beastie boys appreciation

Comments

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    I remember watching an interview with Mike D and he was speaking about how after Pauls Boutique was released, and it didnt do the numbers expected, people at capital started getting fired. etc.. it was pretty funny.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    There were a couple of reasons that PB didn't blow up. One, it's wasn't the "Drunk/SEX/Party" record that a huge portion of college kids copped licence to ill for. Remember, they were the ones that bought the album in the first place. In the beginning, almost everyone hated LTI. And I think that was one of the few reasons that the white college crowd (and also the skate kids of the mid 80's) got behind it. When PB dropped, almost everyone was waiting for LTI pt. 2 and alot of people were not feeling that it wasn't. 2nd, quite a few mainstream critics came out giving them big thumbs up on the album. And I think it didn't help. Kids didn't want an lp like that. Eventhough the production was pretty amazing, I think most were yerning for that anti-establishment record.

They wanted to get away from L2Ill.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    There were a couple of reasons that PB didn't blow up. One, it's wasn't the "Drunk/SEX/Party" record that a huge portion of college kids copped licence to ill for. Remember, they were the ones that bought the album in the first place. In the beginning, almost everyone hated LTI. And I think that was one of the few reasons that the white college crowd (and also the skate kids of the mid 80's) got behind it. When PB dropped, almost everyone was waiting for LTI pt. 2 and alot of people were not feeling that it wasn't. 2nd, quite a few mainstream critics came out giving them big thumbs up on the album. And I think it didn't help. Kids didn't want an lp like that. Eventhough the production was pretty amazing, I think most were yerning for that anti-establishment record.

They wanted to get away from L2Ill.

Of course they did... But thats not what college kids wanted (Which is who buys their records... They kinda came back with check your head (not so much drunk/sex/party, but that punkish anti-establishment feel) and did well sales wise...

• what, no love for ill communication? thats easily one of my favorites of theirs, also the first thing i ever bought on vinyl!

Me too.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts

does this really count? i mean even though there are 2 or 3 tracks exclusive to it, its basically just a compilation.

a good one, though.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    License To Ill was nuts to an 8 yr old that was loving metal and rap at the time. One of those records that my mom didnt want me listening to because heard about the hydraulic penis on stage during their live shows.

I remember me as a little dude in 87 going to restaurant with my parents and the son of the owner asked me if i knew about the Beasties and how they had girls on stage in cages throwing beer cans in the audience. since then, I was a fan...remember "she's on it" as the first thing i heard from them....

By the time Check Your Head came out..it was like the fucking coolest thing I could possibly imagine. The music,the style,etc...I fucking ate it up. For a teenage kid into skating and shit..it was my soundtrack. I was definately on some Pumas,Shelltoes, and vintage Adidas tracksuits type shit. A fun time..writing graffiti,smoking a lot of weed,getting drunk and reading Grand Royal.

Huge cosign - had a friend of mine going over to london to cop some suede pumas for us, as they were not really available in germany at that time. We felt like kings...rocked the shelltoes back then and everybody used to diss me ("is that your granddads soccershoes?" - "Why are you wearing these thick laces?")...after 3 years, everyone picked up that style...mucho credit to the beasties...
    actually i saw them live in 92 when they were on the check you r head tour. one of my best concerts evar. they started with slow and low and after the first notes, my friend next to me (we were in the front row) was gone,as some topless guys with huge tattoos dived him to the back of the spot (no ayo). Beasties had to take a break and they had to open the big doors on the side, because it was too hot in there and the stage was too slippery.

I don't know how often I listened to Check your head. It was THE record back then. I could even citate Lee's "shut the fuck up, chico man" without knowing it was from Wild Style, which i only saw in 93 for the first time...dudes introduced so much to me...some critic once said they got the "cool knowledge"

• This was supposed to be a yellow vinyl only release originally. There was a form in Grand Royal issue 2 that you'd send in. Took like 6 months to get my copy. I was a little pissed when they gave it a general release.

Are all the copies yellow?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I kinda blame/credit PB for starting the cross-over movement. PB is a gem in its own right, but few, if any, of the attempts at mixing so many genres were as listenable. I think PB was also the catalyst for spreading "name that sample!" and music nerd as cool to the masses. (Lester Bangs being the exception of course)

I remember watching an interview with Mike D and he was speaking about how after Pauls Boutique was released, and it didnt do the numbers expected, people at capital started getting fired. etc.. it was pretty funny.

it was basically the Beasties getting down with the Dust Brothers partying in LA. And yes, they didn't want to do a lti pt.2, which is why they came up with pb. I loved it when it came out, since the production had so many layers, it was unbelievable. But I could understand that it didn't do well saleswise, as it was very complex and not easily accessible. One of the Top records though, as has been said....

I thought there was a limited run of 3000 numbered yellow copies. After that it saw a general release and then it was bootlegged again...at least that's what I know...

"Someday, we shall all be one"

• i think ya'll are sleeping on hello nasty. its a great album. all their albums are classic. except for the new one, which i havent heard all the way through.

I kinda blame/credit PB for starting the cross-over movement. PB is a gem in its own right, but few, if any, of the attempts at mixing so many genres were as listenable. I think PB was also the catalyst for spreading "name that sample!" and music nerd as cool to the masses. (Lester Bangs being the exception of course)

True, good point.

yes, totally, but not the same crowd as i'm refering to - i was continuing from DOR's posts. i would guess more indie rocker/hipster/college radio types own PB and know it inside out than 3 Feet. just a guess.

• I really liked License to ill, except shit like "No sleep till" or "Fight for your right"

exactly

Yeah true, in comparison to their ace stuff, those are wackety wack, jack - but if you're at a wack party for someones gran or something, the DJ is likely to have fight for your right.... plus, if you're drunk - they are good for a shout-along and enciting some anarchy.

Some shit always jumps off to that song in a room full of drunk folls.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    except for the new one, which i havent heard all the way through.

seriously, dont even bother

sounds like they recorded the whole thing in about 5 minutes.

yes, totally, but not the same crowd as i'm refering to - i was continuing from DOR's posts. i would guess more indie rocker/hipster/college radio types own PB and know it inside out than 3 Feet. just a guess.

Yeah........my college buddies(the rock fans) had PB but was lost on 3FTHIGH.

But then again 3ft High was all over the music mags of the time and still is mentioned when discussing classics.

But college radio also got behind 3fh&r. I remember national charts back in the day and that LP was on it in a big way. Not so much as LTI. But that lp was supported by the college crowd too.

• except for the new one, which i havent heard all the way through.

seriously, dont even bother
    sounds like they recorded the whole thing in about 5 minutes.

I really think that with Grand Royal going belly-up and those lawsuits they simply needed extra cash. I bought 5 Boroughs, gave it one listen, and put it in my shelves where it's been ever since. Really really disappointed with it. So much so that I completely passed on their tour when it came through.

I think both records were supported by college radio. I think both records are classics. I think PB impacted and started a trend amongst folks in a way that other records had not until then. I don???t have stats and I am sure there are many examples to disprove what I???m saying. I prefer 3 Feet to PB and have listened to it far more than PB. I like cats.

• I always really liked the amount of music videos they had

The VHS tape with videos from PB and some older stuff was the shit. SKills to pay the bills. "Hey ladies" and all that, even "neddies girl" with the track suits paddling stoned in the paddle boats.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    i have a bunch of the paul's boutique demos somewhere. if anyone wants them, hit me on the PM. ie, i'll yousendit to you, not sell them to you.

• I always really liked the amount of music videos they had

The VHS tape with videos from PB and some older stuff was the shit. SKills to pay the bills. "Hey ladies" and all that, even "neddies girl" with the track suits paddling stoned in the paddle boats.

My roomate introduced me to that VHS just this year!! We come home drunk from some party one night, and he's like "awwwww man! I gotta grab something!" Goes to his room, comes back with the Skills VHS. Dope video for sure.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    I remember hating the Beastie Boys in highschool. They just seemed totally stupid to me. Then, in college in 88-89 I picked up PB for some reason. To this day I have no idea why I did it. I really dug it right away. I don't recall anyone else listening to it at all (whereas 3ftHR and TCQ were big plays). It seemed like my little secret for a year or two until check your head was going to be released. Around the spring of 92, I distinctly remember walking into a party at my friend's house and PB was playing. I walked over to the guy and had a long conversation about it. Whithin days/weeks PB could be heard at every house party. It was like some weird virus spreading. Years later I found 8 sealed copies sitting in a local hip-hop shop.

• I have a buddy that was digging for some records while the Beastie Boys where on their LTI tour (I think) in our area. They walk into a record store my buddy is digging in and ask him where Groove Merchant was. The rest is history.

• This was supposed to be a yellow vinyl only release originally. There was a form in Grand Royal issue 2 that you'd send in. Took like 6 months to get my copy. I was a little pissed when they gave it a general release.

yeah i got mine....all yellow and buttery!

yeah i got mine....all yellow and buttery!

I got one from this kid I went to high school with. When I bought turntables he just gave it to me because he had no way to listen to it. He was really into the beastie boys. Mine is yellow too and on the back its numbered in a series of like 5000 or something like that. I never listen to it though. Beastie jazz is kind of boring. I would much rather listen to PB.

• i have a bunch of the paul's boutique demos somewhere. if anyone wants them, hit me on the PM. ie, i'll yousendit to you, not sell them to you.

Hey magic_jackson, can you just post a yousendit link right here in the thread? I'm sure a lot of people on here would like to get those demos (I know I would).

Serious contender for the most musically creative album in hip hop history. It's so sad that we will probably never hear it done like this again.

• i have a bunch of the paul's boutique demos somewhere. if anyone wants them, hit me on the PM. ie, i'll yousendit to you, not sell them to you.

Hey magic_jackson, can you just post a yousendit link right here in the thread? I'm sure a lot of people on here would like to get those demos (I know I would).

Serious contender for the most musically creative album in hip hop history. It's so sad that we will probably never hear it done like this again.

Was it ever released on double LP mine is single and sounds like ass. I have the CD too, but I would love to have a double LP version.

• pknypkny 549 Posts
    Was it ever released on double LP mine is single and sounds like ass. I have the CD too, but I would love to have a double LP version.

Grand Royal reissued PB on double LP a few years back, I want to say 98 or 99. I think the OG was strictly one LP.