. Both places are legendary, but are pantheons of a time gone by. It's really a shame watching institutions like this fade away. There're really no substitutes, carnegie deli is so not it.....

"I'll be the pourer, you'll be richer"

ps: don't forget to tip the dudes at katz who make your sammich. Also ask for a fatty cut.........

What I think everyone here is missing is that 2nd Ave served a zillion things other than pastrami (the Katz pastrami is clearly inferior, kosher meat can never have that same zest). the matzoh ball soup MURDERS the soup at Katz's, dope schnitzel, kugel, slamming health salad, matzoh brie and all that...B&H dairy here I come

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    honestly, if we can get some real talk on pastrami game, Katz's will continue to own that, and, truth be told, 2nd ave's $17.95-for-a-tongue-sannich pricing was a tad outlandish, but this my friends, is neither here nor there, and it will all be a moot fucking point when next year a Quizno's stands in that spot and you stare down at your SouthwestChipotleRanchChickenToastee??? that is now soaked with your own tears but somehow no less edible, and think "how did we get here from there?"

When a place like this closes it's always very sad, but if Odub and the NYT are correct in reporting that the deli was selling a tongue sandwich for $17.95 then I'm both seriously amused and appalled. That's beyond ludicrous! Tongue is a cheap cut; that's why the alter kackers who began delis like this ate it. You can complain all you want about gentrification, but as soon as you're paying more than five bucks for a tongue sandwich it seems to me like it's a lost cause. I also have to mention that the equally overpriced food at Katz's was vastly inferior to the much cheaper and equally authentic food at Schwartz's in Montreal. Even Yitz's in Toronto made a better pastrami sandwich at a fraction of the cost. You New Yorkers and your 'delis' are meshuga.

PS According to the NYT, the deli agreed to the rent increase years ago.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Just to reiterate since I think this got lost in my previous comments but I'm SAD TO SEE 2ND AVE GO, regardless of my comments about the food/prices/whatever. For as much as we all go rah-rah for change, there's something to be said for tradition and having things around that multiple generations of people can associate with a sense of place and neighborhood. (In other words, home). I never lived in NYC full-time but like I said, I see 2nd Ave almost every day when I'm visiting NY and I always found a certain comfort in knowing that it was there.

Now all I'll see is going to be that fucking Stomp marquee. Ugh.

• Schwartz's in Montreal

hi Danno.

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    I had some okay breakfasts at B+H Dairy, I never messed with 2nd Ave that often because I was a vegetarian when I was living in NYC (I'm now a fishetarian), but my fave deli was always Veselka for 1. their veggie pate and 2. their sweet potato perogies- I miss that place like crazy. Go ahead, call me a hipster

• They took the signs down yesterday and started emptying the place out. Another New York institution ruined by the fauxhemianisation of the East Village. First place I ever drank Dr Brown's Cel-Ray Soda. Just one more reason why I barely even recognize NY anymore.

Just as long as Guss' Pickles doesn't get pushed out of the LES everything will be okay. 2nd Ave Deli threw them a lot of business, so I hope that doesn't sink them.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    guss pickles + il laboratorio + kossar's

a good combination......

• Veselka

Not hip, and not the true...

I don't know how long ago you were there Anna, but this place has been NYU student tour trap for a while now, starbucks across the street, skimp portions, high prices... for pierogi I fucks with Neptune on 12th/1st Ave.

And people with the sideways half-disses of 2nd Ave just need to cruise away son. The only reason you would even walk in there thinking you were eating a cheap meal or getting the best pastrami was if you were a cot damn TOUREST yourself... this place was an institution, been around since my dad's days in NY and if you can't respect that your whole perspective is wack. Yeah, dude agreed to rent increases in his lease if any of you have ever negotiated a commercial lease in your life you'd know that's part of the game doesn't mean you have to like it. Lastly Dan maybe if Montreal was New York City prices would be different, think about the overhead dude is dealing with then again people in New York don't wear neon orange ski pants and wraparound sunglasses

• then again people in New York don't wear neon orange ski pants and wraparound sunglasses

haha... is this really happening in Montreal? That's hilarious.
    Pics anyone?

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    then again people in New York don't wear neon orange ski pants and wraparound sunglasses

zingalamaduni!

danno - the debate between schwartz vs katz vs 2nd ave rages on endlessly via egullet/chowhound. Let's just say all 3 places are on point, each w/ their own specialty. Schwartz = smoked meat, katz = pastrami, 2nd ave = matzoh ball soup.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    haha... is this really happening in Montreal? That's hilarious.
    Pics anyone?

see vice do's & don'ts