Funk Psych LP's

RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
Bored at work.....Turn me on to your favorite Funk/Psych LPI'm hip to the obvious big label ones like....Purple ImageBlack MerdaScorpionAnd I know a few of the more obscure ones....Del Jones 1st PressRodanVelvert TurnerBut tell me about some of those ultra-raer, local, private press Funk/Psych joints!!!

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

Rodan

bay area lp with winged unicorn man drawing on the front?

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    Capitol Records Raer

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

Rodan

One killer Funk track, one killer long psych/prog track....that be the one.

• Private gospel funk psych

Capitol Records Raer

Looks like something I need to hear....thanks

Rodan

haha! damn! I've been looking for info on this record. Found one this summer. Really dope, methinks! Wasn't sure if anyone knew about it. It seems to have slightly xian overtones? but yeah, the one funky track is super heavy.

Rodan

haha! damn! I've been looking for info on this record. Found one this summer. Really dope, methinks! Wasn't sure if anyone knew about it. It seems to have slightly xian overtones? but yeah, the one funky track is super heavy.

Main dude is still active but his name is spelled wrong on the LP. Only 250 pressed and it's a beautiful cover and artwork for that small a run. Chr*s at Groove Merchant got mine..."Auf de Bauf" is de shit

Private gospel funk psych

From like Vermont or New Hampshire and they have a second LP too!!

Rodan

Main dude is still active but his name is spelled wrong on the LP. Only 250 pressed and it's a beautiful cover and artwork for that small a run. Chr*s at Groove Merchant got mine..."Auf de Bauf" is de shit

damn!

I dug mine up in a .99 cent bin right when I moved to the north bay.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Black Merda

What makes this a "funk psyche" LP? The mere fact that the dudes are black? I mean, I love both of their records, but don't really hear anything resembling funk on them.

• Private gospel funk psych

From like Vermont or New Hampshire and they have a second LP too!!

Yeah, I think that is the 2nd one.

Rodan

damn!

Black Merda

What makes this a "funk psyche" LP? The mere fact that the dudes are black? I mean, I love both of their records, but don't really hear anything resembling funk on them.

Yes...I am a racist that way

• Black Merda

No, I agree...just need for categorization. Their first drummer does have a second line style, but it comes off sounding more like Bo Diddley than the Meters.

Rodan

damn!

there it be! I recommend headz not sleep on this.

artwork reminds me of...

• Crink can you upload for the "real headz"?

Crink can you upload for the "real headz"?

yes. I'll have to chain myself to a different chair & burn all the shit I've promised.

Black Merda

No, I agree...just need for categorization. Their first drummer does have a second line style, but it comes off sounding more like Bo Diddley than the Meters.

Pretty common around here... all of these chimeric funk subgenre tags dudes are always throwing around, like "folk-funk," always turn out to be, say, pretty straightforward folk-rock that happens to have been recorded by black dudes.

Black Merda

Pretty common around here... all of these chimeric funk subgenre tags dudes are always throwing around, like "folk-funk," always turn out to be, say, pretty straightforward folk-rock that happens to have been recorded by black dudes.

Please turn me on to Folk Rock LP's recorded by black dudes!!!!!!!

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts

Black Merda

so what?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

Turn me on to your favorite Funk/Psych LP

And I know a few of the more obscure ones....

Velvert Turner

I've had both versions of this in the past and wasn't feeling this as a "funk psych" piece. What tracks are the ones making folks orgasm?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

kind of like how rap done by white guys = ???

Black Merda

so what?

It's just misleading... and suggests that dudes aren't actually listening to the records that they're talking about.

"Funk" = a musical style with definable characteristics, not some sort of black essence

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts

That cover is serious.

• Black Merda

Speaking of Black Merda...I have a question if you have the original Chess LP. Why is the mastering very audibly different on that LP than the 45 and recent re-release? It's to the point where they sound like different songs. Heck, they might be.

• Pretty common around here... all of these chimeric funk subgenre tags dudes are always throwing around, like "folk-funk," always turn out to be, say, pretty straightforward folk-rock that happens to have been recorded by black dudes.

kind of like how rap done by white guys =

kind of like how rap done by white guys = ???

I wouldn't know. That's not a phrase that I use.

The only word more mis-used than Funk is Psych

But for lack of better terms and what's generally accepted/described as Funk/Psych ranging from Maggot Brain to Dennis Coffey...I think you know what I meant.

So all you real headz out there ...tell me your Top 5 TRUE Funk/Psych LP's??

• Five foundations:

Funkadelic "Funkadelic" (Westbound)

Purple Image "Purple Image" (Map City)

Scorpion "Scorpion" (Tower)

The Next Morning "The Next Morning" (Calla)

Del Jones "Positive Vibes" (Hikeka) guitar mix version

All of the best black psych is on 45, so this list is hard to expand on.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts

All of the best black pysch is on 45, so this list is hard to expand on.
    I thought we were talking about Funk Psych?