The Thing in Greenpoint

13»

Comments

• ScottScott 420 Posts
    I was in NYC last month, and passed by a place selling records, tapes, & VHS cassetes, with no sign. Really small...talked with the young dude working there, and he said he started it with a friend. "One Love Records" on 49th St. between 9th & 10th Ave.

Anyone heard of this place? Home of a lot of rinked records with no prices.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    yeach--condition on the old hip-hop 12"s are usually play-out-able as a strutter mentioned--but i did find some rare hardcore records there in minty shape--this one band--the virus--old nyc punk on ratcage (early beasties stuff was released on). that's like a 30 dollar record.
    i've pulled out not one--but two african records --the same thomas frimpong out of there (on two different occasions)--vg shape -- but decent. i think aleit has been trying to score one of those off me for awhile--i might give in.
    i found a minty test pressing of a sparque 12" on west end. i have found some dinosaur l joints.
    i don't mind digging through rejects if that is what they are.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    this one band--the virus--old nyc punk on ratcage (early beasties stuff was released on). that's like a 30 dollar record.

they used to have literally a couple hundred of those. i bought like 15 and would put them on ebay for 10-15 dollars a pop every few weeks. i still have 3 left i think...

while most stuff there is beat to shit, i have pulled out mint 100 or 200 dollar disco and hip hop 12" on multiple occasions.

this is getting harder and harder to do there, and now that i work during the day, and don't live in greenpoint, it's less and less worth my while to go by there.

yes, isaac owns both A-1 and The Thing, and you will even notice A-1 pricetags on alot of the stuff at the thing. that said, i don't know if you've ever gone thru a large collection in a limited amount of time, no matter how hard you try, things will slip thru, especially stuff that wasn't collectible at the time, i.e. electro or dirty south hip hop...

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    anyone know of some spot on Sunrise in Hempstead i believe?

might be somewhere else

10-15 mins east of JFK

i dunno the name but it was a huge shop

havent been there in yearsss

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts

infinity?

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts

Oh, and I got a Manzel - Midnight Theme there a few years back and it was glued to a 12". The track/artist info was blacked off so I ripped it off the 12" before knowing what it was.

• DongerDonger 854 Posts

might be somewhere else

10-15 mins east of JFK

search those memory banks please

i'm sick of hitting the same spots

• anyone know of some spot on Sunrise in Hempstead i believe?

might be somewhere else

10-15 mins east of JFK

My shop (Infinity) used to be right on Sunrise like 2 years ago.

We were at the Sunrise locale for over 3 years.

It's not Hempstead though.

There are some salvs in Hempstead though

and anyone ever go to Savers stores?

Joints.......