Funky cover version of Lay Lady Lay?

The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
edited December 2005 in Music Talk
I have been digging this version right here by Bill Black:

Love the song, hate Dylan's voice (and most everything about him). Anybody know of funky cover versions with or without vocals? Thanks and peaceT.N.

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    the Isley's

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts

• Love the song, hate Dylan's voice (and most everything about him).

Except for his songs or just this one song?

• Della Reese

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Ferrante & Teicher

David T Walker

Dylan and Neil Young have garbage voices.I don't like any of either's singing.I can still appreciate some of their songs though. I guess it's "what they have to say" that made them popular with some folk. For me, it is "music related only."
    Peace
    T.N.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Cassandra Wilson

• Except for his songs or just this one song?

Dylan and Neil Young have garbage voices.I don't like any of either's singing.I can still appreciate some of their songs though. I guess it's "what they have to say" that made them popular with some folk. For me, it is "music related only."
    Peace
    T.N.

I guess it's all personal taste but I find Dylan's voice on Nashville Skyline downright pleasant. And musically speaking, don't discount Dylan's abilities. His songs aren't classics just because of the words, they do sound amazing and are well-crafted. But I guess I'm in the minority on Soul Strut as a Dylan lover. Didn't more people on here like Donovan than Dylan?

Peace
    T.N.

Get that walking terd outta here crink. If dudes on here are gonna try to say Dylan has a good singing voice, I'll go down to the wire with vehement disagreement. I'm not taking away from his musical ability, nor his songwriting. His voice is the "musical" equivalent (quotes for effect) of scratching knives and forks on a ceramic dinner plate.

• I got a dope instrumental cover by prog band Made In Sweden. Nice funky drums + cool strings.

• Get that walking terd outta here crink. If dudes on here are gonna try to say Dylan has a good singing voice, I'll go down to the wire with vehement disagreement. I'm not taking away from his musical ability, nor his songwriting. His voice is the "musical" equivalent (quotes for effect) of scratching knives and forks on a ceramic dinner plate.

Some would say the same about this guy:
    Attached files

• His voice is the "musical" equivalent (quotes for effect) of scratching knives and forks on a ceramic dinner plate.

Hey Reynaldo, stop satisfying your Id.

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    Ministry.

• Hey, I'm listening to Dylan's "Lay Lady Lay" right now and I don't hear anything even approaching (the equivalent of) knives scratching on ceramic dinner plates. How can that be?

Dylan was str8 croonin' on that record.

You're not listening hard enough.
    Step 1: Make a bed of Cotique LPs won off of eBay
    Step 2: Grab your gold plated headphones and place them on head
    Step 3: Adjust the EQ levels on your $1000 tuner/receiver
    Step 4: Hear the scratching commence!

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    ben e. king

• Step 1: Make a bed of Cotique LPs won off of eBay

Step 2: Grab your gold plated headphones and place them on head

Step 3: Adjust the EQ levels on your $1000 tuner/receiver

Step 4: Hear the scratching commence!

Wow, now he sounds more angelic then ever! I'm convinced that you've never actually heard the record!

• Funky "Lay Lady Lay?" Try Eddie & Ernie's uptempo version.

Didn't more people on here like Donovan than Dylan?

If so, I'm not one of them. Dylan fan all the way.

I play all the records I sell unless they're sealed:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=306&item=4804101931

I'm just teasing you btw Rey, I don't understand the need for an alter ego though.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Della Reese did her own nice version called 'Lay Baby Lay' on the Let Me In Your Life LP.

And on Nashville Skyline, Bob is really singing for once. Think I read that he had a motorcycle crash around then which changed his voice a little...don't quote me though.

• there's a nice reggae version that was produced by Lee Perry, I forget the name of the lady who sang it, I'll get back to you on it later, if one of the other reggae heads doesn't before

Thanks to all who've helped so far, keep em coming!

• And on Nashville Skyline, Bob is really singing for once. Think I read that he had a motorcycle crash around then which changed his voice a little

His motorcycle crash was actually three years prior to Skyline. And he still continues to use the old pre-Skyline "sandpaper" voice right up to today.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    As p-gunn already said, the version on this LP (in a medley with "In the Midnight Hour") is seriously dope. This entire album is one of the most slept-on dollarbincommon pieces I know - awesome soul/rock crossover, available in almost any record store for under $10, usually sealed.

• As p-gunn already said, the version on this LP (in a medley with "In the Midnight Hour") is seriously dope. This entire album is one of the most slept-on dollarbincommon pieces I know - awesome soul/rock crossover, available in almost any record store for under $10, usually sealed.
    cosign. on the same label as Mickey and the Soul Generation as well.

• TNGTNG 234 Posts
    Don't forget these:

Howard Tate "Girl From The North Country"
    Nina Simone "Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues"

And for the reggae heads:

Ken Boothe "Mr. Tambourine Man"

• dude...dylan and neil young have sold millions upon millions of records...you are on a sinking ship if you want to argue that they can't sing. they have unique voices and write great songs...why trash their voices? that's just rude. that's like me saying...can anybody recommend any good versions of James Brown tunes? his voice is pure shit but i want to hear other people doing his music.