FIRST ALBUMS EVER BOUGHT

PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
My mom sent a stack of records that I've had at her house since I was a kid. Most of these albums I have no use for, or they would still be in my collection. This record was in the pile though. http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c5/Prime609/40funky.jpgThis was one of my first albums. 40 FUNKY HITS. Some of the tracks on the album; shimmy shimmy ko ko bop (little anthony and the imperials), alley oop (hollywood argyles), purple people eater meets the witch doctor(joe south), funky broadway (dyke & the blazers), beep beep (the playmates) ya ya (lee dorsey)....Not a bads kids album, all things considered. I remember other early albums like Fats Domino and a Beach Boys album that I bought "as seen on tv"Can anyone remember their early scores????

Comments

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts

this was the first i can remember. i love the primal chants

• Many a bong hit in high school to this LP (my first):

• first LP that I bought for myself, but I still got all my kiddie storybook records that my folks got me.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    i remember:

that was the first bought.

First acquired if i remember correctly was this one:

• not sure exactly which was the first, but this was the most memorable of the first batch:

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

• first record I remember listening to, I took it from my dad.

first record I remember getting...I'm sure my parents paid for it though.

first I remember buying with my own $$$.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

Not the first but THE MOST MEMORABLE!

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    it was probably something like:

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Red's Toy Store
    Utica Avenue and 51st
    Brooklyn, NY

• tuneuptuneup 586 Posts
    I love this question...

truly...the Lp was SUPERTRAMP "BREAKFAST IN AMERICA". Man i still love this Lp too, Just saw Roger Hodgson with a full symphony orchestra about a month ago (lead singer of the original group), and the shit was AMAZING. I guess after years of jazz/soul/hip-hop/reggae and more, i'm still a soft-rock fan!!!!

• Red's Toy Store
    Utica Avenue and 51st
    Brooklyn, NY

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    on vinyl it was probably a pink floyd record when I was in high shcool. First music I ever bought was a george harrison cassette. Cloud 9, I think.

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts

Remember when CDs first came out and they had the 12" tall packaging?

• a "Christmas money" two-fer at the Record Bar at the local mall, third or fourth grade:

and

I remember thinking that my new Kiss record sounded like crap compared to the Destroyer record that my cousin gave me....couldn't put it into words at the time but the live drums sounded like Peter Criss was slapping cardboard or something compared to those big-ass arena rock studio drums on Destroyer....

and that it was a big deal that there was a cuss word (damn!) in Queen's "Don't Try Suicide"....

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

I remember thinking that my new Kiss record sounded like crap compared to the Destroyer record that my cousin gave me....couldn't put it into words at the time but the live drums sounded like Peter Criss was slapping cardboard or something compared to those big-ass arena rock studio drums on Destroyer....

I was SOOO disapointed when I got this record home!
    By the time AliveII came out, I had memorized Destroyer, ALive!, Love Gun, and Rock and Roll Over. I was expecting the best record of all time(I mean, the cover looks rad as hell to a 9 year old!)....and I don't think I could even listen to it more than twice through.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts

• Remember when CDs first came out and they had the 12" tall packaging?

I was working in a record store when they stopped making longboxes for CD's in the spring of '93, because it was a waste of ecology or some such. Thereafter, we could always tell a slow-moving title by the fact that it was still in some crumpled-up box. I remember a lot of people were sad to see the longbox go, because they'd put them on the wall.

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    my first might have been this:

or this:

• My mom sent a stack of records that I've had at her house since I was a kid. Most of these albums I have no use for, or they would still be in my collection. This record was in the pile though. http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c5/Prime609/40funky.jpg

This was one of my first albums. 40 FUNKY HITS. Some of the tracks on the album; shimmy shimmy ko ko bop (little anthony and the imperials), alley oop (hollywood argyles), purple people eater meets the witch doctor(joe south), funky broadway (dyke & the blazers), beep beep (the playmates) ya ya (lee dorsey)....Not a bads kids album, all things considered.

The commercials for that album used to run like clockwork back in 1975. For some reason, the ads usually ran during cartoons, and I guess that's why everybody I've ever met who owns this elpee associates it with childhood. I don't even think it was meant to be a children's album, but it just kinda turned out that way. And for years after that, there were several K-Tel-type comps of novelty rock hits, all of which were knockoffs of 40 Funky Hits, all of which seemed to have the same songs (Ray Stevens was on just about all of them), and most of them had some kind of silly illustration for the titles. The used-record stores are littered with these "40 Goofy Greats"-type albums, so somebody was buying those fuckers like biscuits!

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    first bought (lil dude!):

first record i owned (given to me by my friend who didn't know jack about records, but picked it up for me at a thrift, cuz she knew i was getting a record player.):

• I remember thinking that my new Kiss record sounded like crap compared to the Destroyer record that my cousin gave me....couldn't put it into words at the time but the live drums sounded like Peter Criss was slapping cardboard or something compared to those big-ass arena rock studio drums on Destroyer....

I was SOOO disapointed when I got this record home! I was expecting the best record of all time(I mean, the cover looks rad as hell to a 9 year old!)....and I don't think I could even listen to it more than twice through.

no doubt - the LPs ended up in my closet but tacked the opened-up gatefold on my wall. crappy sound or not, that photo of them live inside with big ol' onstage explosions behind them was pretty sweet (um, to a 9 year old)...

Remember when CDs first came out and they had the 12" tall packaging?

I was working in a record store when they stopped making longboxes for CD's in the spring of '93, because it was a waste of ecology or some such.

Yeah, the early-90s seemed to be the salad days for renewed liberal causes. I remember being in grade school (I'm just a kid if you couldn't tell by what my first album was) when the decade turned and all of the sudden we were deluged with messages like "Its the 90s, its cool to recycle" or "Diversity is awesome, it's the 90's!". Mcdonalds stopped with the styrofoam and all that shit.

Oh how far we've come, ey?

• Remember when CDs first came out and they had the 12" tall packaging?

I was working in a record store when they stopped making longboxes for CD's in the spring of '93, because it was a waste of ecology or some such.

Yeah, the early-90s seemed to be the salad days for renewed liberal causes. I remember being in grade school (I'm just a kid if you couldn't tell by what my first album was) when the decade turned and all of the sudden we were deluged with messages like "Its the 90s, its cool to recycle" or "Diversity is awesome, it's the 90's!". Mcdonalds stopped with the styrofoam and all that shit.

I was in my early 20's at the time, and I remember that vibe too. Somewhere between the Gulf War and the L.A. riots, that's when the whole "politically correct" thing took hold. CHANGING THE TOPIC BACK TO RECORDS[/b] It got so heavy that I recall Rhino Records used to include "save the world" tips in the credits of their CD's (do they still?).

CHANGING THE TOPIC BACK TO RECORDS[/b] It got so heavy that I recall Rhino Records used to include "save the world" tips in the credits of their CD's (do they still?).

Dude, buying CDs is so 90's.

• THE first LP i bought for myself, MY BROTHERS ALREADY OWNED A COPY. I was so little
    (8?) that the ONLY music i knew was their 70s rock, so i wasnt even qualified to
    know what ELSE to buy with my $6 birthday money. Needless to say, bros tried to
    swap out their g+ copy with my still in shrink nm! but i was wise to their tricks!

drumroll please...

to my credit, "School" and "Bloody Well Right" kinda jam!

to my horrendous discredit, i THEN went out on a limb and tried to buy something my
    brothers didnt have..... a BRAND NEW LP by an artist they were already fans of... trying to impress them...

oy, this is painful....