The Thing in Greenpoint

El_MezcalitoEl_Mezcalito 312 Posts
edited November 2005 in Record Collecting
After living in BK for a year, I finally made the trip over there. At first I almost creamed my pantaloons, seeing all those rekurds. But god there was so much crap. I found some raerish dancehall and hip hop to spin out, but almost nothing sample-worthy. I think this place may be overrated. whatup NY strutters?Not as good as the Driggs spot

Comments

• CLabCLab 76 Posts
    i first got to it around '99? i think. patrick adams for days. around '02 noticed a lot more japanese guys with printouts and dusk masks. haven't been in years.

• youre not missing much. I think I'm done with these "no organization" stores. fuckin put em in order. I don't mind digging, but that shits ridiculous. I don't mess with King George on the LES either. no organization, and dude ripped me off pretty bad one time.

• WHERE DO JAPANESE PEOPLE KEEP ALL TOSE RECORDS IN THOSE TINY ASS APARTMENTS?

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    WHERE DO JAPANESE PEOPLE KEEP ALL TOSE RECORDS IN THOSE TINY ASS APARTMENTS?

They build record stores out of records and their parents are so rich that they just sit there until Josh comes knocking.

I went to the Thing for the first time in about 2 years last Friday. There's a few things here and there but anything with a braek left years ago. Owners aren't as cocky as they used to be.

What's with the "Don't enter this section" section?

• I don't mess with King George on the LES either. no organization, and dude ripped me off pretty bad one time.

How did George rip you off? You grab the records, dude gives you prices. If you get burnt, that's on you methinks.

Btw, George's spot is RIP.

I have never been to "The Thing". I have never regretted not going.

• Every Japanese person has a Collector Item room ... b/c Japanese people collect weird stuff. A model friend of mine sold her panties to a Japanese businessman for several G's.

If you get burnt, that's on you methinks.

pretty much.

Where's he at now?

• If you get burnt, that's on you methinks.

pretty much.

Where's he at now?

One of his many storage lockers in the BX, at the Avenue A flea market, or somewhere in his chromed out hummer.

*I never got how a record dealer can afford a chromed out hummer. Maybe I should just stack def jam promos in so many ceiling-high piles and the money'll start rolling in!

• yeah you're prolly right about George. But its easier to be mad at him than myself.

• What's with the "Don't enter this section" section?

thats the best part. you went in there right?

What's with the "Don't enter this section" section?

thats the best part. you went in there right?

No, is there like a special crate that you push and the wall of records magically slides back?

• No, is there like a special crate that you push and the wall of records magically slides back?

yep

• so whats the best NYC digging spot then?
    1. Driggs?
    2. A-1
    3. Thing
    4. Academy BK
    other?
    FORM METHOD=POST ACTION="http://soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/dopoll.php">INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="pollname" VALUE="1131998773El_Mezcalito">

Best NY dig spot[/b]

• Good Records NYC

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    I don't mess with King George on the LES either. no organization, and dude ripped me off pretty bad one time.

How did George rip you off? You grab the records, dude gives you prices. If you get burnt, that's on you methinks.

Btw, George's spot is RIP.

I have never been to "The Thing". I have never regretted not going.

when did George close down?

The Thing is kinda beat now, i started going there right when Larry closed Space Age Bachelor pad on 10th and Academy took over (2000, maybe?) and i would drop a hundred bucks no problem and get stacks of great stuff. now, unless you get there right when they put stuff out, forget about it... that said, i've written off the Thing as dead many times over the last 5 years, only to be surprised...

so whats the best NYC digging spot then?

1. Driggs?

2. A-1

3. Thing

4. Academy BK

other?

FORM METHOD=POST ACTION="http://soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/dopoll.php">INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="pollname" VALUE="1131998773El_Mezcalito">

Best NY dig spot[/b]

5. Other

A-1 is not a spot for "digging" unless you only buy New York house and techno, or if you think $12 is a fair price for a TK Disco single.

Academy BK is the closest thing to "digging" in a physical store in NYC, but usually it's stuff that slipped by the staff. The reggae and latin sections may as well be kept in the trash, but you can get cheap non raer hip hop and CTis all minty in shit. And I like how the wall records are reasonable enough for window shoppers like me to consider them.

Driggs - do you mean Junk? That place got cleaned out. Partly by me! La Pregunta for 50c, um OK.

I don't do the 26th St Market but know a few who do. The best fleas are in *.*.*.*.*.*., ******

• Good Records NYC

wheres this? never heard of it

• Good Records NYC

wheres this? never heard of it

179 East 3rd Street btwn Ave A & B Manhattan

www.goodrecordsnyc.com

• oooooh yeah my boy told me about that spot but he told me the wrong streets. good look!!

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Good Records NYC

PAYING IS NOT FINDING

• Good Records NYC

PAYING IS NOT FINDING

agreed peace, 'check . . .

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Good Records NYC $3 bin

I like The Thing (when I got the time and energy to go to fucking greenpoint) because I really enjoy being buried in dusty records and coming out with $30 worth of random shit I might not check for otherwise.

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    how 'bout shitty record spots in nyc?
    the spot in bklyn at the 4th ave/9th st stop is awful! $25 for blue magic common lp's is pathetic.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    the spot in bklyn at the 4th ave/9th st stop is awful! $25 for blue magic common lp's is pathetic.

house of oldies on carmine st.

• how 'bout shitty record spots in nyc?

LOL! I'll mention 2nd Hand Rose.

At Tapes & Records (5th Ave/9th) you can still pull stuff dude doesn't know though.... gotta be quick though because Crazypoprock sleeps in the basement or something

That place is pretty abysmal, I've only scored there once...but I pulled Brian Eno's entire 70's catalogue and was pretty psyched at the time. I walk by there all the time but haven't found shit since.

• asparagusasparagus Northampton, MA 333 Posts

That place is pretty abysmal, I've only scored there once...but I pulled Brian Eno's entire 70's catalogue and was pretty psyched at the time. I walk by there all the time but haven't found shit since.

you're talking about 4thAve&9th or 5thAve&9th?

If it's that 'records' place on 5th&9th, yeah. place is pretty ass. They try to swindle just about everybody that walks in there.

• 5thAve&9th

• yeah that place is wack. hehe, Tollah shops there..

LOL! I'll mention 2nd Hand Rose.

At Tapes & Records (5th Ave/9th) you can still pull stuff dude doesn't know though.... gotta be quick though because Crazypoprock sleeps in the basement or something

that and monkone lurks there as well...

My new fave spot is in my neighborhood: Israel's spot on Fulton and Franklin in the BK - in the basement underneath a caribbean patty joint. Sa**a - you'd dig it cause they got a little reggae/soca section.

It's small, and some of the better stuff he prices up higher (Eric B & Rakim "The R" 12 for $15 - schnipper!! where's mine?!?!) but I can spend a couple hours there easy.