Clarence Reid aka BLOWFLY

2»

Comments

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Clarence Reid had 2 LPs on Alston/Atco: the afforementioned "Running Water" (Alston 1973) and "Dancing With Nobody But You, Babe" (Atco/Alston 1969)

and one more on Alston/TK - On The Job, which I think is the one with "Nappy-Haired Cowboy"

and "Dancing with nobody but you" on the Tayster label, with different songs than the Atco LP

Shit - I forgot all about those - and the Tay-Ster has that pre-Photoshop Photoshop of Clarence on the moon. Hilarious.

Why you gotta correct a brother?

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    Damn!!! Thanks for the info on my man Clarence! I'll definately keep my eyes open when digging!!! Very imformative thread. The pics where great too. Blowfly played this summer at Silk City in Philly. As usual I had to work. So I missed him...

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

"And Bill Cosby, he's always on tv criticizin' people for being nasty. Y'all don't know how freaky Bill Cosby is. He used to take turds out of girls' asses and keep 'em for souvenirs. Had a whole line of 'em and could tell you the year on each one."

Hahahaha.

• Tom from Blowfly here.
    Cool thread. It may interest some of you that we're working up a Clarence Reid set
    for next year - and if there's interest, we'll be doing the first Clarence Reid tour in 30+ years. Recordings wise, "Funky Party" -- a comp of alston singles that includes "masterpiece" -- recently was issued by henry stone music.

If any of you have some rare shit and want us to play it - email me the mp3 at [email]tomblowfly@gmail.com[/email] and we'll learn it.

To those who are new to us, we have a new album on wax and cd entitled "Fahrenheit 69" on the alternative tentacles label. Buy one and keep Clarence working.

speaking of which - next week we start the longest Blowfly tour in ages, mostly in texas and the west coast. Two dates are with rudy ray moore. Those of you who haven't seen us since the spring or summer - we've added 10-15 songs to the set lists-- including 3 that have never been performed live before. For instance, we're now doing 4 songs off zodiac.

11/29/2005 The Nick Birmingham, AL
    11/30/2005 One Eyed Jack's New Orleans, LA
    12/01/2005 Texas Teahouse Dallas, TX
    12/02/2005 Rudyard's Houston, TX
    12/03/2005 Red Eyed Fly Austin, TX
    12/04/2005 The T Lounge El Paso, TX
    12/05/2005 Vaudeville Tucson, AZ w/ bob log III
    12/06/2005 Casbah San Diego, CA
    12/08/2005 Bottom of the Hill San Francisco, CA
    w/Harold Ray Live in Concert, Mr. Mixx(2 live crew)
    12/09/2005 Berbati's Pan Portland, OR
    12/10/2005 Funhouse Seattle, WA
    12/11/2005 3B Tavern Bellingham, WA w/ no fi soul rebellion
    12/12/2005 Lamplighter Vancouver, BC, Canada
    12/13/2005 John Henry's Eugene, OR
    12/14/2005 Humboldt Brewery Arcata, CA
    12/15/2005 Michelle's Santa Rosa, CA
    12/16/2005 Shattuck Down Low Berkeley, CA
    w/Harold Ray Live in Concert, Mr Mixx
    12/17/2005 Knitting Factory Hollywood, CA
    XXX-Xmas with Rudy Ray Moore, Mr Mixx, Greg Dulli
    12/19/2005 The Rhythm Room Phoenix, AZ
    w/ Rudy Ray Moore (a.k.a. Dolemite)
    12/21/2005 Sam's Burger Joint San Antonio

See you on the road!

• That Blowfly interview in Waxpo is incredible.

"And Bill Cosby, he's always on tv criticizin' people for being nasty. Y'all don't know how freaky Bill Cosby is. He used to take turds out of girls' asses and keep 'em for souvenirs. Had a whole line of 'em and could tell you the year on each one."

"Songs are like kids; they come out of your body and most of them aren't worth shit, but they're yours."

dj frane is a genius...and apparently he can write. good one andy. i know he's lurkin', show yourself you stoner

• why any Blowfly 12" on Metrovinyl Germany ? whis a Gema Number und a USA Adress ?

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    are all metrovinyl releases yellow?

• no ... different collors

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    cool.. now that i think abot it the record im thinking of is orange not yellow.

• the nick in birmingham alabama.....vote for dirtiest bar EVER in the south......also scurriest

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Classique. Bomp.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,102 Posts
    i saw him on the tour that smokedog mentioned! it was tight IIRC.

i still come across blowfly records pretty regularly for cheap. is that because he sold a lot of records, or that the blowfly stuff is not very sought after?

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    Bomp, because this quote seems especially prescient doesn't it?

Phill With 2 Ls said:
    That Blowfly interview in Waxpo is incredible.

• JATXJATX 258 Posts
    Was gonna quote that too ^^^ I believe Blowfly is telling the truth

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    DJ_NevilleC said:
    Ever notice that these two album covers were shot in the same room:

Should we do an LP Covers With Wood Paneling thread?

• RIP!