Secret LP's

2»

Comments

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    yo rockadelic, I bet one of the dudes that does the dumb hiding thing is that fat trust fund guy that looks like a wizard...am I right?

LOL....which one???

• hcrunkhcrunk 116 Posts
    meditative skin flute
    Beat that.
    uh... see you on the 18th?

• Dealing in the Psych world for the last 25 years I witnessed the phenomena of "secret LP's".

These are records that some of the heavier collectors own but they won't reveal any info about them, won't copy it for anyone and MAYBE if you're lucky they might play it for you in person while hiding the jacket and label.

Even in 2005 there are vintage psych/garage LP's that only one or two collectros have ever owned/heard.

I'm curious if this is also the case in the Soul/Funk/Jazz world??

If so, let's hear some stories.

Somehow people have to make money

so secret today means

"only 500 copies pressed, sealed copy for sale" tomorrow

Cheers
    Seb

• oh ...

... did I forget ?

"Psyche monster"

"killer wah wahs"

"breaks"

"drama loops"

... piepapo ...

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    NO 50% FOR MR. SUCKER!!!!

• NO 50% FOR MR. SUCKER!!!!

• One of the reasons this "secret" record thang was so big with Psych guys was their fear of the LP being "tracked" and then 100 copies turn up, making the LP you paid $1,000 for worth maybe 1/10th that.

and heres the weird part: they paid $1000 for a record that no one knew anything about. its like, what dealer said "yo, this record sounds good and ive never seen it, its therefore $1000"? why not, oh, you know, $100? or $50? I mean, why spend so much cheese on a record you are clueless as to its rarity, etc - doesnt it usually work like: the price goes UP as more headz know the deal? just sayin, if a man is scurred that a box of 100 sealed copies should show up, dont spend stupid $ in the first place - try and chew the dealer down, or walk away.

One of the reasons this "secret" record thang was so big with Psych guys was their fear of the LP being "tracked" and then 100 copies turn up, making the LP you paid $1,000 for worth maybe 1/10th that.

and heres the weird part: they paid $1000 for a record that no one knew anything about. its like, what dealer said "yo, this record sounds good and ive never seen it, its therefore $1000"? why not, oh, you know, $100? or $50? I mean, why spend so much cheese on a record you are clueless as to its rarity, etc - doesnt it usually work like: the price goes UP as more headz know the deal? just sayin, if a man is scurred that a box of 100 sealed copies should show up, dont spend stupid $ in the first place - try and chew the dealer down, or walk away.

Common sense and logic are more raer in collectro circles than any record.

Some 10-12 years back I had a one of a kind acetate and was made an offer I couldn't refuse, and I sold it. I actually felt guilty about taking the guys offer($3,000) as I could not fathom any record being worth that much.

He sold it two years ago for $10,000.

Guess I was the one who got

• One of the reasons this "secret" record thang was so big with Psych guys was their fear of the LP being "tracked" and then 100 copies turn up, making the LP you paid $1,000 for worth maybe 1/10th that.

I actually had a guy tell me recently, "you seem like a rational guy with a good head on your shoulders. I don't know if you're really cut out for this job."

Some 10-12 years back I had a one of a kind acetate and was made an offer I couldn't refuse, and I sold it. I actually felt guilty about taking the guys offer($3,000) as I could not fathom any record being worth that much.

Was it the Cold Sun(Dark Shadows) acetate? Ashley?

One of the reasons this "secret" record thang was so big with Psych guys was their fear of the LP being "tracked" and then 100 copies turn up, making the LP you paid $1,000 for worth maybe 1/10th that.

Was it the Cold Sun(Dark Shadows) acetate? Ashley?
    Reveal yourself

• Just a shmuck with no records who knows a thing or two about a thing or two

• hiding the cover while playing the lp is mega- OG: Afrika Bambaataa, Kool Herc, Grandmaster Flash and all the original hip hop djs used to remove or cover their labels so no one could copy their sets

• When it all comes down to it, Its about the music and half the enjoyment is sharing it with other poeple who will appreciate it. The only times I have been tight lipped about some record is when I have found some crazy shit but its trashed. So I might try and see if I can find another copy and keep down prices/competition on the thing till I scored a cleaner one.

Sometimes light can be good for the price of a record. Look at something like bubbha thomas "energy control center". Only 1 or 2 seen on ebay in years. After it was reissued, there's been almost a copy up every week since.

I get bugged by people in reputable positions who perpetuate the obscurity (or $ value) = quality myth.

World's experience orchestra sells for $450 on ebay. Previously seen for $100-$200.

It gets comp'd by giles. Liner notes claim selling price of 450 pounds (so $800?).

In an interview he claims it's a "$2000" record.

And so on. It's good music but why this nonsense?

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    When it all comes down to it, Its about the music and half the enjoyment is sharing it with other poeple who will appreciate it. The only times I have been tight lipped about some record is when I have found some crazy shit but its trashed. So I might try and see if I can find another copy and keep down prices/competition on the thing till I scored a cleaner one.

Sometimes light can be good for the price of a record. Look at something like bubbha thomas "energy control center". Only 1 or 2 seen on ebay in years. After it was reissued, there's been almost a copy up every week since.

a bit off topic, but that energy control re-ish vinyl does not sound good...

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    and btw, world experience orchestra....what is that all about?

• Options
    I often catch records on eBay and otherwise that only a select few (looking) individuals know about and can sell them for many x's times the cost by having the record to play to someone or knowing someone down with the sound. Why would I hurt my selling/trading by divulging such info?

Sure, if I'ma t ta gig and spinning the record I'll gladly show all pertaining info and even geek out on what I know.

K in Canada.

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts
    When it all comes down to it, Its about the music and half the enjoyment is sharing it with other poeple who will appreciate it. The only times I have been tight lipped about some record is when I have found some crazy shit but its trashed. So I might try and see if I can find another copy and keep down prices/competition on the thing till I scored a cleaner one.

Good Pointman