Funky cover version of Lay Lady Lay?

Comments

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Dylan's voice is certainly not for every palette... mine included.
    But I do really like 'Subterranean Homesick Blues'.

Dude definitely knows how to write great songs with great lyrics, and I at least admire his voice for being different from everyone else's. Can you imagine him on American Idol?

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    his voice is pure shit but i want to hear other people doing his music.

They are great musicians to repeat, but to also repeat, they are TERRIBLE SINGERS![/b] The "unique nature" of their voices doesn't mean it cancels out the fact that they have bad singing voices (see American Idol for uniquely bad voices).

Cmon CPR, rude? Are you their PR dude or something? Sounds like you need a hug or something.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

And on Nashville Skyline, Bob is really singing for once. Think I read that he had a motorcycle crash around then which changed his voice a little...don't quote me though.

Nah, as Pickwick points out, that was years previous.

If it was anything other than a conscious artistic decision, I would guess that his Skyline voice had more to do with giving up smoking.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    dude...dylan and neil young have sold millions upon millions of records...you are on a sinking ship if you want to argue that they can't sing. they have unique voices and write great songs...why trash their voices? that's just rude. that's like me saying...can anybody recommend any good versions of James Brown tunes? his voice is pure shit but i want to hear other people doing his music.

Dylan is not a singers' singer. Hammer sold records as well, that shouldnt come into the equation when critiquing his singing voice.

• yes rude! it's disrespectful to people who are such treasured american singer/songwriters...if you respect their songwriting abilities, why say such harsh things about their voices? you can say that the timbre of their voices doesn't suit your taste in singers...that way you are still being respectful. but to ask for other versions of their songs while openly saying that they can't sing and that their voice sounds like fingernails on a chalkboard...that's a bit much!

but this is all just my huble opinion.

and yes, on "nashville skyline" dylan's voice really opened up to it's full potential...he had just quit smoking apparently and thus his voice became much smoother and more conventionally pleasant.

• ah yes, the classic mc hammer analogy. ok, i'll correct myself...dylan and neil young have sold millions of records over a span of 40 YEARS.

and reading over the initial post...the_non said he hates most everything about dylan! what does that mean? do you know him? can you not seperate the man and the voice from the music he writes?

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Get him, CPR!

Interviews, actions, concert behavior, his music, etc. He always comes off as a douchebag. This has been confirmed by people I know in the music industry. I can only go off of what I know, but you're right, I don't know the guy enough. I stand by my right to not like whatever I don't like, even though I might like the background tune and melody to a song by the object of my dissatisfaction .

• cool, of course you have every right to not like whatever you don't like. and it's nice to meet somebody with friends "in the industry".

now go get yourself a hug!

Neil Young was the musical guest on SNL the other night. It was pathetic. His voice is weak, perhaps that is what makes it charming to his fans. To me, it is subpar whiny singing.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Neil Young was the musical guest on SNL the other night. It was pathetic. His voice is weak, perhaps that is what makes it charming to his fans. To me, it is subpar whiny singing.

Now your buggin. His voice doesnt have the strength it used to. CSNY=

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

I prefer to think of it as "wrought with emotion".

I can respect the love people have for both dudes. Their voices, to me, are not my cup of tea and in my opinion, are puzzling in their mediocrity vis a vis their popularity. Different strokes for different folks!

No

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    This has been confirmed by people I know in the music industry.

You sure showed him.

- spidey

• no, what is puzzling about talent vs. popularity is bullshit like Kelly Clarkson, Justin Timberlake, either of the Simpson girls, etc. that kind of bullshit that in 10 years no one is even going to remember...but Neil Young and Bob Dylan's popularity is puzzling?

Hey Malus,
    Take your haiku-length spidey quips and hit the bricks.

Hook Up,
    You're right actually because they both write great songs. Their popularity is not puzzling, the accolades dudes on here are giving them for their singing voices is still puzzling though.

no, what is puzzling about talent vs. popularity is bullshit like Kelly Clarkson, Justin Timberlake, either of the Simpson girls, funk versions of "Lay Lady Lay"[/b], etc. that kind of bullshit that in 10 years no one is even going to remember...but Neil Young and Bob Dylan's popularity is puzzling?

• dayday 9,611 Posts

and reading over the initial post...the_non said he hates most everything about dylan! what does that mean? do you know him? can you not seperate the man and the voice from the music he writes?

*PUSSY HURT ALERT![/b]

I'm sorry CPR, but can't someone just not like anything about an artist without having to say why? There are some people I CANNOT FUCKING STAND that make music or act and I don't know them. And that's ok. If someone thinks James Brown's music is garbage and he looks like an old Filipino lady, that's ok too.

It always seems like people can't have an opinion that diverges from the masses without being told they're "wrong". If dude doesn't like Bob Dylan, really, who the fuck cares?

I say all this in the nicest way possible because today, I love you all.

J*ff, you are not hip hop.

Only one thing can save this thread now:

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Hey Malus,
    Take your haiku-length spidey quips and hit the bricks.

That's funny, because I do write haikus. Bung bung.

- spidey

• Only one thing can save this thread now:

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    I like Neil Young, just now kiiiiiind of starting to accept Dylan. My wife loves Dylan and I've always been like "no way, dude sounds like an injured animal" but after really listening to more of him and paying more attention to his lyrics, I can get with him.

But like I said, what do you all care if Non likes him or hates him?
    You guys getting all Salem on the dude over his musical prefrences is,...howyousay....

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts
    David T. Walker and Harry Roche Constellation did nice versions of Lay lady lay.

Peace

• of course people cannot like an artist and not have to explain themselves...but when you ask for cover versions of an artist's work and yet are openly hostile about the artist it strikes me as strange...if you really like the songwriter and not the singer you'd at least be respectful no?

and trust me, i'm all about having opinions that diverge from the masses, but i also distrust people having opinions for the sole reason of diverging from the masses...not to accuse the_non of thinking that way.

and my pussy is just fine by the way.

*PUSSY HURT ALERT![/b]

I'm sorry CPR, but can't someone just not like anything about an artist without having to say why? There are some people I CANNOT FUCKING STAND that make music or act and I don't know them. And that's ok. If someone thinks James Brown's music is garbage and he looks like an old Filipino lady, that's ok too.

It always seems like people can't have an opinion that diverges from the masses without being told they're "wrong". If dude doesn't like Bob Dylan, really, who the fuck cares?

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts

what in gods name is going on here?!?!?!

• But like I said, what do you all care if Non likes him or hates him?
    You guys getting all Salem on the dude over his musical prefrences is,...howyousay....

then what is your problem exactly with people standing up for dylan or neil young's voice? not a good look either no?

the_non...have you ever checked out Neil Young's "on the beach" album?

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Point taken. It just seemed like everyone ganging up on him over his musical tastes was getting a bit out of hand.

of course people cannot like an artist and not have to explain themselves...but when you ask for cover versions of an artist's work and yet are openly hostile about the artist it strikes me as strange...if you really like the songwriter and not the singer you'd at least be respectful no?

and trust me, i'm all about having opinions that diverge from the masses, but i also distrust people having opinions for the sole reason of diverging from the masses...not to accuse the_non of thinking that way.

and my pussy is just fine by the way.

*PUSSY HURT ALERT![/b]

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

Bruce Nauman would be proud. Love it.