Secret LP's

RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
Dealing in the Psych world for the last 25 years I witnessed the phenomena of "secret LP's". These are records that some of the heavier collectors own but they won't reveal any info about them, won't copy it for anyone and MAYBE if you're lucky they might play it for you in person while hiding the jacket and label. Even in 2005 there are vintage psych/garage LP's that only one or two collectros have ever owned/heard.I'm curious if this is also the case in the Soul/Funk/Jazz world??If so, let's hear some stories.

Comments

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    You think so and then it turns out to be a DAT.

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    That McNeal and Niles LP was pretty well unknown til Dante helped reissue it (and put it in Waxpoetics before that). I had it a good 2 or 3 years before it was unleashed, and held it kinda sacred.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    I'd say that most heavy-ish collectors of any genre would have some items that are high quality unknowns - even if it's just something retarded that no-one else is hip to.

hiding the cover while playing the lp is mega-

• Some dude won't tell me what this is:
    http://s53.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1S1GKXRXTBYY30H35HORL9M106

he says it's an untidled edit..

anyone knows?

• Options
    Who'd want to know what that is???

K.

• hiding the cover while playing the lp is mega-

that is some sad childish shit right there.

• hiding under the bed while playing the lp is

• yeah, i'm not getting the logic on that one. If it's raerer than hen's teeth and odds are you'll never see the record again anyway, why keep it secret? That's some kidde clubhouse shit right there.

• Who'd want to know what that is???

K.

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    Secret LPs are an issue of the past.

Let's talk about secret sources.

• not a good luck for that psych rock dude who hid under that bed and gripped the jacket of some private turd what is this some fucking kiddie clubhouse shit?

• Dave is right secret records are done. What's the point in 2005 of sitting on a bunch of titles you don't want to talk about or play?

I can see not dropping titles online at places like here. And I can why DJs soaked labels off or hid covers in 1980. Or why comps & mixes keep titles off to keep out of legal trouble.

But artists are getting older while comps and legit reissues are happening. It'd be nice to give those artists some light & respect while they're still around. Plus the chance of the average person discovering a 100% unknown record is about nil. Somebody else out there has it. The influx of new records is really not what it used to be either.

• Somebody else out there has it. The influx of new records is really not what it used to be either.

speack for yerselve. private issue new age and smooth jazz batches.

• Somebody else out there has it. The influx of new records is really not what it used to be either.

speack for yerselve. private issue new age and smooth jazz batches.

Dude you do not need to keep secrets. Nobody is going to jack you for your Natural Life LPs.

• pfftt. i like natural life.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Larkin - Wind Sung Sounds fukin meditative solo flute ethreal 10 cent listing mayhem. Beat that.

• i drink herbal tea to that shit at 7 in the morning.

deal with it.

• pfftt. i like n*****l l***.

• I'm curious if this is also the case in the Soul/Funk/Jazz world??

If so, let's hear some stories.

There???s still some secrecy going on in the Japanese soul/funk/breaks game.
    The Japanese are usually happy to share info but it???s the foreigners who guard the titles with the lives.
    Its like they want to be ???King of the Nihon-breaks??? or something.
    Usually these records are mad common as well.
    Dudes been getting crazy ripped of on ebay recently.

• If dudes come to my house they can examine anything they want.

But what kind of record clam goes straight to someone's racks and starts going through every record, forgoing conversation, respect and partake?
    The kind of clam that doesn't come over in the first place.

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    When it all comes down to it, Its about the music and half the enjoyment is sharing it with other poeple who will appreciate it. The only times I have been tight lipped about some record is when I have found some crazy shit but its trashed. So I might try and see if I can find another copy and keep down prices/competition on the thing till I scored a cleaner one.

• I'm curious if this is also the case in the Soul/Funk/Jazz world??

If so, let's hear some stories.

There???s still some secrecy going on in the Japanese soul/funk/breaks game.
    The Japanese are usually happy to share info but it???s the foreigners who guard the titles with the lives.
    Its like they want to be ???King of the Nihon-breaks??? or something.
    Usually these records are mad common as well.
    Dudes been getting crazy ripped of on ebay recently.

Word to that. The Japanese dudes I've met have been more than happy to pass on the knowledge...

Peace...
    FNM

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    If dudes come to my house they can examine anything they want.

But what kind of record clam goes straight to someone's racks and starts going through every record, forgoing conversation, respect and partake?

• If dudes come to my house they can examine anything they want.

tell me about it... so grueling.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    meditative solo flute
    Beat that.
    uh... see you on the 18th?

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    When it all comes down to it, Its about the music and half the enjoyment is sharing it with other poeple who will appreciate it.

I have to agree wholeheartedly...I think one of the reasons Austin is as much fun as it is post-Show is that people bring all their "secret" or unknown records to share.

One of the reasons this "secret" record thang was so big with Psych guys was their fear of the LP being "tracked" and then 100 copies turn up, making the LP you paid $1,000 for worth maybe 1/10th that.

I have benefitted from this as folks have brought me their "secret" LP's as re-issue projects for my label. Of course, I contact the band and if there are any copies to be had, I split them with the guy who turned me on to it.

There was an infamous dealer back in the day that would black out info like names and addresses on LP covers and labels so that no one could track the band down.

And to Dante's point.....the best friends that I have made through vinyl are those who can actually have an hours worth of conversation and NEVER mention records!! I value the NRR!!

• rpmrpm 144 Posts
    If dudes come to my house they can examine anything they want.

buddy rich tells it like it is ... CLAMS!!!
    real CLAMS audio

• yo rockadelic, I bet one of the dudes that does the dumb hiding thing is that fat trust fund guy that looks like a wizard...am I right?

• JayGeeJayGee 313 Posts
    I guess you all know about northern cover ups. These are usually revealed once someone either finds a copies or another collector reveals it.

There's a certain soul/rnb 45 with a nice drumbreak a British DJ covered up years ago. It never really took off and I doubt it's been uncovered. Apprantly some other collector owned it but there wasn't really copies about.
    Will try and get a RA of it. I may be terribly wrong and you lot may know it!?