Sampling the Dap Kings...hot or not?

2»

Comments

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    Yea, who cares if the track is rare, old or new. Hell if somebody makes a great track using a Barry Manilow sample more power to them. I like when people sample tracks in an innovative way. It's all about how you flip it.

Gee ! Thanks Mr. Marl !

Has Mr. Marl been quoting me again?

• i really can't believe people bother with the fucking dap kings
    it's like widespread panic with a little black woman
    and the exact same fanbase with a few hip-hop record nerds thrown in and so many khaki cargo shorts

so much good music being made these days. the appeal of a funk tribute / appropriation band (however technically competent) beyond something to eat potato skins and drink beer to in any local bar across anytown USA is completely beyond me

• 99Problems99Problems 1,541 Posts
    i really can't believe people bother with the fucking dap kings
    and the exact same fanbase with a few hip-hop record nerds thrown in and so many khaki cargo shorts

so much good music being made these days. the appeal of a funk tribute / appropriation band (however technically competent) beyond something to eat potato skins and drink beer to in any local bar across anytown USA is completely beyond me

Hipper Than Thou

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    Nobody seems to know. Think they're playing live but don't know anything about any new releases. (The 45 released recently was an old track.)

• HawkeyeHawkeye 896 Posts
    There was allways a tendency or if you want to call it that way, lazyness, to sample shit that came out brand new. Think of the UBB series which came out between 86 and 88. That sereis alone changed the whole sound of hiphop. Yes the songs where old, but the re-issue was brand new.

Think of songs like

Sugarhill Gang - Rappers Delight
    Brand Nubian - Slow Down
    Fugees - Ready or Not

If the music is nice, thats all that matters, not from which date the recording is.

• For the record I do not now and never have had any interest in or tolerance for the so-called 'acid jazz' records of the 90s

If you're referring to the greyboy track, that shit came out like a year or two ago...hardly 'early 90s'. And FWIW, there is some gemms to be had amongst the MANY overproduced acid jazz rekkids from back in the day. I still enjoy early United Future Organization, and one can argue that the Brand New Heavie's 'Heavy Rhyme Experience' is an 'acid jazz' rekkid of sorts. The 1st couple of James Taylor Quartet records that he put out on his own label are pretty slammin'. But to each his own.

As for the mofo comparing daptone to some midwest beer and pretzels revival soul showcase, y'all need to
    , and clean the earwax outta your ears. That version of 'This Land is Your Land' is about as hard hitting as any rusty dusty, and 'Stranded in your Love' with Lee Fields is one of the best soul ballads of any time or place.

$??

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    yeah but $?? is there any genre you don't like?

Dap 45s sound effing great. Sometimes the heavy vinyl they use for the LPs seems a bit like overkill for what comes out of the groove. What's a CD?

• i really can't believe people bother with the fucking dap kings

oh god, shut the fuck up and drink your PBR. Isn't there a DFA release you should be reviewing or something?

• yeah but $?? is there any genre you don't like?

ha. I do get into a lot of different tings. But you still have to be discerning. Every genre has their share of gemms among the piles and piles of bad rekkids. Also, you can't judge a genre based on the musical merits of another genre. I feel you have to 'get into' a music genre, hear enough of the dope records, the sound of it, and then you can fully understand and appreciate it.

If all you listen to is golden era hip hop or similar, you may not be open to some crunk hip hop. Cos its a really different vibe musically, so trying to compare them is apples/orangish. Same thing with old school reggae and modern dancehall. Disco and house.

Hearing the right records in the right context can definitely get you open to shit. I went to a lot of Jungle parties in the mid 90's, heard some really sick tracks, DJs killing it, people bugging the fuck out. Nowadaze a lot of folks are not down with this shit, so I can only bust it out a certain gigs. Yes there is a lot of shitty tracky wack ass DnB 12"s, but that doesn't mean the entire genre is shit. You just have to dig, and be open to it.

Anyways I digress. Enjoy the pretzels and beer.

$??

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    KANYE sampled a cake song from 2001 in 2003.

if its hot its hot.

im bout to sample the budos band, shit.

shit! I sample stuff that isn't even out yet.

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    I fucking love the DapKings, but they need to record their records like its 2006 not 1972... they might get more sample royalties that way...

I think thats what makes them so unique is that they got that old hard sound..

co sign

• JayGeeJayGee 313 Posts
    They're both great tracks so whats the problem!!??
    I'm surpirsed no one has done it before them.

AND I never heard anyone complaining bout Brand Nubians "Slow Down!