REST IN PEACE 2ND AVENUE DELI

drbrownscelraydrbrownscelray 648 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
They took the signs down yesterday and started emptying the place out. Another New York institution ruined by the fauxhemianisation of the East Village. First place I ever drank Dr Brown's Cel-Ray Soda. Just one more reason why I barely even recognize NY anymore.

Comments

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    You're fucking kidding me.

This is the worst thing I've ever heard.

I always send my dad their shit via mail-order every holiday.

I'm going to go cry now.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    aw man. RIP

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    DAMN!!!!!! Did they really close? I'll be in NYC this summer and was planning on eating there. Sad news folls. Why did they close? The place was always full of people when I ate there in the past.

• You're fucking kidding me.

This is the worst thing I've ever heard.

I always send my dad their shit via mail-order every holiday.

I'm going to go cry now.

Not gonna lie, I seriously shed a couple of tears man. Been going there since I was born. Used to sit on Abe's lap when I was a tyke (R.I.P.). Can't wait to see the Starbucks or North Fork Bank that goes up in its place.

• DAMN!!!!!! Did they really close? I'll be in NYC this summer and was planning on eating there. Sad news folls. Why did they close? The place was always full of people when I ate there in the past.

New rent is I think $38,000 per month. Dude was offered a "gracious" $3000 per month reduction.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    I barely even recognize NY anymore.

Cosign, and I've only lived here since 98. The other day I was thinking about how every bar and restaurant in the E Village now has french doors and a patio. Couldn't do that shit a few years ago, now it's just a Mickey Mouse city.

• They're not closing until next week I thought? Did they just take the sign down, or is the restaurant closed too? I need my last dose of corn beef!!!
    First and only place I've had matzoh ball soup, will be missed.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    DAMN!!!!!! Did they really close? I'll be in NYC this summer and was planning on eating there. Sad news folls. Why did they close? The place was always full of people when I ate there in the past.

New rent is I think $38,000 per month. Dude was offered a "gracious" $3000 per month reduction.

Damn. $38,000 a month! That magpie dude could get a nice apartment in Tokyo for THAT kind of money.

• as a lover of good food, i gotta say damn. rest in peace 2nd ave deli.

• Dude said he has no plans to reopen for one last day. I was ready to camp out outside for one last dose of health salad and matzoh ball soup. Spliff man, you're right on the money, it's 8zillion cutesy cafes now for yuppie retards. I was sad enough when Rectangles disappeared, but this is too much to bear.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    It's funny because I'm almost always in the East Village when I'm out in NYC; been like that for ten years now and back in the summer of 2000, I was staying out on E9th and 1st for a few weeks so I'd walk by 2nd Ave Deli all the time but never ate there. Finally, this past Thanksgiving, I rolled through. Got the pastrami.

No disrespect but as far as pastrami sandwiches go, it was kind of especially given the price. That said, I'm sorry to hear it's going too; that block won't be same without it.

• No disrespect but as far as pastrami sandwiches go, it was kind of especially given the price.

yo you just played yourself

• Damn! I first went there in the early 80's (when the East Village was actually edgy) and used to eat there at least once or twice a year ever since. Now if I could just convince them to move to DC where a good deli could make bank!

No disrespect but as far as pastrami sandwiches go, it was kind of especially given the price.

I think not. I'm sorry but the hot pas there is just not to me.

But hey, I like soul AND funk so it can't be too bad.

• odub, you been to lenger's on 7th and alvarado? right across the st. from macarthur park. best pastrami on the west coast.

odub, you been to lenger's on 7th and alvarado? right across the st. from macarthur park. best pastrami on the west coast.

I'll have to peep that once I'm moved down there (yeah batches, we're going to Long Beach by this fall).

My favorite joint was always The Hat out in Pasadena/San Gabriel. Heart attack on a bun but shit was nice.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    This is like the second worst news I've had to deal with in 24 hours. Man, I used to live off the half sammich & soup back in teh day.

• No disrespect but as far as pastrami sandwiches go, it was kind of especially given the price.

I think not. I'm sorry but the hot pas there is just not to me.

But hey, I like soul AND funk so it can't be too bad.

Actually, the pastrami there was a little tamed by the kashrut observance of the place. Still, it was in the top 4 I've ever had. Not for nothing Oliver, how about just shutting up instead of coming into this thread and throwing a little salt into the wounds? Seriously.

• whoa daddy. ok, youre gonna knock 2nd ave deli and big up the mufukin HAT?!?!?!

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Hi Zvi. Fuck a blog.

• Hi Cosmo! I was in your city yesterday. Me and young Kel drove down there for some Ishkabibbles. Top notch.

• CLabCLab 76 Posts
    rest in peace, abe. you will be missed.

i would kill for that signage.

• Always hit this place up when I am in nyc. Can any new yorkers recommend a substitute? I will be there in a few weekends, and right now I can only think of Katz's Deli as an alternative...but i'm not such a fan of their extra extra thick meat slicing technique.

• rest in peace, abe. you will be missed.

i would kill for that signage.

I drove by yesterday and I seent that dude.

• To echo Dr. Brown Katz always has had the better pastrami as long as I've been here (10 years). But when you diss 2nd Ave Deli you diss yourself.

• you diss 2nd Ave Deli you diss yourself.

you diss 2nd Ave Deli you diss yourself.

• Now if I could just convince them to move to DC where a good deli could make bank!

amen to that.

• CLabCLab 76 Posts
    honestly, if we can get some real talk on pastrami game, Katz's will continue to own that, and, truth be told, 2nd ave's $17.95-for-a-tongue-sannich pricing was a tad outlandish, but this my friends, is neither here nor there, and it will all be a moot fucking point when next year a Quizno's stands in that spot and you stare down at your SouthwestChipotleRanchChickenToastee??? that is now soaked with your own tears but somehow no less edible, and think "how did we get here from there?"

• honestly, if we can get some real talk on pastrami game, Katz's will continue to own that, and, truth be told, 2nd ave's $17.95-for-a-tongue-sannich pricing was a tad outlandish, but this my friends, is neither here nor there, and it will all be a moot fucking point when next year a Quizno's stands in that spot and you stare down at your SouthwestChipotleRanchChickenToastee??? that is now soaked with your own tears but somehow no less edible, and think "how did we get here from there?"

• 99Problems99Problems 1,541 Posts

Veklempt in Vermont.

Where will I eat between Academy and Sound Library visits?