beastie boys appreciation

DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
edited December 2005 in Off Topic (NRR)
brought out the sounds of science today to listen to while driving around doing errands. it got me thinking about #1, how many great songs these guys have, and #2, the amount of great sampling that went on in the process. any thoughts?

Comments

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    brought out the sounds of science today to listen to while driving around doing errands. it got me thinking about #1, how many great songs these guys have, and #2, the amount of great sampling that went on in the process. any thoughts?

I'm not mad at the Beasties at all. They got nice beats and have used a lot of nice samples. One of my favorite songs from them is "Rootdown" among many others.

• they had a lot of nice joints. "slow and low" may be the hardest.

• flunkflunk 230 Posts
    you all sound apologetic about liking the beastie boys........is you yungungs?

• who me? wrong on both counts.

• i remember when liscensed to ill was out, i was in 6th/7th grade and it was some scandalous shit.
    pauls boutique was dope but made absolutely no noise when it was out. why did so many sleep so hard?!??! great record. car thief? forget about it

i had lots and lots of fun when check your head came out. we got drunk at school all day and then went to the show at the trocadero. i was stage diving and got thrown out in the back alley by a bouncer, but i just went back around to the front and showed them my ticket and went back in. somehow my ribs were all black and blue after the show. shit was great.

what was the next album? kinda fell off after check your head. i was getting head over heels for old records (looking for all those pauls boutique joints!)

i liked remote control.

the new style is the shit. man, liscenced to ill is classic

i appreciate that when they started putting those bullshit cd jukeboxes in bars, you could play bboy bouillabaise as one song and it was ten minutes long.
    HELLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BROOOOOOOOKLYNNNNN!!!!!!!

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    Three Jewsish guys from NYC that manage to maintain mass appeal more than 20 years after they started, make them about the easiest targets for haters. They have done plenty of great stuff as artists, amazing things as individuals and should serve as rolemodels for millions.

Grand Royal was reissuing Liquid Liquid records back before many on here ever even considered collecting records.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    i remember when liscensed to ill was out, i was in 6th/7th grade and it was some scandalous shit.

pauls boutique was dope but made absolutely no noise when it was out. why did so many sleep so hard?!??! great record. car thief? forget about it[/b]

T**y, you are my fucking dude! I remember my aunt gave me that tape for my birthday when it came out and I was blown away. That record was waaaaaaaaaay ahead of its time. Definitley an influence on me production wise.

Who the fuck knows what music would be like if they didn't come down so hard on sampling.

• they had a lot of nice joints. "slow and low" may be the hardest.

yeah the boutique was the best album: car thief, shadrach, the bouillabaisse, etc. slow and low was just the first joint that came to mind and I still think onw of the illest to hear live. teh albums definitely fell off post-check your head though their live shows were dope for some time thereafter. but yeah, check your head era shows were the best. marin civic auditorium in like '93 i don't think my hearing ever fully recovered.

• i remember when liscensed to ill was out, i was in 6th/7th grade and it was some scandalous shit.
    pauls boutique was dope but made absolutely no noise when it was out. why did so many sleep so hard?!??! great record. car thief? forget about it

I was in pretty much the same boat... Licensed To Ill came out when I was 12 and it was one of those albums that had a huge impact on my development as a music listener. I was huge into the Beasties after that and I remember waiting what seemed like *ages* for their second album to come out. I remember going to Gold Circle (anybody remember that place?) and finding the cassingle of the Love American Style EP. It had Shake Your Rump, Hey Ladies, and then the remixes of each. I remember riding around on my bike all the time listening to that tape on my Walkman. I absolutely loved that single and couldn't wait for the album to drop.

Then Paul's Boutique finally hit. I remember having my dad drive me to the store (hey, I was only 15 and couldn't drive myself!) and I was all excited when I purchased the B>cassette/B>. I remember opening that case and seeing a cassette made of red plastic...dope, I thought. I listened to the tape and...hmm, well, Shake Your Rump was still good, and so was Hey Ladies. The rest though...man, I couldn't get into it. It was so vastly different from Licensed To Ill and my 15-year-old brain wasn't ready for some next-level shit like that. I listened to the tape a bit more but never really got into it and didn't pull it out much. After that it seemed like the Beasties just sort of disappeared and nobody heard anything about them.

Cue to a couple years later and I see a story on MTV News about them working on a new album...but get this, they're playing their own instruments. At the time that seemed really radical and out there. Then I remember hearing Pass The Mic for the first time and it was dope as hell. I was 17 by then and my brain had caught up to what the Beasties were doing. Then of course there was So What'cha Want, and it was on like Donkey Kong again and I was a Beasties fan to the fullest.

Around that time a friend of mine told me he'd been listening to Paul's Boutique a lot and that I should give it another listen. I figured it couldn't hurt since it'd been a long time since I'd listened to it and it might deserve another spin. This time around, maybe due to me being 17 or 18 and just being a bit more mature and my tastes a bit different, the album just clicked. Suddenly I was all over the album and couldn't get enough. And hell yeah, Car Thief was my joint! These days I consider it one of the best hiphop albums ever, if not in my list of top albums regardless of genre. And to think when it dropped I didn't get into it at all.

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    It's cool so many people are talkin bout "Check Your Head." Damn album came out in 91' had mean hiphop, nice funk instros and punk rock. For the time that was serious

• Man, the beasties make me .

Sure Shot always gets me rocking about like a nut, not caring who's lookin.

Eggman is some dope shit.

Prof Booty is some beautiful shit.

I could go on naming tracks I like by these dudes awwwwwl day.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    Man, the beasties make me .

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    what was the next album? kinda fell off after check your head. i was getting head over heels for old records (looking for all those pauls boutique joints!)

what, no love for ill communication? thats easily one of my favorites of theirs, also the first thing i ever bought on vinyl!

"ricky's theme" is probably one of my favorite songs of all time, the beastie boys' live stuff has a REEALLY distinct style! pretty unique stuff.

still one of my favorite bands of all time.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

what, no love for ill communication? thats easily one of my favorites of theirs, also the first thing i ever bought on vinyl!

"ricky's theme" is probably one of my favorite songs of all time, the beastie boys' live stuff has a REEALLY distinct style! pretty unique stuff.

i like paul's boutique better. i recently bought some singles from pauls boutique on vinyl. such a dope sound and a beautiful production. by the dust brothers...

my ranking:

1) paul's boutique

2) check your head
    2) ill communication (i like them the same)

4) licensed to ill

i won't list their new records. i really don't like any of their new stuff.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts

i like paul's boutique better. i recently bought some singles from pauls boutique on vinyl. such a dope sound and a beautiful production. by the dust brothers...

my ranking:

1) paul's boutique

2) check your head
    2) ill communication (i like them the same)

4) licensed to ill

i won't list their new records. i really don't like any of their new stuff.

the newest one was a complete pile of shit! im a HUGE beastie boys fan and i wont even buy it just to complete the collection i hate it so much. ch-check it out was decent, i thought..i mean its a fun listen. but the rest of the album? YUCK.

paul's boutique is great. i love that album so much. mind-blowing.

check your head and ill communication are pretty much on the same level, i can agree with that.

never liked licensed to ill...in fact i dont think i really like much hip-hop at all from about 1983-1987 or so (hate me now)..i know the importance and have an appreciation, but i never sit down and listen to the stuff anymore. just not that interesting.

however i LOVE most stuff from 1988-1994 or so, sooo good.

and back to their newer stuff, honestly...even though most people hated hello nasty, i actually liked half the tracks off that album a lot. theres one track thats dominantly upright bass, drums and turntables..think its like track 8 but that song is reeeally good if you ask me. other tracks are good too. not a bad album at all but id definitely take pauls boutique any day of the week.

and im still amazed pauls boutique didnt blow everybodys mind when it came out! if i wasnt 2 i probably would have been freaking out.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

and back to their newer stuff, honestly...even though most people hated hello nasty, i actually liked half the tracks off that album a lot. theres one track thats dominantly upright bass, drums and turntables..think its like track 8 but that song is reeeally good if you ask me. other tracks are good too. not a bad album at all but id definitely take pauls boutique any day of the week.

but they still fell off. even the good tracks wouldn't have apperaded on paul's boutique, check your head or ill comunication. i agree though. some tracks off the hello nasty are quite good.

• I feel hello nasty. Im comfortable with that.

• 'Jimmy James' is the shit....

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

and im still amazed pauls boutique didnt blow everybodys mind when it came out! if i wasnt 2 i probably would have been freaking out.

Make no mistake, though, even though it was too much of a departure for many of their fans at the time, there were plenty of people getting into it when it came out, but more so by the early 90s. I had written them off as a one-LP band when I started working with this guy who played Paul's Boutique EVERY MORNING, and this was in '92. He would go on and on about how people thought the album sucked, but it was the shit, etc etc. That was when I came around(even though I eventually tired of it in endless rotation and was happy when he would choose "Check Your Head" on occasion as a nice change of pace). That LP became maybe the staple hip hop record of most 90s White hipsters who otherwise couldn't/wouldn't relate to Tribe or NWA or the Geto Boys, let alone much funk or soul. I think that it's responsible for many people's first forays into funk and soul during that time period.

• License To Ill was nuts to an 8 yr old that was loving metal and rap at the time. One of those records that my mom didnt want me listening to because heard about the hydraulic penis on stage during their live shows.

I totally looked over Pauls Boutique..just wasnt feeling it at the time(like most people..but went back to discover it again after Check Your Head dropped)

By the time Check Your Head came out..it was like the fucking coolest thing I could possibly imagine. The music,the style,etc...I fucking ate it up. For a teenage kid into skating and shit..it was my soundtrack. I was definately on some Pumas,Shelltoes, and vintage Adidas tracksuits type shit. A fun time..writing graffiti,smoking a lot of weed,getting drunk and reading Grand Royal.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    in fact i dont think i really like much hip-hop at all from about 1983-1987 or so (hate me now)..i know the importance and have an appreciation, but i never sit down and listen to the stuff anymore. just not that interesting.

BAN

IN 86, when Licensed dropped, I was at my high-school's women's basketball game. During the pregame shoot around, the opposing team put that Lp(cassette) on their little boombox while they ran the layup lines. I knew these cats were gonna blow when I saw thirteen 15 yearold private skool white chicks mouthin' the lyrics, while b-ballin'.

".....I did it with a wiffleball bat."

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    I really liked License to ill, except shit like "No sleep till" or "Fight for your right" Even then I thought that shit was cornball.

I enjoyed Pauls Boutique when it came out, but I wasnt blown away by it until 3 or 4 years later.

I HATED "Check your head" Still do. I liked "Pass the Mic" but that is it. But, I love Ill Communication. That shit is great to me.

Hello nasty isnt bad, its not great either. Some tracks I can get with..

NEW STUFF IS DOO DOO BUTTER>

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts

forgot about that one. I can get with that.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I really liked License to ill, except shit like "No sleep till" or "Fight for your right"

exactly

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    I always really liked the amount of music videos they had

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I always really liked the amount of music videos they had

I'ts a must have.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    the slept on status of pauls boutique almost seems like an urban myth to me now.. .but a can recall at the time gettign the tape right when it dropped (green) ... i straight up wore that tape out.. ran over it with the lawn mower / stiched it back together once when it broke.. anyhow about a year after it dropped i was a the record store in halifax (new cds = 24.99) and they had an entire bin of pauls boutiques on cd for $4.99!!! me and all my buddies immediatly copped.. i think it was the first album i ever had on casstte and cd...

but me and all my pals certainly palyed the fuck out of that lp... to the point that when check dropepd i personally found it to be a bit of a let down.. never even bought it or ill communication... for some reason i have hello nasty on wax though ??

i had lots and lots of fun when check your head came out. we got drunk at school all day and then went to the show at the trocadero. i was stage diving and got thrown out in the back alley by a bouncer, but i just went back around to the front and showed them my ticket and went back in. somehow my ribs were all black and blue after the show. shit was great.

i liked remote control.

the new style is the shit. man, liscenced to ill is classic

i appreciate that when they started putting those bullshit cd jukeboxes in bars, you could play bboy bouillabaise as one song and it was ten minutes long.
    HELLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BROOOOOOOOKLYNNNNN!!!!!!!

Damn doo', get outta my head. All you cats really.

Yeah, their last two albums suck balls, but the body of work preceeding speaks for itself.

What up on the early issues of Grand Royal Magazine??? The first 3 are essential. Full of hilarity *and* good writing. The cover of my first one fell off but I still gots it. There was a sick-long interview/piece on Lee Perry in the second one.

"Car Thief" is the definitive Beasties jam. I'd probably put "Slow and Low" second.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    There were a couple of reasons that PB didn't blow up. One, it's wasn't the "Drunk/SEX/Party" record that a huge portion of college kids copped licence to ill for. Remember, they were the ones that bought the album in the first place. In the beginning, almost everyone hated LTI. And I think that was one of the few reasons that the white college crowd (and also the skate kids of the mid 80's) got behind it. When PB dropped, almost everyone was waiting for LTI pt. 2 and alot of people were not feeling that it wasn't. 2nd, quite a few mainstream critics came out giving them big thumbs up on the album. And I think it didn't help. Kids didn't want an lp like that. Eventhough the production was pretty amazing, I think most were yerning for that anti-establishment record.