The Thing in Greenpoint

Comments

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    yeah...its on 5th.

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    does records wanted still exist? i heard about it but haven't been.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    see: King George

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    ok...that makes sense. warehouse by appointment in the bx right?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    One can still pull a lot of goods out of The Thing.
    I usually spend two or three hours in there and come out with about 20-30 dollars worth of top notch old school hip-hop raers and disco joints. i have found some afro stuff there too.
    It is defintely annoying--but I like the idea of unearthing something instead of just going to academy and hand picking already hand picked records.
    I'm more patient than most--which is why i love flea markets and thrifts.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    also -- i know for a fact that they get in new goods all the time at the thing--

i once saw several crates come in and yes--top stack was a bunch of rare hip-hop 12"s
    then dude saw i was looking at it and said, "those have just come in -- we got to take a look at them first."
    so--annoying and unorganized yes-- gems-- check!

• yeah they got some stuff. and yeah I like the *idea* of unearthing gems. but that was a lot of work, and I didn't walk away with the fiery samples I was hoping for. having said that I'll prolly go back in a month

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    fiery samples

fiery samples

fiery samples

• yeah that place is wack. hehe, Tollah shops there..

Paging Chrysler.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    You'll never find records in NYC. go away.

• does records wanted still exist? i heard about it but haven't been.

yeah, it does and they usually have some good shit. i'm not too happy about their on the spot pricing but you can come up on some decent goods.

yeah, it does and they usually have some good shit. i'm not too happy about their on the spot pricing but you can come up on some decent goods.

LOL dude that spot is GONE! I said above but I guess it didn't register, George closed doors a few weeks ago and now it's a travel agency or some shit

LOL dude that spot is GONE! I said above but I guess it didn't register, George closed doors a few weeks ago and now it's a travel agency or some shit
    really, i was just there in september!!

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    for varification... It's closed

really, i was just there in september!!

Yeah man, in September he was there! Go by there now, it's some russians booking plane tickets, I think you can cop a phone card there lol I went the last day it was pretty sad dude pulling his raers off the wall, of course "george what do you want on the Death Mix" "Eeeeeeeh, going to storage. Yop."

• house of oldies on carmine st.
    this guy aint the worst but just about everything in the store is NM or better. i've found some joints in his $10/dollar bin. lol.

• Post deleted by Melodious_Thunk

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    bad link

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    The Thing is kinda beat now, i started going there right when Larry closed Space Age Bachelor pad on 10th and

is the thing larry's place ??

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts

infinityrecords.net

Come say hello y'all...

that's a long way to go for some bullshit.

• that's a long way to go for some bullshit.

Have you ever been here? How can you assume it is bully?

It's like a 35 min ride from Penn

35 min is too "dedicated" for you ?

• that looks aight, but it looks like a hike. I don't take the LIRR, or buses. buses are for losers... sorry, its true.

• aegisaegis 261 Posts
    I usually spend two or three hours in there and come out with about 20-30 dollars worth of top notch old school hip-hop raers and disco joints. i have found some afro stuff there too.
    It is defintely annoying--but I like the idea of unearthing something instead of just going to academy and hand picking already hand picked records.

I'll second this.

The Thing still has lots of worthwhile hip-hop and disco, but I rarely find any worthwhile soul, jazz, funk, etc. there anymore. Sometimes some alright latin, but the hip-hop keeps me going back every couple of weeks. It's been a while since I got something mind blowing, like doubles of the Soul Clap EP og testpress, but its still worth it. Last trip got me SLick Rick's Its A Boy 12", UMC's Fruit of Nature LP, AL Green's Love and Happiness 12", etc.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts

that's a long way to go for some bullshit.

Have you ever been here? How can you assume it is bully?

It's like a 35 min ride from Penn

35 min is too "dedicated" for you ?

yeah, traveling for records is not really my thing. lol

i've been a couple times, but never found anyting special enough to make it worth the trip. I heard it used to be pretty dope though, and i dont doubt that.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts

I'll second this.

The Thing still has lots of worthwhile hip-hop and disco, but I rarely find any worthwhile soul, jazz, funk, etc. there anymore. Sometimes some alright latin, but the hip-hop keeps me going back every couple of weeks. It's been a while since I got something mind blowing, like doubles of the Soul Clap EP og testpress, but its still worth it. Last trip got me SLick Rick's Its A Boy 12", UMC's Fruit of Nature LP, AL Green's Love and Happiness 12", etc.

how was the condition on these?

• If you get burnt, that's on you methinks.

pretty much.

Where's he at now?

One of his many storage lockers in the BX, at the Avenue A flea market, or somewhere in his chromed out hummer.

*I never got how a record dealer can afford a chromed out hummer. Maybe I should just stack def jam promos in so many ceiling-high piles and the money'll start rolling in!

Actually through the 90s, record dealers were making piles of money, especially if they had the label connects. I know a few that have a stupid amount of money stashed away. Talking property in multiple cities, states, and still money left over to do whatever they want... Their paychecks on a weekly basis now are not what they used to be but are anywhere from 5K-10K per week... maybe 3K on a bad week.

ps. if that was sarcasm, or inside joke, sorrytoanswerseriously.

• aegisaegis 261 Posts

I'll second this.

Varying levels of beat. Soul Claps each have one (different) playable side, while the other is more questionable. Not like I'm playing those out, though - I have a soul clap 12 on payday, also from the Thing, for playing. The other stuff I mentioned is all playable, on the stuff I would play, except the UMC's which was still in the shrinkwrap, so the cover is nice, but the lp is too quiet plus a bit scuffed for playing.

The biggest problem with stuff from there is condition. The stuff I buy is always play-out-able, but not always in a condition to get mint money. For example, I got a Step In The Arena 12" last time too, but the cover is a little water damaged and I would probably not play the instrumental side because of the condition, but the A side is nice.

Oh, and I got a Manzel - Midnight Theme there a few years back and it was glued to a 12". The track/artist info was blacked off so I ripped it off the 12" before knowing what it was.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    halfway through a message and then my computer started to do some craaazzy things, i think cause i was working in OS9, okay too much info.

Some comments

The Thing:

Never been there and never really seemed worth the time. As I've been informed, it is basically a dumping ground for A1 rejects- same owner. Not to say that things may not slip through the cracks or if you're not looking for the rarest record in the world so you can attach a Popsike link to it when you post a pic on soulstrut, you may find some nice stuff.... but if you want to go through the dregs of what didn't make it into the record shop in manhattan, that's your spot.

5th & 9th St. shop:

1) Not the worst shop and not complete doo doo- i used to hit it on the way home from work as it was by the gymn and my house. I've found plenty of nice titles there- cheap latin records, a clean copy of the Professionals on Tour, Doug Carn - Adam's Apple, weirdo private freakout records.... not a goldmine, but definitely a place where bits and pieces can occasionally turn up.

2) Worth going to just to hear the owner- Tony- talk to himself and argue with the seriously nutbag regulars.

Records Wanted:

Jonny Paycheck- do not question why George drives a hummer, you will understand in the years to come as you capitalize off your success. Good Records will become Better.

that's it.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    Sorry, maybe A*i is being sarcastic.... I just spent the day reading soulstrut from my new contract job at Shittygroup. I made more money doing nothing at a desk than you guys could in a month of Sundays, but if I showed up in a Hummer I'd get laughed at for being nouveau rich. I do know at 2tons the Hummer counts as agricultural machinery and is thus eligible for massive tax writeoffs (depreciating capital investment I think). Whether he can afford to fill it up is another question.

He would have moved because the lease is up, and he did the math.

That said, I'm sure some of you guys will be far more successful than him. I bet he knows fuck all about psychbraekraer

• One can still pull a lot of goods out of The Thing.

I'll second this.

yeah, that's what I was gonna ask, cause I've come up on some good $2 finds, but they are