Clarence Reid aka BLOWFLY

PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
edited January 2016 in Music Talk
So awhile back I copped the Clarence Reid 45, funky party/winter man (alston). A solid 45. So I do some research and find out that Clarence Reid was Blowfly. News to me... He also co-wrote the classic Betty Wright track clean up woman. Any other Clarence Reid 45's or lp worth picking up? Possibly leaning towards the funky side?

Comments

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    Nobody But You Babe 45
    is the only I know. but I'd guess there's (many?) more

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    So awhile back I copped the Clarence Reid 45, funky party/winter man (alston). A solid 45. So I do some research and find out that Clarence Reid was Blowfly. News to me... He also co-wrote the classic Betty Wright track clean up woman. Any other Clarence Reid 45's or lp worth picking up? Possibly leaning towards the funky side?

did you just read wax poetics? is that your "Research"?

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

• I think he wrote for many artists, not sure who though.

His LP "Running Water" has some funky tracks like "If It Was Good Enough For Daddy" and "Living Together Is Keeping Us Apart".

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts

actually my research was allmusic.com I didn't go to the library or anything. Wax poetics is a fine periodical though. I forgot there is a blowfly article in the new wax poetics....I haven't finished reading the meters issue yet...Yea I know I'm backed up on all my magazines...

• Marco & Blowfly's message to all those who don't know Clarence Reid's catalogue:

But seriously, Clarence had a GANG of great funky soul singles on Alston, "Masterpiece" probably being his best and rarest. He even played it as Blowfly on the night the above pic was taken a few months ago. Primecuts, if you pick up every Clarence Reid single you find, I guarantee you won't be disappointed.

What's funny is that even recording as Reid, the man had some rudely-titled songs. "I'm Gonna Tear You A New Heart" and "Chicken Hawk" come to mind...

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Clarence Reid is one of my favorite soul singer/songwriters. For starters, anything he did on Alston is nearly flawless. Start there if you like "Winter Man." He had 2 LPs on Alston/Atco: the afforementioned "Running Water" (Alston 1973) and "Dancing With Nobody But You, Babe" (Atco/Alston 1969). He had a ton of non-album tracks, though, so you've got at least 15-20 singles to have fun discovering for yourself (and that's just on Alston). You should be able to get both LPs for under $20.

Some favorites (impossible, really, to whittle down): "I'm Gonna Tear You A New Heart," "If It Was Good Enough For My Daddy," and "Master Piece." Good luck finding that last one.

Also: try Betty Wright (also on Alston) for a similar sound.

Your journey is only beginning. Have fun.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

Marco - did he draw a dick on your album cover when he signed it? I've heard rumo(u)rs about that occurring (from Rob in Chicago).

• did he draw a dick on your album cover when he signed it?

Yes. In fact, he drew two on my BLOWFLY'S ZODIAC LP. One was small, the other was huge. The inscription went:

"TO MARCO (LITTLE DICK) FROM BLOWFLY (BIG DICK)"

Luckily he didn't draw any on my WLP "Masterpiece" 45.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    I'd like your triple/quadruple of "Master Piece," please. I've got at LEAST 50 on that. Heh.

• I'd like your triple/quadruple of "Master Piece," please.

Ha! Get in line!

What's funny is that it was one of my first funk 45 finds a few years back, and only cost $3, almost unplayed. I had no idea it was a rarity at the time, just loved the song.

• Marco & Blowfly's message to all those who don't know Clarence Reid's catalogue:

But seriously, Clarence had a GANG of great funky soul singles on Alston, "Masterpiece" probably being his best and rarest. He even played it as Blowfly on the night the above pic was taken a few months ago. Primecuts, if you pick up every Clarence Reid single you find, I guarantee you won't be disappointed.

What's funny is that even recording as Reid, the man had some rudely-titled songs. "I'm Gonna Tear You A New Heart" and "Chicken Hawk" come to mind...

dude needs a manicure.

• dude needs a manicure.

BAN

• that picture is awesome, his cap is

• if it is on Alston, and it isnt a beginning of the end 45, clarence prolly wrote it...also if it is on Dig, he prolly wrote it...Friday, Saturday, & Sunday...J.P. Robinson, Betty Wright, Jimmy Bo Horne...slews of others...my pic of Clarence showing off his freakshow long finger...

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    a few weeks ago he did a show out here in miami with rudy ray moore
    had a gig that night and wasnt able to make it
    but im sure it was legendary

• TNGTNG 234 Posts
    I don't think there's a Clarence picture taken from the last ten years that doesn't feature his middle finger nail. Really great cat. We spent a few hours with him in Austin in March and he had this to say about the record business:

"If a brontosaurus fucks you up the ass one time, you chalk it up to bad luck. But if a brontosaurus fucks you up the ass a second time, then it's your own damn fault."

As for tracks, I'd go with "Shake Your Ass" off the disco album. We're featuring some of his earliest songwriting on our upcoming Deep City label overview. More soulful than funky, but unbelievably great regardless.

• Ever notice that these two album covers were shot in the same room:

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Ever notice that these two album covers were shot in the same room:

Henry Stone's Office.

• awallawall 673 Posts
    my friend is his booking agent. apparently he talks about his dick. a lot.

• anyone got any dogcatchers 45s? i caught one in florida flea market a while abck...its dope. i was wondering how many there are

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    anyone got any dogcatchers 45s? i caught one in florida flea market a while abck...its dope. i was wondering how many there are

I have the one they did on Jato called "Nasty Dog" as Clarence Reid & the Dogcatchers. From the sound I'd say it was 67?

Now the mighty dogcatchers 45 is . I know one dude down here that owns it & most dealers have never seen it. One side was reissued on a Soul Patrol 45 from France. The drums @ the top are .

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    The rhythm track for "Master Piece" also appears on the first Blowfly album at the very end. And for the crowd, it's the loop behind Jurassic 5's "Quality Control."

As a 45, yeah, it's pretty damn rare but it's one of those 45s that so few people really know about that it can go for cheaper than it's probably worth simply because it flies under the radar. I copped mine for about $50 off of eBay but it took a year of waiting to see it pop up.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts

Blowfly is on myspace. Just checked and it looks like he is coming through Austin again in December. I need to go see his show this time around.

http://www.myspace.com/blowfly

• That Blowfly interview in Waxpo is incredible.

"And Bill Cosby, he's always on tv criticizin' people for being nasty. Y'all don't know how freaky Bill Cosby is. He used to take turds out of girls' asses and keep 'em for souvenirs. Had a whole line of 'em and could tell you the year on each one."

"Songs are like kids; they come out of your body and most of them aren't worth shit, but they're yours."

"TO MARCO (LITTLE DICK) FROM BLOWFLY (BIG DICK)"

CLASSIC.

• But seriously, Clarence had a GANG of great funky soul singles on Alston, "Masterpiece" probably being his best and rarest.

"Masterpiece" is good, but not his best and far from the rarest, even if you're only talking about funk-era Clarence Reid records. It got a national release unlike, say, "Mr. Hot Pants" or several of the other Alston singles.

The weird thing about his discography is how many Clarence Reid records came out under other people's names-- everyone from Johnny K. to Vicki Anderson-- not just under aliases for him, but people who had releases of their own.

• Options

"And Bill Cosby, he's always on tv criticizin' people for being nasty. Y'all don't know how freaky Bill Cosby is. He used to take turds out of girls' asses and keep 'em for souvenirs. Had a whole line of 'em and could tell you the year on each one."

"Songs are like kids; they come out of your body and most of them aren't worth shit, but they're yours."

I'm going to buy the magazine for those quotes alone.

K.

• anyone got any dogcatchers 45s? i caught one in florida flea market a while abck...its dope. i was wondering how many there are

I have the one they did on Jato called "Nasty Dog" as Clarence Reid & the Dogcatchers. From the sound I'd say it was 67?

Now the mighty dogcatchers 45 is . I know one dude down here that owns it & most dealers have never seen it. One side was reissued on a Soul Patrol 45 from France. The drums @ the top are .

There's at least 3:

The Mighty Dogcatchers: It's Gonna Be a Mess Pts. 1 and 2 (Green Gold)
    The Nasty Dog Catchers: Nasty Dog Pts. 1 and 2 (Reedsville)
    The Dog Catchers: Nasty Dog Pts. 1 and 2 (Jato)

• Clarence Reid had 2 LPs on Alston/Atco: the afforementioned "Running Water" (Alston 1973) and "Dancing With Nobody But You, Babe" (Atco/Alston 1969)

and one more on Alston/TK - On The Job, which I think is the one with "Nappy-Haired Cowboy"

• Clarence Reid had 2 LPs on Alston/Atco: the afforementioned "Running Water" (Alston 1973) and "Dancing With Nobody But You, Babe" (Atco/Alston 1969)

and one more on Alston/TK - On The Job, which I think is the one with "Nappy-Haired Cowboy"

and "Dancing with nobody but you" on the Tayster label, with different songs than the Atco LP