Funk Psych LP's

Comments

• nessness 249 Posts
    Scorpion "Scorpion" (Tower)

isn't this just a bunch of session dudes??? confused.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Osmium, anyone?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

I got a VG double if anyone is interested

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Del Jones 1st Press

why do you specify the "first press"? is it different?

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Del Jones 1st Press

Absolutely!!! The first press is the "guitar mix" wah-wah lovers heaven and the cover has a photo of Del on the front....second press was overdubbed with mega-horns at Electric Lady studios and has the map of Africa on the front.....sounds TOTALLY different.

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    Osmium, anyone?

gets my vote.

Del Jones 1st Press

Absolutely!!! The first press is the "guitar mix" wah-wah lovers heaven and the cover has a photo of Del on the front....second press was overdubbed with mega-horns at Electric Lady studios and has the map of Africa on the front.....sounds TOTALLY different.

Do you know which mix the reish (boot?) is?

Del Jones 1st Press

Do you know which mix the reish (boot?) is?

There are two re-issues...some Japanese guy did the horn version and my and my buddy Loopden did the guitar version.....and BOTH were done legit with help from Del.....our version has a cool letter from Del The War Correspondent inside!!

• More War Correspondence:

do both have the same cover?

Tell ya what....PM me and for the postage I'll send you a copy of the 1st press re

The re-issues both had the original(different) covers

Tell ya what....PM me and for the postage I'll send you a copy of the 1st press re

The re-issues both had the original(different) covers

Sweet!

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

how is this LP? can somebody with it please report to

• Man, this is a great thread.

What is the preferred nomenclature for the types of records being discussed in this thread? Is black rock cool? I think funk and psyche are two terms that in general get applied a little to liberally.

But anyway, I'm having a hard time just tracking down the Funky Delicacies reish of the two Black Merda cds and the Fugi album. Any looks on how to find some of this other stuff?? Even reissues are fine w/ me. Like the Rodan album or some of the other obscure stuff mentioned here?

The stuff I have is just the basics: Black Chains n Exhaust comp, Osmium, the Funkadelic albums through "Standin' on the Verge"... Where does "3 + 3" fit in?

• soooo what's gonna be on C&BE Vol. 2? Or what should be?

• This is really good...but only a few funky cuts,rest is more soulful I guess.Lots of fuzz guitar and strings.Overall it's pretty nice.

I've got it but I aint no Real Head

• I got Fugi from Dusty Groove, they'd be the best bet probably. Scorpion has been reissued, and its not that hard to track down OGs. Its Motown session guys. Three good tracks in my opinion. I'd also say both the Jimi LPs with Curtis Knight are worth having. I want some of that Eddie Hazel solo stuff, how difficult should that be to turn up?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    This is really good...but only a few funky cuts,rest is more soulful I guess.Lots of fuzz guitar and strings.Overall it's pretty nice.

I've got it but I aint no Real Head

for my benefit I highly encourage you to step your game up.

• I'd also say both the Jimi LPs with Curtis Knight are worth having.

also Band of Gypsys!

• I got Fugi from Dusty Groove, they'd be the best bet probably. Scorpion has been reissued, and its not that hard to track down OGs. Its Motown session guys. Three good tracks in my opinion. I'd also say both the Jimi LPs with Curtis Knight are worth having. I want some of that Eddie Hazel solo stuff, how difficult should that be to turn up?

Thanks for responding.

Which are the Jimi LPs you are referring to? Released posthumously, I'm assuming?

AFAIK, Hazel just has the one solo album "Dames, Games and Guitar Thangs." I've seen a couple of cats mentioning finding OGs in the last few weeks. I got the cd reish through Rhino. It's on Rhino Handmade, so you can only order it through their website. A lil' pricey, but well worth it.

Surely the Funkadelic live cd is considered a hallmark of this genre, new drummer and all?

how about william S. Fischer on Embryo?

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts

proto LL Cool J

• i keep waiting for tapes of an Iron Knowledge LP to be discovered.

• nessness 249 Posts

it's good, but it's a bunch of jazz session dudes. kinda trippy. but it's not rock. it's rocks, but it's not jazz.

dude...

it's good, but it's a bunch of jazz session dudes. kinda trippy. but it's not rock. it's rocks, but it's not jazz.

dude...

It sounds like psych & therr is a black man on the front though. Black Moog rock?

• how about william S. Fischer on Embryo?

dude...

Maybe he was confusing that LP with Brute Force's LP, also on Embryo? That could be called funk/psych (w/jazz overtones), although I don't think it's very good.

(This is Brute Force the band, not the cultish white singer/songwriter with the same name.)

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts

dude...

Maybe he was confusing that LP with Brute Force's LP, also on Embryo? That could be called funk/psych (w/jazz overtones), although I don't think it's very good.

(This is Brute Force the band, not the cultish white singer/songwriter with the same name.)

what would you classify the 1st black heat LP?

• how about william S. Fischer on Embryo?

dude...

what would you classify the 1st black heat LP?

Kool & the Gang w/ a Vox Fuzzface