Lurker-Free Pre-Weekend and Weekend FINDS

BeardedDBeardedD 770 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central

Comments

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    what's the jazz record in the 2nd picture- top right.

looks cool.

send me ted lucas.

• d_wordd_word 666 Posts
    I don't get how this is "lurker free"?!

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    I don't get how this is "lurker free"?!

mista mista

• d_wordd_word 666 Posts
    Oh I get it.

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    word. chilly storage space redux:

cat stevens on deram??? blacklist is '84 metal attaque. wonder is upstate NY jazz local.

that 'california 99' thing is totally effing weird.

neu on billingsgate, stone circus on mainstream, vai 1st press, pf sorrow og,
    and the j.browns on king are, you know, good. choose this jpeg and win.

sorry this is so big but you cant read the labels otherwise.
    or maybe you still cant. crap.

this is all latin/mexican/? from about '76-'84.
    might be lame, but was too cheap to pass up.

happiest 45 score of the day, label shred notwithstanding.

• what's the jazz record in the 2nd picture- top right.

Skah Shah (which I'm just listening to now). It's Hatian distributed on Marc out of NYC, mid 70s. One interesting moody track called Concerto Pour Immaculee with some sort of very primative synth playing a sort of harpsichord line and rolling drums. The rest for me is... lacking in urgency.

• autezautez 404 Posts

is that jimmy haskell

• Man, that Mandala "Soul Crusade" is one of my top records for the moment. Love that "Faith" track, and "Every Single Day". Dope Organ action on there.

How's that Codona record?

Sweet finds, most definitely...

- J

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Scored some sweet dollar finds in interesting ways
    After a succesful loft party I had balling dough$ (by my standards)and hit up a somewhat unknown new record store. Great purchases Ahmad Jamal, Taj Mahal among others. But the dollar bins we're the great part.
    The guy had some of the records that use to be on his wall in the 1$ bins (score)
    Not crazy records but sweet for a buck

Basie Big Band

Oscar Peterson

Good classical and some george benson in there

And i hit up a spot I always wanted to: a subway convenience store/mini thrift

First time I saw it it had a lot more records than when I returned however I got
    a Leo ferre (who I had been actively collectioning) for a buck (with my favorite track anarchiste on it)

Bearded I just gave a spin to my copy of B*j**t
    Can't wait for that package, you will be happy as well

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    what's the jazz record in the 2nd picture- top right.

Skah Shah (which I'm just listening to now). It's Hatian distributed on Marc out of NYC, mid 70s. One interesting moody track called Concerto Pour Immaculee with some sort of very primative synth playing a sort of harpsichord line and rolling drums. The rest for me is... lacking in urgency.

huh, never seen that particular skah shah before.

i caught them live once in nyc. it was great.

their very early recordings are pretty good. one of the top compas groups.

but yes, like much of the stuff mid to late 70's is a drop off.

• CaMKIIaCaMKIIa 269 Posts

First time I saw it it had a lot more records than when I returned however I got
    a Leo ferre (who I had been actively collectioning) for a buck (with my favorite track anarchiste on it)

do you got the "amour anarchie" album? a++++++ highly reccomended.

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts

do you got the "amour anarchie" album? a++++++ highly reccomended.

I had that one. The songs he did with Zoo and that other band (moody blues?) were really good, but then those other one's were so bad I couldn't take it.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    i want that 1st borne. how is it?

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

• i want that 1st borne. how is it?

There's a couple decent little moments interspersed throughout some really dreadful chunks but it's a minor record really. I sold one for like $10 on ebay.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    Just got back from tha digspot.
    Mad heat on 45.

Not really, but a few nice ones, even a couple that are playoutable. I got 3 hrs to get some of it in the crate for tonight's spin.

No need to ask which KPM... let's just say I found it exactly 2 weeks too late for it to be useful. Ho ho ho.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    which 45 on don?

Leonne Thomas or Babalonia- marrero?

what's the LP- top right of the last photo?

these photos look slightly familiar- maybe not. give me the borough and i'll guess.

peace.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Just got back from tha digspot.
    Mad heat on 45.

Not really, but a few nice ones, even a couple that are playoutable. I got 3 hrs to get some of it in the crate for tonight's spin.

No need to ask which KPM... let's just say I found it exactly 2 weeks too late for it to be useful. Ho ho ho.
    Cot damn. Came up, huh? What's up w/ the Rev. Cleophus record?

which 45 on don?

these photos look slightly familiar- maybe not. give me the borough and i'll guess.

peace.

That's Leonne and I just spotted an ash burn that goes through both sides. 50c wasted.

The LP is a reggae/rocksteady easy listening thing on Moodisc 1972. Says "reggay for listening or reggaying" I like it. It's like Cal Tjader did a reggae LP.

The spot isn't really a spot, it's a flea vendor's lockup in the borough of Queens. People ... BE NICE TO FLEAMARKET VENDORS! I see how you talk about them on here, they are people too you know.

Bellcity, the Rev Robinson is bluesy-ish piano and geeetar stuff. Nice enough, but no reason to report to the hardest funkiest gospel thread.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    which 45 on don?

peace.

That's Leonne and I just spotted an ash burn that goes through both sides. 50c wasted.

The LP is a reggae/rocksteady easy listening thing on Moodisc 1972. Says "reggay for listening or reggaying" I like it. It's like Cal Tjader did a reggae LP.

The spot isn't really a spot, it's a flea vendor's lockup in the borough of Queens. People ... BE NICE TO FLEAMARKET VENDORS! I see how you talk about them on here, they are people too you know.

Bellcity, the Rev Robinson is bluesy-ish piano and geeetar stuff. Nice enough, but no reason to report to the hardest funkiest gospel thread.

right- gladstine anderson- moodies thing.
    let me know if you decide to let it go. don't have and haven't heard that one.

i am always nice to flea market vendors with the exception of the truly insane jamaican guy who used to set up at the Avenue A flea- he was very hard to be nice to.

• [the truly insane jamaican guy who used to set up at the Avenue A flea- he was very hard to be nice to.

Did get a Frankie Zhivago off him for a twomp though...

right- gladstine anderson- moodies thing.
    let me know if you decide to let it go. don't have and haven't heard that one.

I gotcha. It's got seam splits but we can talk.

i am always nice to flea market vendors with the exception of the truly insane jamaican guy who used to set up at the Avenue A flea- he was very hard to be nice to.

I'm not saying don't slide a few 45s in the gatefolds if they act like dicks! Anyway, you don't need no diggin tips mister.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts

I'm not saying don't slide a few 45s in the gatefolds if they act like dicks! Anyway, you don't need no diggin tips mister.

post your secret spots now

or you're soft.

post your secret spots now

or you're soft.

ZigZag is that you???! I was gonna do it when I leave NYC sometime in the next year (tentative). Until then, there's this U-Stor-It on the Belt Pkwy that's fulla heat! You see white vans driving in and out? Full of records

• Some from the first week of the year:

• ryanryan 334 Posts
    psych from korea and sweden (i think)

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts

is that jimmy haskell
    yep

How's that Codona record?
    nice mellow spiritual vibe, that stays away from boring - its warm, spooky, earthy. tabla, sitar, sanza, trumprt, flutes, voices, other odd instruments. 1979 ECM, collin walcott, don cherry, nana v.

---

MikeZero, nice ones with the johnny cash III (holler if your bored with it!), and the arthur lee, just found that one myself recently. also nice find on that orange one on ovation, the 2 dudes i forget their names.

• MikeZero, nice ones with the johnny cash III (holler if your bored with it!), and the arthur lee, just found that one myself recently. also nice find on that orange one on ovation, the 2 dudes i forget their names.

Yo, thanks karlo...nice to know I could come up with a few to compete with your sweet finds. Hollins & Starr is sounding real promising (have only had the time to peep the first track which was so nice!).

Also, nice finds BeardedD...I just found one of those Lavender Country albums too which has to be one of the more underrated albums from the private press world. Easily one of the best gay themed albums I've heard (which unfortunately isn't saying much).

• Hollins and Starr is rad. I knew when I saw Pokora list it as a "notable work of art" or whatever that designation is amongst the six star raers.

So far Lavender Country isn't rocking my world but I do think it would have made a terrific soundtrack to Brokeback Mountain. The Eve song is pretty rad -- anyone know if this is the same famous folk-psych Eve with her own record?