Big Youth appreciation thread

TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
This cat is so cool. There are few old school skankers as good as this dude. He is right up there with I roy and U roy.Too bad he's gone mental. I saw him live 2 years ago, and it sucked big time. His son did half the concert, playing some RnB hiphop shite.But still, appreciate batches!Cool Breeze

Comments

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts

I'm a fan. Earlier stuff is great. Later stuff fell off a little. Which is the case for so many artists.

• Actually I don't think U Roy or I Roy hold much of a candle to The Dude.

#1 DJ.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts

The original "gold & semi precious stones pon front teeth dj"

#1 DJ.

Big Youth does his thing, no doubt, but my fav. DJ record of all time has to be I-Roy's 'Tougher than Tough', which is him rapping over a dubbed out reggae cover of Isaac Hayes' 'Do Your Thing'. Derrick Harriot production.

Also, you can't really fuck with Dennis Alcapone's shit, especially on studio 1.

$??

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    Actually I don't think U Roy or I Roy hold much of a candle to The Dude.

#1 DJ.

You may be right when it comes to I roy. But U roy is a class of his own.

We should also mention Prince Far I.
    Coolest, darkest DJ there was.

#1 DJ.

Big Youth does his thing, no doubt, but my fav. DJ record of all time has to be I-Roy's 'Tougher than Tough', which is him rapping over a dubbed out reggae cover of Isaac Hayes' 'Do Your Thing'. Derrick Harriot production.

Also, you can't really fuck with Dennis Alcapone's shit, especially on studio 1.

$??

Word to Dennis Alcapone. I actually rate I-Roy above U-Roy, who really doesn't do much for me.

#1 DJ.

$??

Word to Dennis Alcapone. I actually rate I-Roy above U-Roy, who really doesn't do much for me.

Not my favorite either, but he was a major catalyst for whole DeeJay scene. Around the time he did the DJ version of the Paragons 'Wear you to the Ball', he owned the top 3 records on the charts for a month and a half. I dunno if even MJ did that back in the day.

$??

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    U roy shit i dig

"wake the town" and "waer you to the ball" are the classics, the first big DJ hits, no?

i def. agree that Big Youth is more consistant (well, until the late 70's when he starts trying to sing), but when U Roy is on, he's pretty fucking fire... "king tubby skank" is a great one... "drean inna babylon" is a fucking sick LP... me, my fav DJ LP is prolly Ital Corner by Prince Jazzbo...

• Oh yeah, I mean U-Roy was def one of the forefathers... Just saying though, he ain't fooling with the one Manley Buchanan at-tall. IMO of course...

• Without U-Roy, none of these other guys even exist.

But definitely massive respect to Big Youth. The Ites Gold and Green smile is

But the real question: Why did he change his name to "Jah Youth" a while back? I could see changing the "Youth" part, but....

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    no love for Charlie Ace or Scotty ?

Big Youth had a good early run,
    i rate U Roy produced by Prince Tony very high
    (check for his version over Owen Grey's "Turning Point" or Gladiators "Stick A Bush")
    but I Roy put out more hard stuff than the others
    i still need his "Jah See Them Come" with Johnny Clarke on weedbeat

• Without King Stitt, none of these other guys even exist.

right?

• Without Coxsone Dodd, none of these other guys even exist.

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    Without U-Roy, none of these other guys even exist.

But the real question: Why did he change his name to "Jah Youth" a while back? I could see changing the "Youth" part, but....

i've got an early-ish 70's us pressed single by "Jah Youth"
    going over Ronnie Davis "The World Is A Stage"
    not sure if it is before he went by Big, but it is an early one

• Without U-Roy, none of these other guys even exist.

i've got an early-ish 70's us pressed single by "Jah Youth"
    going over Ronnie Davis "The World Is A Stage"
    not sure if it is before he went by Big, but it is an early one

From the beginning of "Screaming Target"

"eah Jah Yout!"

"ites!"

"the man just sight the movie called Dirty Harry..."

• Options
    no love for Charlie Ace or Scotty ?

Big Youth had a good early run,

i rate U Roy produced by Prince Tony very high

(check for his version over Owen Grey's "Turning Point" or Gladiators "Stick A Bush")

i still need his "Jah See Them Come" with Johnny Clarke on weedbeat

U Roy produced by Prince Tony very high

NAtty Rebel

Presenting I Roy

Tim's right. TOughest shit ever recorded by a DJ is I roy's.

These aren't bad

Over "Satta Massagana".

Overall YOuth has more weak material than the other 'Roys.

Don't forget

K in Canada.

• no love for Charlie Ace or Scotty ?

I loves me some Scotty. This is over 'Solomon'. 'Skankin' in Bed' is also a classic.

And here's Rankin' Joe on the Shank I Shenk riddim, which is based on a Baba Brooks (skatalites) ska track, slowed down for the 70's. The Terry Ganzie dancehall thing I posted a minute ago is in the 90's update of this riddim, one of my favorites.

$??

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts

I got this album by Big Youth many years ago. Thank god I picked it up. It's the goods. Way better than Third World